PDA

View Full Version : Splitting 125M Crankcase

85_Ranger4x4
01-28-2019, 05:03 PM
My wife's 125M has the imfamous (I guess) stop arm boss break off of the crankcase. I managed to snag another case on ebay. I know the jug/head have to come off and everything on the outside of the right half of the engine, any need to go deeper to just swap the right crankcase half? The book just says how to blow the whole thing apart which I don't really think I will need to do.

Supposedly it ran good until her grandfather broke the case 10-15 years ago.

Gabriel
01-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Never had that particular one apart BUT, if it hasn't ran in years why NOT pull it all down if you're already waist deep in it. Better time wasted than to overlook something else that might bite you in the arse later.
In exchange for the time spent taking it all the way down, you can clean and detail everything to look nice as well as get ever last speck of crud out of the engine. When you're finished, you will KNOW what you have.

.....not the answer you were looking for huh? :lol:

Tacky
01-29-2019, 02:55 AM
Never had that particular one apart BUT, if it hasn't ran in years why NOT pull it all down if you're already waist deep in it. Better time wasted than to overlook something else that might bite you in the arse later.
In exchange for the time spent taking it all the way down, you can clean and detail everything to look nice as well as get ever last speck of crud out of the engine. When you're finished, you will KNOW what you have.

.....not the answer you were looking for huh? :lol:

I agree, , may not be the answer he seeks, but its what I would do. Will definately know exactly what you have, and no surprises later. I have done this with several of my toys, most recently my 1985 200x. It may seem daunting, but trust me, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is worth the trip.

85_Ranger4x4
01-29-2019, 03:46 PM
My thought was if it is as clean inside as it is under the clutch cover there shouldn't be much mess to fuss over without entertaining the alternator/ignition, secondary trans and all the other stuff on the left side that the Clymer lists with disassembling the engine. If does need cleaned, going deeper is always an option.