PDA

View Full Version : She started! Cigar and smoke... (but too much unfortunately)

oracle
09-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Hi,
Finally I got her going. I think cleaning the connections, new battery, de-rusting the tank and cleaning the carb made her come alive!

Unfortunately she's smoking a lot.. especially at high revs.

What are your thoughts? Is there anything I should test besides a re-ring of cylinder?

Thanks

350for350
09-16-2018, 08:13 PM
First, check your compression (you always hold the throttle open while doing this unless the carb's off). If it's low, try squirting a little bit of oil, ATF, etc. in the cylinder and recheck the compression. If it's pretty close, then it's in your valves. Maybe in the adjustment. If it's not very close, then your rings are worn. If your compression is ok, then it's probably in your valve seals. The first test is called a dry test. The second test is called (naturally) a wet test.

oracle
09-16-2018, 08:48 PM
Hi,

And for that I need a compression tool kit right?

And can you please elaborate a bit more on why the throttle open (The carb is mounted) ?

And if possible can you please expand a little bit more on the process? (I have a good idea but I've never done it).

thanks

350for350
09-17-2018, 08:34 PM
The throttle needs to be opened when doing the test in order to let enough air into the cylinder. No air, no compression. I gained 60 PSI with throttle open VS. throttle closed on a stock 1985 YTM225 when I tested this out. Basically, remove the spark plug, install the fitting for the tester into the spark plug threads (hand tight is enough since they seal with an O-ring), install the gauge if it disconnects from the fitting, then crank the engine over while watching the needle on the gauge of the tester. When the needle stops moving, that's your compression reading. It only takes a few revolutions of the engine to get the maximum reading. When done, release the pressure in the tester before unhooking it in any way. There's a bleeder that you push in on for this. Finally, yes you do need a compression tester. All of this seems simple to me because I learned about it in High School Auto shop. I also understand that a lot of people may not have the same background as I do and I give them props for wanting to learn and do this on their own.