PDA

View Full Version : Sudden increase in new members

DAM shop
05-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Has anyone else noticed an increase of new members latley? Not complaining by any means, just an observation..

Gabriel
05-16-2019, 08:41 PM
Hadn’t noticed but that’s good.

Got a lot of quiet readers around here.

El Camexican
05-16-2019, 09:08 PM
Damian must be setting up new accounts.

oldskool83
05-17-2019, 06:36 AM
kids are finding old things and need help.

Gabriel
05-17-2019, 08:29 AM
Well maybe the old geezers here can learn them young ‘uns something and breathe a little life into this site at the same time.

.......maybe.

DAM shop
05-17-2019, 08:33 AM
I notice on FB groups that there is such a overwhelming amount of folks on there that have no idea what they are talking about, trying to give advise to other's. The ones that do know what they are talking about hardly give any advise. It's more like a show and tell.

barnett468
05-17-2019, 10:13 AM
I notice on FB groups that there is such a overwhelming amount of folks on there that have no idea what they are talking about, trying to give advise to other's. The ones that do know what they are talking about hardly give any advise. It's more like a show and tell.

That's an interesting observation. As far as 3 wheeler facebook groups go, I was only familiar with "The TECATE Facebook Page" and noticed the exact same thing as well as other significant issues with it, which is unfortunate because it is very active and has many people posting, and as far as I can tell, it is the biggest and most active site for TECATE's, of which there are very few.

DAM shop
05-17-2019, 10:23 AM
That's an interesting observation. As far as 3 wheeler facebook groups go, I was only familiar with "The TECATE Facebook Page" and noticed the exact same thing as well as other significant issues with it, which is unfortunate because it is very active and has many people posting, and as far as I can tell, it is the biggest and most active site for TECATE's, of which there are very few.Yes it's the same with Honda Hoarders Barns. Very active, hard to keep up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Aulbaugh
05-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Honda Hoarders is all about showing off your crapped out $100 Big Red or your over priced 3rd generation 250r. I've rarely seen any good information on there. We all know if we have a question we come to the smart people here in 3WW!

barnett468
05-17-2019, 06:59 PM
Honda Hoarders is all about showing off your crapped out $100 Big Red or your over priced 3rd generation 250r.

ouch! :lol:

bkm
05-18-2019, 02:47 AM
That's an interesting observation. As far as 3 wheeler facebook groups go, I was only familiar with "The TECATE Facebook Page" and noticed the exact same thing as well as other significant issues with it, which is unfortunate because it is very active and has many people posting, and as far as I can tell, it is the biggest and most active site for TECATE's, of which there are very few.Barns, what happened to you and the Tecate page? I really thought you had finally found your calling and would settle in real nice like. Then you were gone like a fart in the wind.

Gabriel
05-18-2019, 11:58 AM
.alright boys and girls thats Pee-Wees word of the day ............TEMCA-LECA-HI .........MECA-HIKNEE-HO .......:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lo l::lol::lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:
Arrrr!!! I know you are but what am I? LOL!!!!!

captainweezy
05-18-2019, 10:55 PM
There he be.....I was starting to have the Glamy withdrawals. Like really.

ps2fixer
05-19-2019, 01:29 PM

I noticed the exact same thing in a couple groups. Very discouraging to even take part of the group when the advice given is so far off, if you tried to correct the person they'd probably want to argue about it. Besides that, seems like you can't really search fb messages on google, so it's an endless stream of the same questions unlike the forums were we can reference someone else with the same issue and such.

I suspect the site is a little more popular because of spring, big time for buying projects it seems. It's nice to have something new to respond to once in a while lol.

barnett468
05-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Barns, what happened to you and the Tecate page? I really thought you had finally found your calling and would settle in real nice like. Then you were gone like a fart in the wind.

Such colorful and elegant prose. https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Since you posted something about me around the time that robby tienharra posted his infantile and inaccurate rant about me, I'm guessing you saw what he posted, and since you asked, I will gladly post the actual facts I know about the situation along with my best guesses about some aspects of it.

Another member on that site posted some TECATE parts for sale claiming he was doing it on behalf of his friend. In the parts collection there was a first gen Bassani pipe that was described as being very nice with just a couple minor dings which ended up being completely hammared, and a Bassani silencer that was described as having a crack or something minor and needing a simple weld to repair it but was also hammared, another pipe he claimed was for a TECATE which ended up not being a TECATE pipe, and 2 front fenders that were modified of which he said one could easily be polished to look very nice which it couldn't. I saw the ad maybe around 30 minutes after it was posted, so just like several other people eventually did, I contacted him and asked about the parts including the pipes, silencer, and fenders.

