PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 200

Willy r
01-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Changed the oil in my yamaha 200 and it is now louder does anybody know why and this is what the filters looked like must be the person who owned them before me never changed the oil

350for350
01-05-2019, 10:29 PM
What is louder about it? Maybe the old oil was closer to sludge than actual oil. Maybe the old oil was a thicker grade than what you put in. I'd try checking the valve clearances.

ps2fixer
01-07-2019, 04:39 AM
Looking at those oil filters, looks like they were plugged, maybe the top end was starved of oil? It is making a clunking/ticking/knocking noise, or do you mean the exhaust is louder? If it's kind of a rattle/ticking type of noise, I'd check the valve clearance like stated above, and if that doesn't help, it could be a timing chain slap noise. Not sure how those engines tension the chain though.

Willy r
01-07-2019, 08:10 PM
Its exhaust louder and doesnt sound bad maybe even better but it is louder thank you for the information it is much appreciated

ps2fixer
01-08-2019, 04:31 AM
Only thing I can think of off the top of my head was the old oil was super thick like gear lube, and was restricting the engine from getting up in rpm right, and the new oil is thin enough it's able to run correctly. Maybe the exhaust is just rusty, and part of the exhaust came apart more after the oil change? Kind of an interesting cause an effect though.