PDA

View Full Version : Back for Carburetor help.. part 2 1985 Honda 200S

Fratolicious
09-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Had a problem over the weekend with an aftermarket carb. I could not get it tuned correctly. 350for350 suggested in a previous thread that he has found most aftermarket carbs are correct in size but multiple people have found problems with the jet size and I should unscrew pilot and main jets from my OEM carb, clean, and install.

I wanted to follow up on my previous thread since I had a long weekend changing /tuning my carb. 350for350 was correct on the jet size difference. I found the aftermarket carb jet holes that are all around the pin were almost 1/2 the size. Long story short I ended up using my original carb after a thorough cleaning because I couldn't get my aftermarket tuned correctly still. So now a new question as a result. I've attached a picture that hopefully will help. My OEM carb has a hole coming out left side near the choke lever. The aftermarket carb has the same hole except it's plugged with a small hollow brass pin. It has one small pin hole on it that's visible. I'm able to pop it in and out. What is the hole? Did I have a problem getting my this aftermarket carb to tune properly because I left that in? I worked so much on this carb stuff that I want some closure. Haha. Thanks for all the previous help. I sure learned a lot this weekend.

Shep1970
09-04-2018, 05:19 PM
It’s the vent for the bowl- if it wasn’t there gas would not flow. There’s usually a 6” inch hose attached that just hangs below the carb. U should be able to blow through it.(into top of float chamber)
This hole correct? screwdriver is pointing at.254332 254333

If the float didn’t stop the fuel hight/ then I suppose fuel would leak out. Sound right?

Shep

Gabriel
09-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Some of the chinese carbs have a brass extension pressed into the aluminum body but it is NOT drilled. The last one I bought was that way. Made me wonder if poor float chamber ventilation could affect the quality of running.

Shep1970
09-04-2018, 05:51 PM
The carb in the pics is also a china paperweight/ no matter what I did the machine never ran right—— i would melt it down for casting but the aluminum too is probably also crap.....:)

Shep

Fratolicious
09-04-2018, 06:25 PM
The carb in the pics is also a china paperweight/ no matter what I did the machine never ran right—— i would melt it down for casting but the aluminum too is probably also crap.....:)

Shep

That's the exact hole that I'm talking about! So it doesn't effect operation at all? Thanks for the response. The only way I could get my machine to run perfect was to just clean my OEM carb and re-install. I was thinking that could of been why the aftermarket carb didn't work all that well.

Fratolicious
09-04-2018, 06:30 PM
Some of the chinese carbs have a brass extension pressed into the aluminum body but it is NOT drilled. The last one I bought was that way. Made me wonder if poor float chamber ventilation could affect the quality of running.

It made me wonder because I could not get the aftermarket carb to tune.

Shep1970
09-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Some guys have had good luck with the Chinese carbs. I’ve learned just to use oem and a good rebuild kit..... well my Tri-zinger has a China carb body “but” all oem insides and it runs great.

Shep
If your carb wasn’t venting, yes it would affect it-

350for350
09-04-2018, 09:07 PM
I just stick to OEM too. If I have to pay as much as four Chinese carbs to get one, so be it. When I got my SX in 2014, did have to have Flyingw rebuild it for me? NO! I did it because I wanted it to be right when I wanted to use the trike. That's the same reason I just use OEM carbs. Quality isn't expensive, it's priceless!

Tri-Z 250
09-05-2018, 12:13 PM
I just stick to OEM. Quality isn't expensive, it's priceless!
Quote of the day

Fratolicious
09-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Quote of the day

After my battle this weekend is my quote for life!