The seller contacted me a short while later and I told him I was interested in both pipes, the silencer, and both front fenders, so he described the parts (grossly inaccurately) to me, and also told me that he had already been contacted by a couple other people that were interested in the Bassani pipe but he did not tell me who these people were nor did I ask, but from what I can remember and could piece together later, it seemed like tienharra may have been one of the people that contacted the seller before I did. The seller also told me that he had not received a deposit from anyone for the pipe and that nobody told him they were sending money for it right away, so I merely asked him if he would sell me both pipes, the silencer, and both fenders if I sent him money via paypal right away and he said yes, so immediately after our discussion, I took the risk that the parts were accurately described and that the seller would actually send them, and I sent him the payment in full.

After tienharra found out the seller sold the parts to me, he got pissed off because he missed out on them and blocked me from the site (or had doug creel block me) to try and "get even" with me and to prevent me from buying any other parts he might be interested in. He then made that childish, inaccurate, and potentially libelous post about me in an attempt to discredit me. Unfortunately for him, if he did in fact contact the seller before I did, he could have sent the seller the money right away, in which case the pipe would have been his IF the seller was an honest person, which it turns out he wasn't, so it's impossible to know for certain what the seller did or what he told tienharra. The seller may have conversed with tienharra after I bought the parts, and if so, my guess is that the seller lied to tienharra about what transpired in hopes of preventing tienharra from being so pissed off at him that he would block him from the site as well.

Shortly after this situation, someone posted an ebay link to an 86 TECATE swingarm on that site that I modified to fit a first gen, and several people attacked it saying things like I was trying to rip people off with the exorbitant price I was asking, and someone else posted something like they could make the same thing and sell it for around half as much as I was asking (which I think was around $750.00) and still make money on it, but oddly enough I still haven't seen him or anyone else do that. I'm guessing they were also a bit surprised when it sold for full price with 48 hours. After receiving it, the buyer was kind enough to leave me positive feedback and generous praise.

Here's a photo of the better fender that I was told cold easily be polished to look very nice.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IKMAAOSweRZc4tK7/s-l1600.jpg

Here's a photo of the swingarm after I finished it that someone said they could replicate and sell for around half of what I was asking. I certainly hope they do cuz I will buy every one of them for their paltry $350.00 or so asking price...if I can. :lol:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HuEAAOSwTnZc4tTG/s-l1600.jpg

ps2fixer
05-20-2019, 12:54 PM
I'll be honest, I haven't jumped over to the FB stuff because of stories like this. Seems like most people are facebook are super lazy and lack giving details. It was bad enough with craigslist, but facebook seems to be like 10 times worse. Based on everything I've seen/heard, I'd never buy anything on FB without photos. If people can't post accurate info about general help topics, how would they even know what they have or how to describe the condition? I wasn't there for all of that, but sounds like that's a group I'll avoid, I live in America, so I expect freedom of speech, not getting banned because someone doesn't like that I bought parts lol.

Is there a general like 3ww fb group or like 3 wheelers in general group? Maybe we should make one and call people out on their BS replies and try to weed out the incorrect info etc and make something actually good on FB? Probably a ton of time/effort to get something to a good point though. Personally I'd rather use a forum anyway, I like sections being split out, instead of just a wall of a million posts.

bkm
05-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Such colorful and elegant prose. https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Since you posted something about me around the time that robby tienharra posted his infantile and inaccurate rant about me, I'm guessing you saw what he posted, and since you asked, I will gladly post the actual facts I know about the situation along with my best guesses about some aspects of it.

Another member on that site posted some TECATE parts for sale claiming he was doing it on behalf of his friend. In the parts collection there was a first gen Bassani pipe that was described as being very nice with just a couple minor dings which ended up being completely hammared, and a Bassani silencer that was described as having a crack or something minor and needing a simple weld to repair it but was also hammared, another pipe he claimed was for a TECATE which ended up not being a TECATE pipe, and 2 front fenders that were modified of which he said one could easily be polished to look very nice which it couldn't. I saw the ad maybe around 30 minutes after it was posted, so just like several other people eventually did, I contacted him and asked about the parts including the pipes, silencer, and fenders.

The seller contacted me a short while later and I told him I was interested in both pipes, the silencer, and both front fenders, so he described the parts (grossly inaccurately) to me, and also told me that he had already been contacted by a couple other people that were interested in the Bassani pipe but he did not tell me who these people were nor did I ask, but from what I can remember and could piece together later, it seemed like tienharra may have been one of the people that contacted the seller before I did. The seller also told me that he had not received a deposit from anyone for the pipe and that nobody told him they were sending money for it right away, so I merely asked him if he would sell me both pipes, the silencer, and both fenders if I sent him money via paypal right away and he said yes, so immediately after our discussion, I took the risk that the parts were accurately described and that the seller would actually send them, and I sent him the payment in full.

