PDA

View Full Version : Back for carburetor help 1985 Honda 200S

Fratolicious
09-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Hey all. I ended up changing my carb with an Amazon 16 dollar replacement. Same size and seems to be of good quality as well. Here's what I got...

1. Start 1st pull.
2. Idles great
3. Drives smooth / good

My problem is at idle if I smash the throttle it will want to stall. I'm sure it's an air/fuel issue. When I put the choke on ever so slightly it revs up no problem. I can't seem to get the idle air/fuel adjustment to effect it much. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Gabriel
09-01-2018, 04:30 PM
I've had the same issue. Pull the jet from your old carb, clean it and swap them out. I'm finding out from several people that the chinese carbs are jetted totally wrong.

I think we all need to realize that these cheap carburetors are not actually carburetors. They are Complete carburetor kits. It's kinda like they're saying, Here's what you need to have a good carburetor, we've assembled it so the parts don't get lost or damaged. Please assemble correctly and make sure all parts are within spec before installation.

And honestly, for less than $20.....can we really gripe? LOL!!

One thing you might check too, the insides are often poorly machined. Look for burrs and even chips in the passageways.

Good luck.

Fratolicious
09-01-2018, 04:40 PM
I've had the same issue. Pull the jet from your old carb, clean it and swap them out. I'm finding out from several people that the chinese carbs are jetted totally wrong.

I think we all need to realize that these cheap carburetors are not actually carburetors. They are Complete carburetor kits. It's kinda like they're saying, Here's what you need to have a good carburetor, we've assembled it so the parts don't get lost or damaged. Please assemble correctly and make sure all parts are within spec before installation.

And honestly, for less than $20.....can we really gripe? LOL!!

One thing you might check too, the insides are often poorly machined. Look for burrs and even chips in the passageways.

Good luck.

Thanks working on it as I type. Silly question but it it easy to swap the jets? I've never done that before. Very very new with these ATC's

Gabriel
09-01-2018, 06:56 PM
No it ain't hard. Get yourself a manual so you'll have the IPL. [illustrated parts list] Pictures are work a thousand words.

350for350
09-01-2018, 09:31 PM
It sounds like your pilot jet is too small. maybe you can swap the one in from your other carb. All it takes is to remove the bowl and, using a small flat tip screwdriver, unscrew the smaller jet (the pilot) and then screw the other one back in it's place.

Fratolicious
09-01-2018, 10:36 PM
It sounds like your pilot jet is too small. maybe you can swap the one in from your other carb. All it takes is to remove the bowl and, using a small flat tip screwdriver, unscrew the smaller jet (the pilot) and then screw the other one back in it's place.

I can handle that. Thanks for the added detail! Going to work on it in the AM. Thanks again!

Fratolicious
09-03-2018, 11:23 PM
I wanted to follow up on my thread since I had a long weekend changing /tuning my carb. 350for350 was correct on the jet size difference. I found the aftermarket carb jet holes that are all around the pin were almost 1/2 the size. Long story short I ended up using my original carb after a thorough cleaning because I couldn't get my aftermarket tuned correctly. So now a new question as a result. I've attached a picture that hopefully will help. My OEM carb has a hole coming out left side near the choke lever. The aftermarket carb has the same hole except it's plugged with a small hollow brass pin. It has one small pin hole on it that's visible. I'm able to pop it in and out. What is the hole? Did I have a problem getting my aftermarket carb to tune properly because I left that in? I worked so much on this carb stuff that I want some closure. Haha. Thanks for all the previous help. I sure learned a lot this weekend.