PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rear end on 1981 Honda 185s

PRJ
05-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Hello, I am a new member to the forum and am hoping this is the correct place to be asking for help! I have a 1981 Honda ATC 185s that is currently in the process of getting a new rear sprocket. The problem I am having is, I had to cut one bolt off holding the sprocket on. Now I need tips on how to replace the bolts, and where to order them!

ps2fixer
05-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Can't really see much in the photos, they are like flip phone tiny photos. Generally bolts and such can be found on ebay, some are harder to find than others. If it's not a special bolt, generally it's fairly easy to find something similar enough to replace it. Just remember Honda's all have metric bolts, so you'd want to replace with metric.

DAM shop
05-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Hello, I am a new member to the forum and am hoping this is the correct place to be asking for help! I have a 1981 Honda ATC 185s that is currently in the process of getting a new rear sprocket. The problem I am having is, I had to cut one bolt off holding the sprocket on. Now I need tips on how to replace the bolts, and where to order them!

If those bolts are other than ps2 say's i am pretty sure you can still get from Honda.

PRJ
05-02-2019, 10:35 PM
Thank you both for the replies! I am mainly needing help getting to the bolts, getting the sprocket hub off the axle.

DAM shop
05-02-2019, 11:00 PM
Thank you both for the replies! I am mainly needing help getting to the bolts, getting the sprocket hub off the axle.

Pull the axel. You will need to take the brake side apart.

PRJ
05-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Pull the axel. You will need to take the brake side apart.
Thank you, I ended up reading the manual I have(its a great manual, just the worst index/reference I've ever seen lol). Appreciate your reply DAM!

Gabriel
05-04-2019, 09:54 PM
I have Honda and Clymer manuals. The indexing and layout suck. ESPECIALLY the clymer manual. Several things require you to use a couple different chapters when completely disassembling something. That's BS.
Some things for engine tear down make you have to bounce back and forth from engine chapters to transmission chapters. It's a nuisance and lazy on the writers part.

DAM shop
05-04-2019, 10:30 PM
Thank you, I ended up reading the manual I have(its a great manual, just the worst index/reference I've ever seen lol). Appreciate your reply DAM!

Yes like Gabriel said sometimes they bounce you around to accomplish 1 task .did you get it out?

PRJ
05-06-2019, 06:37 PM
Yes like Gabriel said sometimes they bounce you around to accomplish 1 task .did you get it out?

Yes, I got it out and fixed after multiple hours of hair pulling and profanity, she is back together! I have the clymer manual, what you mentioned is no joke, its a great book full of information, just put together horribly.