After tienharra found out the seller sold the parts to me, he got pissed off because he missed out on them and blocked me from the site (or had doug creel block me) to try and "get even" with me and to prevent me from buying any other parts he might be interested in. He then made that childish, inaccurate, and potentially libelous post about me in an attempt to discredit me. Unfortunately for him, if he did in fact contact the seller before I did, he could have sent the seller the money right away, in which case the pipe would have been his IF the seller was an honest person, which it turns out he wasn't, so it's impossible to know for certain what the seller did or what he told tienharra. The seller may have conversed with tienharra after I bought the parts, and if so, my guess is that the seller lied to tienharra about what transpired in hopes of preventing tienharra from being so pissed off at him that he would block him from the site as well.

Shortly after this situation, someone posted an ebay link to an 86 TECATE swingarm on that site that I modified to fit a first gen, and several people attacked it saying things like I was trying to rip people off with the exorbitant price I was asking, and someone else posted something like they could make the same thing and sell it for around half as much as I was asking (which I think was around $750.00) and still make money on it, but oddly enough I still haven't seen him or anyone else do that. I'm guessing they were also a bit surprised when it sold for full price with 48 hours. After receiving it, the buyer was kind enough to leave me positive feedback and generous praise.

Here's a photo of the better fender that I was told cold easily be polished to look very nice.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IKMAAOSweRZc4tK7/s-l1600.jpg

Here's a photo of the swingarm after I finished it that someone said they could replicate and sell for around half of what I was asking. I certainly hope they do cuz I will buy every one of them for their paltry $350.00 or so asking price...if I can. [emoji38]

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HuEAAOSwTnZc4tTG/s-l1600.jpg

.No, I didn't see what caused your demise. I just figured you finally found your place to discuss flywheel magnets and locitite with like minded folks, and then you were gone.

Gabriel
05-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Anyone who claims to be able to make that swingarm for $350 (with any amount of quality) and also claim to be making a profit....or even breaking even would be a conflagrating liar.

ps2fixer
05-20-2019, 04:38 PM
You do have to keep in mind open statements like that can have special cases. For example, the effects of mass production, if a company is making say 20,000 units, they can probably make them a lot cheaper than $350 each, however if it's just say 5-50 qty, it's a totally different story. I've seen it first hand with getting price quotes from companies that will manufacture parts based on a 3D CAD model. Like a plastic injection mold for one of the things I was checking said 1 qty was like $7000 because of setup, mold cost etc, but 1000 qty was like $10000 and the price dropped quick with more qty.

Gabriel
05-20-2019, 04:43 PM
I worked in tool & die for 12 years or so and understand production.......but who's making multiple thousands of anything 3 wheeler oriented anymore? Unless it has multiple "other" applications, I'd say no one.

ps2fixer
05-20-2019, 04:51 PM
Ironically to date, I've sold about 1000 ignition switches for the ATC200ES and similar machines, it's my best selling part and has quite a lot of machines that uses the same part number. But yea, no way 1000s of swing arms for any 3 wheeler I'm sure.

Kind of funny, my grandpa was tool & die at GM in Detroit.

Gabriel
05-20-2019, 04:54 PM
I don’t miss the work but I DO miss access to the machines and tooling for my personal projects. Lol!!!

ps2fixer
05-20-2019, 06:57 PM
Yea my dad still has a lot of tools and stuff my grandpa made back then. I just found out the 12 gauge shot gun that I see around my dad's place has a wood stock my grampa made out of curly walnut wood. I thought it was the stock stock for the gun, nice tight fit and matches the gun etc. It's very light, so it really kicks when shot lol.

My dad keeps mentioning things he could do with a metal lathe, so maybe some time he or we will invest in one and be able to get some metal lathe time and experience. He needs a mill too. CNC would be awesome to have around.

barnett468
05-20-2019, 09:07 PM
Anyone who claims to be able to make that swingarm for $350 (with any amount of quality) and also claim to be making a profit....or even breaking even would be a conflagrating liar.

Yup, they were obviously extremely envious and/or extremely "un-intelligent", lol, but as I'm sure you know, envy makes some people say and/or do some strange and unprofessional things. The case of robby tienharra blocking me from the tecate facebook page so I couldn't buy any more parts that he may want is one good example.

Gabriel
05-20-2019, 09:14 PM
To do it RIGHT you’d have more than that in just the welding jig.
Then you’d have machining fixtures to make for fast repeatable work.
Looks like you’d need a precision ground alignment gauge for the rear.
Again....to do it right ......it’s not a simple slap together fix.

barnett468
05-20-2019, 09:42 PM
To do it RIGHT you’d have more than that in just the welding jig.
Then you’d have machining fixtures to make for fast repeatable work.
Looks like you’d need a precision ground alignment gauge for the rear.
Again....to do it right ......it’s not a simple slap together fix.

