PDA

View Full Version : Fork Oil

WickedX
01-13-2019, 12:17 PM
I've been searching around trying to figure out the ends and outs of rebuild the forks on my 1984 Honda 200X, and I've seen where people frequently use ATF for the oil in their forks. I was just wondering if anyone has ever used power steering fluid for fork oil, not that I'm going to. I was walking through the O'Reilly's I work at and got curious when I looked at a bottle of the stuff.

I'm not sure whether I still need to be posting here, but I did just to be safe.

fabiodriven
01-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Power steering fluid would most likely work fine. I don't know what weight it is but I know it's similar to ATF.

Gabriel
01-13-2019, 12:34 PM
I don't think I've ever used power steering fluid in power steering. I pour some Dexron ATF in there and have never had an issue. With the exception of some of these late model sensitive systems, they're pretty much interchangeable. No reason it won't work for forks. I use ATF in my forks. Wouldn't hate to use power steering fluid if that's what I had on hand. In the end, it's all hydraulic fluid. Some systems are picky. Most aren't.

WickedX
01-13-2019, 02:31 PM
I didn't think many people have tried it, but I figure some people have. Oh well, I was just being curious.

greenhaze20
01-13-2019, 06:26 PM
Klots oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big specht
01-14-2019, 07:22 AM
We've used different weights of fork oil and lately hydraulic oil cause it seemed a little heavier and we have it laying around for the tractor. We are trying to stiffen up the forks on the big reds that's why we were using heavier oil