PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Yamaha DX225 determined to not start

2stroker144
04-26-2019, 10:22 AM
Howdy everyone, Im new here, and knew to 3wheelers. Ive been riding dirtbikes for years, and jsut recently jumped on the opportunity to purchase a 1984 yamaha dx225.

It definitely needs work, but when I Purchased it, it started right up and ran strong.

so here's my problem:
I rode it for an hour or so last weekend, put it in the garage and havent touched it. Yesterday I went to go start it, and it wouldnt fire.
I figured it needed to be done anyways, so I cleaned the carb. It was super dirty, and the gas was filthy. I ordered a new gas tank, which will be in today.

It has great compression (160psi)
it has spark. The plug is dry and black, but it has a strong blue spark
it has suction at the carb, so i know its getting air
and it has fuel- carb is clean. Ive tried putting gas straight onto the plug- no luck. I havent tried starter fluid and I really dont want to as its bad for the rings.

these engines are so simple im not sure why it isnt starting if it has spark, air, and fuel. Im losing my mind over here:crazy:

no electric start, pull start only. it was starting right up less than a week ago.

Any help is appreciated.
thanks fellas

feel free to email me also at arnetpreston@gmail.com

Thank you!

350for350
04-26-2019, 08:35 PM
I had a 225DR that had similar symptoms. It didn't like to start when it was cold outside. I traded it for a very rough 250ES. the guy I traded with liked Yamahas better so he was happy to trade. A couple of weeks after the trade, he told me that the starting problem was that the valves were out of adjustment. You could try checking that. Maybe that could be it. A lot of starting fluid isn't the best on any engine, but a little bit shouldn't hurt anything.