I'm not sure who you are addressing this post to, but as far as modifying the stock arm goes on a small quantity basis, there aren't any fixtures necessary, because the arm would obviously be hand welded, plus it won't warp during the welding process because it is ridiculously strong in stock form. I did some of the engineering on the stock arm on the prototype 86 KXT250 that I had to go to Japan for to do what was supposed to be a simple, short test on, which ended up being 2 weeks of hell followed by a few more months of hell back in the US because the prototype was a pos, and I had to have them redesign literally around 50% of the machine to my criteria to make it acceptable for production, but unfortunately, due to production schedules I ran out of time to try and fix at least one of issues I still wanted to improve upon.

The hardest part of modifying the stock arm to fit the first gen's so it would be even stronger and not bend or break at the new shock mount position or from a wider axle etc, was engineering the mod. It looks quite simple if you see the completed item, and it is, but it took a bit of thought to determine the best overall way to do it.

ironchop
05-21-2019, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't get too excited about any increase in new members..... Most of them will bail eventually.

Maybe take a look at the posts..... New people sometimes wait two or three days to get a question answered while sticky subjects that can be turned into arguments are wildly popular and visited the most often with replies minutes apart. You get no points for knowledge, you only need to prove you aren't a "sheeple" or show your Woke Card to get in on the fight club.

I mean honestly, WTF do we even have to offer these new people? Tell them to "go do a search"? Really? Or "get off my lawn"?

We're like a giant lemonade stand trying to sell cups of water because we pissed off all the lemon pickers.

Flame me all you want, but if I was a new dude and I came in here and saw that banner and got all excited because this place LOOKS top notch, I'm going to be disappointed after reading the posts and would probably just give up and call it lame ....and I'm not going to wait 90 days and ten posts before I can participate while I hope it gets less lame

This thread is now about whether or not Rubbie Tienhara is a dickhead.....who cares?

Not my forum though, and if that kind of thing makes you happy, good luck. I wish no ill will but again, I ask:

What the actual F**k do we have to offer new people?

Like buttons? Social reinforcement?

WTF was the mission statement again?

Mosh
05-21-2019, 12:25 PM
I think it is trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro hilarious to see the same names, (banned from here) get pissed about their ban here, run away bitching about being banned here, start a FB group, then turn around and ban people.

Gabriel
05-21-2019, 01:10 PM
What do you have to have to do to get banned around here?
Ive been a member of several different forums over the years and this place is pretty darn lax.
Not many forums would take Glamy in; let alone pet him and feed him like 3WW.

ps2fixer
05-21-2019, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure about other people/thread/posts, but when someone posts an issue, I try to work it out with them, like I'd do in real life. If I happen to know a thread of the same issue I'd link it for them to read over. Accurate info is a lot better than BS try to be smart remarks. Like those FB groups talk about the 87 atc250r like it was mass produced or something, at least the one I scanned over.

I'll admit though, this site isn't exactly a smooth well oiled machine, there's a lot of rickety bits. Like simple PMs you can't attach photos to, the 3ww shop has a lot of ease of usability issues for the sellers, and apparently the buyers too. I sometimes see people making 5-10 orders before one gets paid. My normal web store I've never seen any issues like that. I've offered to help with the programming for free but the subject always changes, probably lack of trust or something, and I fully understand that. I've heard from several sources that the site isn't really being worked on at all, so it will fall behind in tech. The site has a million features that really aren't needed, like a blog is just a form post, but you never see the new posts in the blogs, same thing with groups. Too many features, not enough members, so it looks like a ghost town.

I'm not really one to rant pubically, I don't even use facebook/twitter/instigram etc, but I figured while we were on the subject why not. This is kind of the reason I've been making sites targeted at giving people the info the need and can be indexed by google, this site could go away at any time and there's not really a solid bank of solid info anywhere else on the net that I'm aware of, it's more with the members of the site. I've thought about making my own forum with a simplified layout like a hybrid between facebook and this forum and of course have a solid chat system at the top of the page so people can publically chat super easy with the option of private convos. Anyway, I haven't really done it because I really hate stepping on toes and such. I don't want a situation where there's a 3ww, 3w.org, and my site feud. Fighting gets no where in life, coming up with solutions and compromises is what gets things settled.

Maybe it's just me, but there seems like there should be a "common issues" type of thread/page that lists common issues with the different machines and link to threads or details of how to test and validate the problem and what the solution is. That will probably be part of my atvmanual.com site once I get it off it's feet with wire diagrams and basic tech info and such. I figured if the site got popular, then I'd throw a forum on it, if not it will just be an info delivering site. I haven't been in the whole website stuff for a little bit, so I have to learn more about well designed sites for mobile + tablet + pc so things actually work right for everyone, before it was just make sure things worked right for all browsers (IE, Mozilla, Chrome, etc).

I might be opening a can of warms with this, no clue what kind of response to expect.

