PDA

View Full Version : New member with a 81' ATC250r ????

BuggTussel
08-29-2018, 06:39 PM
254250254248254249Hello everyone, I got ahold of my cousins 250r recently. He was the only owner and it sat in my Uncles barn for nearly my whole childhood. I grew up a diehard quad rider and racer, but this machine always intrigued me. Anyway, I got a hold of it and I've tore it apart to see what all I needed to replace. The motor will turnover but I've not touched it due to not wanting to jack something up, the overall condition is excellent expect minor surface rust, the rims are the worse, the plastic is intact and smooth.

Here are my issues, mainly I can't get the front axle out of the damn carrier to get the chassis rolling! (tires are dry rotted)
I'm have zero knowledge of how to rebuild a 2 stroke as well.

What would be you gentlemen's advice on how proceed with this project, I'm not afraid to spend a few $ because this will be something I plan on keeping and passing on to my son. Thanks in advance...

Rob Canadian
08-29-2018, 07:25 PM
Welcome to the 'hood Bugg. Were you in the movie 'Uncle Buck'? :)

Lots of penetrating fluid. Everywhere. I am not very familiar with that trike myself but I am sure someone will chime in.

Post up pics. We all love pics.

x-rider
08-30-2018, 12:52 AM
Pics. I may have a few parts...

BuggTussel
08-30-2018, 08:26 AM
254243254241 254242 254244 254245

That took way too much time to upload, man I'm getting old!

yaegerb
08-30-2018, 08:51 AM
Hello everyone, I got ahold of my cousins 250r recently. He was the only owner and it sat in my Uncles barn for nearly my whole childhood. I grew up a diehard quad rider and racer, but this machine always intrigued me. Anyway, I got a hold of it and I've tore it apart to see what all I needed to replace. The motor will turnover but I've not touched it due to not wanting to jack something up, the overall condition is excellent expect minor surface rust, the rims are the worse, the plastic is intact and smooth.

Here are my issues, mainly I can't get the front axle out of the damn carrier to get the chassis rolling! (tires are dry rotted)
I'm have zero knowledge of how to rebuild a 2 stroke as well.

What would be you gentlemen's advice on how proceed with this project, I'm not afraid to spend a few $ because this will be something I plan on keeping and passing on to my son. Thanks in advance...

Lots of heat on the front hub. Basically the bolt has rust-welded itself to the inner bearing race and possibly the collars. Invest in some Kroil oil for penetrating lubricant before heating. If you want the engine overhauled send me a PM.

BuggTussel
08-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Lots of heat on the front hub. Basically the bolt has rust-welded itself to the inner bearing race and possibly the collars. Invest in some Kroil oil for penetrating lubricant before heating. If you want the engine overhauled send me a PM.

Thanks, I've soaked it with 2 different brands of penetrating oils with no success. I'll have to hunt someone down with a torch. I'll look into the Kroil oil. Thank you for your input.

350for350
08-30-2018, 09:02 PM
Sometimes it also helps to heat it up and then quench it with the penetrating oil. You may have to repeat this a couple of times.

BuggTussel
09-01-2018, 12:11 PM
I have it soaking again, we'll throw some heat to it one day.