PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions here. 1985 Honda 200s Clutch question

Fratolicious
09-06-2018, 09:17 PM
My clutch just doesn't seem right to me. It seems to shift fine, no slipping but I'm thinking something is wrong. Shouldn't I be able to click into gear, and by holding up on gear and not releasing it..act like it's in neutral? Or the equivalent of a manual clutch? When I click into gear, even holding it.. has no effect. It will just drive like normal. Can someone give me some insight on this? Thanks!

Gabriel
09-07-2018, 06:17 AM
There's 2 clutches in there. One can be adjusted. Read your manual for step by step instructions. Its easy to do

Fratolicious
09-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the response. I have the manual and the simple adjustment has been made. Let me clarify...

If I shift from neutral to first, click up into gear and hold it, should my machine drive while holding the gear up? Even with the simple adjustment on the side the shift lever has no spring feel just play no matter how it's adjusted. I'm thinking the internal clutch is not engaging or worn out. I'm trying to determine what the normal is to determine what is actually occurring.

wonderboy
09-07-2018, 10:13 AM
I think you are correct in thinking that by holding up (or down) on the shift lever, it should keep the manual clutch disengaged. The other clutch, the centrifugal clutch, is controlled by engine speed.

My 200ES Big Red (same basic engine arrangement) operates this way. While moving, I can hold up or down on the shifter and the machine will begin to free-wheel.

With regard to the clutch adjustment, make sure you are adjusting the screw the right way. I seem to remember that the direction you turn the screw seems intuitively backwards. If my memory is correct, once you loosen the adjusting nut, you should turn the screw counter-clockwise (please check the manual before following my direction) until you feel resistance. This is the point at which you are pushing the clutch arm into the manual clutch. So at this point, there is no free play in the lever, so as a test you could try your experiment with the adjuster at this tight position and see what you get. The final setting though has you back off of this position by a small amount and then lock it with the locknut. (you want the freeplay so you don't run the risk of wearing out the clutch plates by allowing a tiny amount of constant slip).

If it still doesn't seem to work right, I guess you'll need to pull the side cover and give things a visual inspection to see if something is broken.

Fratolicious
09-07-2018, 11:27 AM
I think you are correct in thinking that by holding up (or down) on the shift lever, it should keep the manual clutch disengaged. The other clutch, the centrifugal clutch, is controlled by engine speed.

My 200ES Big Red (same basic engine arrangement) operates this way. While moving, I can hold up or down on the shifter and the machine will begin to free-wheel.

With regard to the clutch adjustment, make sure you are adjusting the screw the right way. I seem to remember that the direction you turn the screw seems intuitively backwards. If my memory is correct, once you loosen the adjusting nut, you should turn the screw counter-clockwise (please check the manual before following my direction) until you feel resistance. This is the point at which you are pushing the clutch arm into the manual clutch. So at this point, there is no free play in the lever, so as a test you could try your experiment with the adjuster at this tight position and see what you get. The final setting though has you back off of this position by a small amount and then lock it with the locknut. (you want the freeplay so you don't run the risk of wearing out the clutch plates by allowing a tiny amount of constant slip).

If it still doesn't seem to work right, I guess you'll need to pull the side cover and give things a visual inspection to see if something is broken.

That's exactly what I wanted to confirm..as far as when the shift lever is held it will free wheel. It currently does not do that. I'll adjust the side screw again and see if I get any change. I have a feeling I'll be opening it up unfortunately. Thanks for all the help.

Mike

El Camexican
09-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Think of it this way if you haven’t already: Holding your shift lever up should have the same effect as pulling in a handlebar mounted clutch lever.

That foot activated clutch ( the secondary clutch) is always engaged with the centrifugal (primary) clutch by means of steel gears.