Red Rider
05-21-2019, 01:50 PM
I mean honestly, WTF do we even have to offer these new people?With forums, at least any information posted on them, can be found again. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to find that info, if you don't know the exact wording, or poster's name, but the info is still there. On FB, everything gets lost & buried so easily. It's a really frustrating, horrible format. And then there's the prevalence of texting shorthand, lack of punctuation, and misspelled words (that happens here too) that make the posts you can find, basically unreadable anyway. The only thing FB has over forums is, it's a bit easier to post pictures.

ps2fixer
05-21-2019, 02:50 PM
Also so many people have FB that they already have an account, but there's plugins to use FB for login for forums. You can probably post videos on FB easier too. The nesting of replies I kind of like on FB, it's more of the OLD style of how forums worked.

The quote system on the forums is also a bit meh, like how it was used in the post above me is how I use it, some people want to quote like the first post with a million photos and bloats up the page just to say thanks for the info or whatever. There isn't exactly a perfect system out there, everything has pros and cons.

Gabriel
05-21-2019, 02:50 PM
What ..........What ?

Now Glamy...don't be mad.....

https://i.imgur.com/Pf4VGr6.jpg

ironchop
05-21-2019, 04:27 PM
With forums, at least any information posted on them, can be found again. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to find that info, if you don't know the exact wording, or poster's name, but the info is still there. On FB, everything gets lost & buried so easily. It's a really frustrating, horrible format. And then there's the prevalence of texting shorthand, lack of punctuation, and misspelled words (that happens here too) that make the posts you can find, basically unreadable anyway. The only thing FB has over forums is, it's a bit easier to post pictures.
Yeah I understand that. I don't have a Facebook page anymore, though so I can't comment on what the experience is like.... but what I'm trying to say is that we can get increased traffic thanks to people being tired of FB trike pages but if their only other alternative to seek help with their issues is here where I've watched dozens upon dozens of people just stop posting, then we are going to die of attrition.

I know some people drift in and drift out of love with trikes or maybe life happens but we can't ignore the fact that some people are simply driven away from here because they are sick of reading our dick-swinging contests with each other.

For example, Pirate 4x4 is another great resource but I won't post there because I'm tired of wading thru twenty "FU, dumazz"/"your a queer" replies before you get a straight answer.... Mostly from people who would never utter that stuff to my face. This place is going that route right now.

Then we try and comfort ourselves by saying things like "they're too sensitive" or "why you mad, bro?"..... The fact remains that some people get tired of abrasive people and they take the smoother lane of travel. We can call them triggered sissies and revel in our own Alpha glow while we jack each other off.... Then when we run out of people to harass, we turn on each other.....OR we could give people a better reason to come here than saying FaceLog Sucks

So new people come in and all they see is us calling each other names or just being general dicks (I'm JUST AS GUILTY, MYSELF) and I think it sends the wrong message.

If you're a sixteen year old kid with no dad who bought a 125M from a garage sale with his lawn mowing money and have no idea how to fix it, you're probably not going to pipe up and ask "dumb questions" if you think we might jump on you. How many women do you know that want to interrupt a "f**k you" contest between four guys to ask where she can find a toolbox strap for her ATC110?

I KNOW this place is leaps and bounds above FaceLog for information but if you have gangsters guarding the door to the library, how many nerdy kids do you think will want to try to check out a book?

Just my opinion but we might consider being less f***in threatening for starters. Play to your audience.

Not directed AT you, Red Rider... I'm just making a general observation

knappyfeet
05-21-2019, 05:54 PM
Pirate 4X4 is a joke......but entertaining.

Caferacer.net seems to be calmer.....but that may be due to the cafe scene kinda going "bye bye"

The 3 wheeler fad is definitely slowing dow....or at least all the frantic hoopla is gone. Nothing much left to do but talk about rectal aliens and 911....and some 110 rear brakes thrown in. Use to be a lot more build threads when I started...or at least excitement about them. Now it's just quick questions then they are gone. May not have anything to do with dick swinging contests

ps2fixer
05-21-2019, 06:15 PM
I think most people join to get help with their machine, if they don't find something else to talk about, they leave. If they lock in on a few threads they are more likely to stick around.

Back when I ran another forum (gaming related) long long ago, something like 60% of accounts had 0 posts, but we had the "good info" behind post walls to prevent leechers and such. This stuff is real life so not really a need for any restrictions. I think it would be neat just to mark new member threads with a small icon or something like ebay does for new seller's. Not to say anything about the person, but for people that are responding can focus on them a little more to ensure everyone feels welcomed and at least can get some replies to their posts.

I try to scan though the sections once in a while, even month old posts for any with zero replies, and give at least the best reply I can give so at least someone interacted with them.

