PDA

View Full Version : What age should kids start riding?

12-08-2002, 12:20 AM
What age should kids start riding? I'm not very familiar with any small trikes or quads with the exception of the honda 70. I have a 3 yr old daughter that takes the first 15 min of every ride I take on my 350x. The faster the better, she yells "Oh come on Daddy, faster! faster!" I ride a lot of wheelies but I refuse to attempt it with her on it. Makes her furious! I also have a 16 month old daughter that will inherit whatever she gets. Does a polaris make a good "wife bike".

Howdy
12-08-2002, 01:03 AM
That varies from kid to kid. If the kid is mature enough and is trained proper 3 years of age is fine. Other wise wait until they learn that crashes hurt. But NEVER let them ride by them self un watched until they are older.

skippy
12-08-2002, 06:38 PM
well,, i started when i was 5 1/2 and my son will start then also... he currently has 2 atc 70's, a tri zinger, and an eton, waiting for him! the wife says just make sure he is safe! his little brother(now 3 months old) will inherit his ole bikes!

85200xer
12-09-2002, 03:09 AM
I started at age 5 on a honda 50cc bike and a skidoo citation snowmobile. Age 5 is perfect ;)

Wickedfinger
12-09-2002, 06:25 PM
... As soon as they can master the skills it takes to ride a bicycle.

Instinctz
12-09-2002, 08:02 PM
I started under the age of 3 years old.. hehe well I dunno if you count it but I road one of those electric atc's.

I dunno if it ever worked, but I remember having it.

Big Darn Mike C
12-09-2002, 08:51 PM
I rode an atc 70 for the first time when I was 3 years old. Best time of my life!

ATC crazy
12-11-2002, 08:32 PM
My neice was 3 when she got a trx70. I started out when I was 5 on an XR100R (I was a very big kid, 6'4"-265lbs. now) I never had any bad recks unless i tried to stop fast on solid ice :shock: Now I've ridden most atv's and atc's and got the feel of most of them. I am definately not a beginner so don't get me wrong or anything.

raptor 660r
12-11-2002, 11:38 PM
i started at the age of 4 and i ride preatty good but when it comes to raptors ill let my quad speak for its self its TOTOLED!

TimSr
12-12-2002, 12:44 AM
TimJr started at 3 1/2 on his TriZinger, and by 4 he had it mastered. For ATV's, if theyre old enough for a battery operated power wheels, save your money and get a little ATV.

For two wheelers, I dont think they should start until theyve mastered a bicycle. Ive seen guys stick little kids on minicycles with training wheels on them, and I personally just have a real problem with that. One thing at a time. They shouldnt be learning to control a motor and learning basic balance at the same time.

WarriorRacer
12-12-2002, 12:45 AM
5 sounds good. With good supervision and some rules they should be fine.

ATCnut
12-12-2002, 02:13 AM
The rules I have seen work good over the years are:

1. If you can start it you can ride it

2. If it is a 2-wheeler, you have to be able to not fall over by yourself.

3WheelHouston
12-14-2002, 05:11 AM
I started at 6 on an 82 atc 200e. I had a blast, and those things are really well balanced and stay on the ground when you turn. I'd actually rather have my kid on a larger (size, not motor) machine so that when he hits something it does more damage to what he hits than him. Bigger machines are more forgiving. Just my 2c. -Aaron

TimSr
12-14-2002, 01:05 PM
I would disagree on using larger machines for kids. They do take a hit better, but thats only if they hit something that moves. When you hit a big tree with large quad you stand a greater chance of getting injured than a small quad at the same speed, as the injury will be whatever part of you happens to get between the quad and the tree. Like deciding if youd rather have your hand hit with an 8 lb sledge or a 16 lb sledge. TimJr has rolled at least a dozen times, and the idea of him rolling a 400 lb quad instead a 200 lb doesnt site well with me.

While we want to prevent as many mishaps as possible, and take steps to do so, I think the key is to prepare for the worst, and assume that they WILL roll and they WILL wreck, and to prepare accordingly rather than hope they never do.

jenndnn3
12-14-2002, 01:39 PM
I couldnt agree with Tim here more. The hubby has been on a call (he is an emt Paramedic) Where a child had a lg quad roll on him, it crushed his chest. Needless to say that is one less child here. The minis out there are plenty fast enough. I like ATCnuts rule except we have electric start. So a new good rule is get off the quad, can they can pull it away from the tree they just hit. And they will hit trees, roll and everything else you did not think of. ( I just replaced my neighbors fence). Another good thing is when they are riding make sure the siblings are some where else, not within the riding area, We even had that. And always always be there when your child is riding.

ATCRYDER
12-14-2002, 03:06 PM
I personally say 8 or 9. That way they learn to appreciate the engine and not take it for granted as something they "should" have.