PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting media

DAM shop
08-13-2018, 12:21 PM
What are some of you using for sandblasting media? I have a steele fender with 4 coats of paint and the 80 grit glass does not seem to be cutting through it. This is our first blast cabinet, so I'm not even sure everything is working right, if it is this media isn't cutting the mustard sort of speak.

wonderboy
08-13-2018, 01:37 PM
In general, aluminum oxide is more aggressive than the glass media. However, you could have issues warping the panel if the media is too aggressive.

When dealing with difficult coatings, you can first use a chemical stripper to get the bulk of the material removed, then finish with the media blasting to make the surface nice and uniformly clean.

Shep1970
08-13-2018, 02:02 PM
I use this in the gun- no blast cabinet though... I spread out a tarp and make a mess......
Use it on everything it works good and cleans everything nice. I just get it at harbor freight tools by the jug when needed.

Shep

Gabriel
08-13-2018, 02:38 PM
I use playbox sand from Lowe's. I like Lowe's because they store it INSIDE, so it's dry. I sift it through an old screen window. It's pretty aggressive though. Tread lightly until you see how it works for you.

DAM shop
08-13-2018, 06:19 PM
My other question is ventilation. Can I just vent with a motor to the outside? Do I need positive pressure? I see guys venting to a shop vac through a bucket with a funnel system or water. I would rather vent to the outside with say a dryer vent of sorts.

Dirtcrasher
08-20-2018, 02:26 PM
I use size 0 aluminum oxide, 00 for a more delicate finish (which is probably HD sandbox sand). I found "Black Beauty" to cost me a damn fortune and didn't get the results I expected.

The most important thing is sandblasting, is maintaining the CFM's required to run the gun, cabinet or other set up.

The compressor should not run all the time while your blasting, or it's too small.

That's when the cost of blasting gets expensive. I've got a 80 gallon dual piston vertical compressor and it does everything I need it to do - thankfully...

Not cheap though...

wellys88
01-11-2019, 12:35 AM
Very important to use water separator between compressor and blaster. Black beauty. Which is coal slag will strip most paints is you have constant psi usually around 125psi. Depending on setup. Black beauty is available for building supply places usually around 11$ a bag. Or buy by the half ton bag cheaper can be used several times if you are set up for it. And can separate it from waste and dust. 2-3 uses it's pretty well broken down and turns to dust. Crushed walnut shells are another less aggressive media. Or soda blasting