Anyway, everything rides on leadership, when was the last time you've seen the owner of the site around? I hate to point fingers at Billy, but maybe it's time to let someone else steer the site if he lost interest or whatever. If not a new site could pop up and take over pretty easily. It's a little like a business, when the owner is a working owner that works right next to the people he pays, things normally go smoothly because they can see eye to eye pretty well, and the boss/owner can really see where the needs are for the workers. A CEO that never leaves their office and just looks at numbers is so disconnected from the workers that they have to make cuts and the workers hate it and makes it one of the "they are doing cuts again" where all upper management is lumped together as bad/evil which more or less is how the worker feels about the whole business.

I think the 3 wheeler fad is still quite strong, just look at the prices, just so many people seemed to have moved to facebook instead of forum based sites. Like some facebook groups are 10-20k people and there's a ton of groups. I think for this site to be better, we need leadership to lead by example and such.

bkm
05-21-2019, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't get too excited about any increase in new members..... Most of them will bail eventually.

Maybe take a look at the posts..... New people sometimes wait two or three days to get a question answered while sticky subjects that can be turned into arguments are wildly popular and visited the most often with replies minutes apart. You get no points for knowledge, you only need to prove you aren't a "sheeple" or show your Woke Card to get in on the fight club.

I mean honestly, WTF do we even have to offer these new people? Tell them to "go do a search"? Really? Or "get off my lawn"?

We're like a giant lemonade stand trying to sell cups of water because we pissed off all the lemon pickers.

Flame me all you want, but if I was a new dude and I came in here and saw that banner and got all excited because this place LOOKS top notch, I'm going to be disappointed after reading the posts and would probably just give up and call it lame ....and I'm not going to wait 90 days and ten posts before I can participate while I hope it gets less lame

This thread is now about whether or not Rubbie Tienhara is a dickhead.....who cares?

Not my forum though, and if that kind of thing makes you happy, good luck. I wish no ill will but again, I ask:

What the actual F**k do we have to offer new people?

Like buttons? Social reinforcement?

WTF was the mission statement again?The stupid waiting period for new posters was a bad idea then and still is now.

In my opinion, it was so the mods could be lazy and keep all the newbs in one confined area. Then all the mods bailed anyway.

barnett468
05-21-2019, 06:50 PM
The stupid waiting period for new posters was a bad idea then and still is now.

I agree 110%, and I am confident that the waiting period here drives some people away. Who wants to wait 6 weeks or even 6 days to get help with their bike etc. Then you have to make 10 posts to be able to do something else special here etc.

As far as the facebook forums go, from what little I have seen of them, the majority of the posts are just to say, "I saw a tecate today", or "Here's a photo of a phillips screw I just detailed" etc, then around 287 bazillion comments saying "oooh" or "ahhh" or "That's the schnizzel" or whatever.

I think this is far and away the best 3 wheeler site there is, and only needs a few changes to improve it, like getting rid of the waiting period and the 10 post requirement, and maybe removing some of the forums to reduce the clutter and possible confusion they may cause some people who might wonder which one of the 132 different forums they have here is the best one to post in.

Irregardless of what happens here, it seems to me that many of the younger people will still prefer the facebook forums because they seem to me to be more of a social gathering place.

ironchop
05-21-2019, 07:32 PM
Heres whats sucks ..........they get all pissed off when they hear something they don`t like..........people refusing to do things like leak down or they withhold information about the bike ..........yeah i gots a big bore .........machined cases ? .......no stock cases !...............ok you just said big bore.............look at the manual ...........look at it .........don`t look at me .............Captweezy - did you look at it ?............look at it..........ya friggin .........never-mind ! ........parts is parts ......what kind of parts ?.................Chicken parts !

Yeah I was thinking about that too.

Those kind of posters are living clickbait. They suck is in just enough to get our brains rolling in thought, eager to help only to have them totally go 'Loganm' and insist on fitting a piston they filed into a square and don't know why they have no compression.

Then we end up ignoring other people who aren't so stubbornly ignorant or we're just too spent to deal with anyone else.

I think they just sh*tpost for fun or attention.

That's a conundrum.

knappyfeet
05-21-2019, 07:48 PM
It's not the waiting period......it's not the waiting period at all in my opinion.

I started a recomissioning thread for my 200X in the new members section a couple of weeks after I joined the forum. I helped folks and folks helped me. I got to know folks and shared my project with everyone.....way different than just popping in with a question and no photos, etc.

It seemed back then that folks were having build threads, projects going on...making things intersting. Some will always cherish and place a high value on 3 wheelers........ but the frantic excitement of a few years ago by many over hobby seems quiet

ironchop
05-21-2019, 08:04 PM
It's not the waiting period......it's not the waiting period at all in my opinion.

I started a recomissioning thread for my 200X in the new members section a couple of weeks after I joined the forum. I helped folks and folks helped me. I got to know folks and shared my project with everyone.....way different than just popping in with a question and no photos, etc.

It seemed back then that folks were having build threads, projects going on...making things intersting. Some will always cherish and place a high value on 3 wheelers........ but the frantic excitement of a few years ago by many over hobby seems quiet

I can assure you that there are still builds going on. I get texts from members here literally every week of some pic of something they just built or refinished/aquired.

