PDA

View Full Version : Wheel O-Ring

jadams85
02-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I have a 1981 Honda ATC200. I'm having trouble finding a wheel o-ring for my front tire. I've searched everywhere. I got the part number ((176X4.2)
91351-958-000) from a honda parts site and found one on ebay, but it was way to small. Where can I find one? Or maybe I have to have one made? Or maybe someone can tell me the right size or dimensions. Thanks for the help

twomanytoys
02-20-2019, 09:21 PM
Worse case you can get an oring making kit. You glue the ends together to make any size...it comes in rolls. Kits are spendy though.

shortline10
02-21-2019, 09:31 AM
I have a roll of thin sheet rubber , I just make a gasket .

jadams85
02-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll probably make my own or have one made if I can figure out the right size. I've also heard of guys welding the two rims together but I don't really want to go that route.

Gabriel
02-21-2019, 12:50 PM
DO NOT weld those together. You will regret it.

Look at any one piece wheel. The step on one side is (almost) always shorter than the other. The short side is the side you work from. It allows the bead of the tire to shift over and let you pry the bead over the lip on the opposite side. MOST 2 piece wheels have no step down. You have no idea the nightmare changing a tire with no step in the wheel. You will either kink the bead cable or skin it to the metal....ruining it either way.

I've noticed something around here. There seems to be an aversion to running a tube in ATC tires. I cannot for the life of me reason why. I have tubes in EVERYTHING but my Toyota FJ. Maybe it's the added cost or the trouble some people have putting them in, I do not know BUT, I NEVER have a tire leak around the rim. I suppose there's an argument for trail repairs but that doesn't concern me at all.

I have a 2 piece wheel on the front of my current build. I got the wheel from Ps2fixer and I cleaned it up, slapped a tube in that puppy and rolled with it. A gasket or O-ring might seal but a tube WILL ........unless you're a gumby and pinch it while putting it in. LOL!

jadams85
02-21-2019, 03:09 PM
when I bought it, it had a tube in the front tire. At some point it tore around the valve stem. So I replaced it with another tube and had the same thing happen. I thought I had it in there the right way but maybe I did something wrong. It lasted about two years and it tore by the valve stem. So this time I thought i'd try the o-ring.

Gabriel
02-21-2019, 03:28 PM
It'll either work or it won't. LOL!

There are different types of valve stems on tubes. Might try a different type. Depends on where the hole is. I have seen several wheels that will eat the stem up. On something like, if it posed a problem, I would weld the hole up and grind it smooth, then drill a new hole in a location more 'comfortable' for the way the tube wants to situate itself. Just grind the welds smooth and put a good chamfer on the new hole so it doesn't cut the stem.
I'm also NOT a fan of tubes with bolt in stems. On those I finger tighten only and use the provided jam nut to hold it in place. That tube moves when you're riding. If it's super tight, it will tear it out. If it moves too much, the same thing.