They aren't posting it here.

It's not because the work isn't top notch or relevant either. For whatever reason, and I don't ask, they just don't go through the effort to post their progress here. That's a real problem that should be addressed because these are all great members in good standing but who've chosen to go radio silent for whatever reason. They just share with a select few I'm assuming to avoid something here.

I can't speak for anyone, these are assumptive comments.

One guy, has built four or five OUTSTANDING builds for himself and others within the last three years... The kind of thing that should be in our feeds everyday. Maybe this person will chime in on why they won't post much anymore like the once did.

All I know, is that there's trike work going on in my friends garages but it sure doesn't look that way in the feed

El Camexican
05-21-2019, 08:12 PM
What do you have to have to do to get banned around here?

It’s not that hard. The most recent trend is to ban oneself for periods of up to one year.

bkm
05-21-2019, 08:22 PM
I agree 110%, and I am confident that the waiting period here drives some people away. Who wants to wait 6 weeks or even 6 days to get help with their bike etc. Then you have to make 10 posts to be able to do something else special here etc.

As far as the facebook forums go, from what little I have seen of them, the majority of the posts are just to say, "I saw a tecate today", or "Here's a photo of a phillips screw I just detailed" etc, then around 287 bazillion comments saying "oooh" or "ahhh" or "That's the schnizzel" or whatever.

I think this is far and away the best 3 wheeler site there is, and only needs a few changes to improve it, like getting rid of the waiting period and the 10 post requirement, and maybe removing some of the forums to reduce the clutter and possible confusion they may cause some people who might wonder which one of the 132 different forums they have here is the best one to post in.

Irregardless of what happens here, it seems to me that many of the younger people will still prefer the facebook forums because they seem to me to be more of a social gathering place.For once, I am in complete agreence with you.

DAM shop
05-21-2019, 08:23 PM
I think you are correct chop. Maybe it's because there is not a lot of social gradificaton when posting something such as that. What I mean is if I were to post a build and only get a comment or two I would probably not continue to post if there is no interest. I wasn't here in the day when everyone was building, posting and contributing so I really don't have anything to compare to other than old threads. I would love to see some of those FB folks on here and be able to share ideas, thoughts and pics. I would much rather do it on this site than FB just because I appreciate the maturity and knowledge of the members here. Speaking of maturity I would guess the average age of most of us on here is 50+ and maybe that's what scares others away. Maybe it's because of wealth of knowledge not so much the lack of. Maybe most of you have evolved so much in your knowledge that a question about a proper chain length is beyond you. I say you because I'm not even close to putting myself in the same league as most of you ..

ironchop
05-21-2019, 08:47 PM
I think you are correct chop. Maybe it's because there is not a lot of social gradificaton when posting something such as that. What I mean is if I were to post a build and only get a comment or two I would probably not continue to post if there is no interest. I wasn't here in the day when everyone was building, posting and contributing so I really don't have anything to compare to other than old threads.

We had more participation back then partly, in my opinion, because we didn't have the 'like' and 'thanks' buttons yet. The idea behind those was to give fair time to all the threads at the top of the feed by curtailing all the "attaboy" and "l like" or "I hate" replies, replacing them with buttons thereby lowering the number of extraneous replies in a thread. That way a thread doesn't keep getting refreshed to the top every time somebody wanted to express their approval of something. A popular thread gets compliment heavy and light in substance while a more specific question gets buried at the bottom of the feed while everyone insists on telling Johnny how cool his three wheeler is. I think it had the unintended consequences of making it appear like nobody GAF.

Like buttons really mess with people. We should go back to cluttering threads up with 'attaboys' or 'yer trike is junk'

Maybe most of you have evolved so much in your knowledge that a question about a proper chain length is beyond you.

Historically, it would just get turned into a huge argument even if they did

Red Rider
05-21-2019, 08:48 PM
What I mean is if I were to post a build and only get a comment or two I would probably not continue to post if there is no interest.I think the "Thanks", "Likes", & "Dislikes" buttons are partially to blame for the lack of comments posted on the few builds that do go on. A lot of us use those buttons pretty frequently, in lieu of actually typing something.

ironchop
05-21-2019, 08:52 PM
I think the "Thanks", "Likes", & "Dislikes" buttons are partially to blame for the lack of comments posted on the few builds that do go on. A lot of us use those buttons pretty frequently, in lieu of actually typing something.

Ironically, I liked your post and thanked you for your post

Equally ironic, is that I'm now physically posting about my agreement and approval..... Which is what we should go back to, I think.

Buttons make things impersonal

DAM shop
05-21-2019, 09:03 PM

Equally ironic, is that I'm now physically posting about my agreement and approval..... Which is what we should go back to, I think.

Buttons make things impersonal

Yep, they sure do

bkm
05-21-2019, 09:04 PM

Buttons make things impersonalI'm going to like and post to your post, because I like to like things and will most likely keep liking and posting no matter how many likes this generates.

ironchop
05-21-2019, 09:11 PM
and i`d like to thank you for thanking me so i like you for liking me in case i forgot thank you for liking me and thank you for thanking me for liking you so that i can "like" you for thanking me.............you thanked me i know...........now i`m gonna bend over now and when i do ..........start "liking" me !

you.

Are so.

Brave.

Like literally.

I like that... So much

i can't even

Gabriel
05-21-2019, 09:23 PM
That's right Glamy......

Bück dich befehl ich dir
wende dein Antlitz ab von mir
dein Gesicht ist mir egal
bück dich

knappyfeet
05-21-2019, 09:30 PM
What I mean is if I were to post a build and only get a comment or two I would probably not continue to post if there is no interest.

You have nice projects and I always like viewing your posts.

Sometimes it was a "one man thread" by myself on my threads at times but folks look and comments when I do things right or wrong and I always try to see them through...my projects

DAM shop
05-21-2019, 09:49 PM
Thanks knappyfeet.
We have one we are redoing right now, in fact the last one we just did. We have a 110 long rod h&s stroker motor built with a high dome piston. Our machine guy thought he could get us enough piston to head clearance by modifying the piston and doubling up on the base gasket. It was close and he knew it would be. What I don't think he factored in was the dome of that hap Jones piston. Anyway the intake valve and piston kissed reached other and shattered the guide. It's back at the shop now. He confident he can clean up the piston and there was no damage to the cylinder at all. He thinking he can do so e modifying to the valve pockets to give us enough sguish room. Only other thing to do is fabricating a spacer plate, being those are pretty hard to come by..

ps2fixer
05-21-2019, 10:24 PM
I never really got the like/thank/dislike stuff, it's basically meaningless on youtube, even a high % disliked video still gets high search results etc. On here the topics are just sorted by newest last reply. I basically never use those links, I just type what I want to say and if it's something I don't like or whatever, give the constructive criticism from my point of view. I've had my views changed a couple times on here when presented with facts, experience, and such. Life is a learning experience.

Ironically, I'm one of the younger members, only 31. It does seem most members are 40's to 60's. Makes sense though, that age range grew up with 3 wheelers, I just happened to as well because my dad bought some used and I preferred them over the sports quad we had which is still sitting to this day.

barnett468
05-21-2019, 10:36 PM
I never really got the like/thank/dislike stuff, it's basically meaningless on youtube, even a high % disliked video still gets high search results etc.

I can tell you from personal experience that if a post gets enough dislikes here (which I think is 10), the text automatically disappears, and if you want to read the post to see why so many people are disliking it, you have to click on a link that is at the bottom of it, and when these disliked posts get compressed so you have to click on the link to read them, they get a lot more views because people are curious as to what all the hysteria is about. I LMFAO the first time I saw this because it seemed to cause the opposite reaction that the person in charge of the forum intended it to. :)

barnett468
05-21-2019, 11:20 PM
That's right Glamy......

Bück dich befehl ich dir
wende dein Antlitz ab von mir
dein Gesicht ist mir egal
bück dich

Here's Google's translation:

Bend over is what I command you my goat of love
Turn your sheepish face away from me so that behind your wooly tail I may closely stand
Your face towards me I care not for now.
Bend over

OMG Gabe...you're one sick puppy!

https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/hysterical.gif

ps2fixer
05-21-2019, 11:37 PM
I see, I get what the admin thought the reaction would be with the dislike thing like that, but yea if it's still viewable after it's "flagged" then a lot will read it and probably reply about it lol. I bet it still shows up in quotes too. Pretty weird plugin for sure, like a crappy copy of facebook's system I guess.

Gabriel
05-22-2019, 05:05 AM
That’s not right Barnes. Google translate is TERRIBLE. I dunno who wrote that software but they suck.

Those are lyrics from a Rammstein song by the way.

ps2fixer
05-22-2019, 07:15 AM
You do know Rammstein does sing about some pretty sick stuff right? xD. Fun as hell drum beats to play on phase shift though (I'm not great, I just play on expert for the easier songs). Here's a vid of kind of what I mean, clearly not me, and it's guitar hero (console) but I use the same type of joke of a drum set to play on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvflVWqajvo

Gabriel
05-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Ohh yeah. Rammstein is awesome. ....and Till Lindeman is about as F’d up as you can get.
Take it with a grain of salt though. They’re a lot of fun.
You have to admit. Rammstein is very comfortable in their own skin.
They have no shame.

Try out the lyrics to Küss Mich (Fellfrosch).

ps2fixer
05-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Just watch some of their music videos, I like the german rock though. I enjoyed Gamma too. Not many people over here have herd of them probably. My dad had to import the CD's from Germany, Gamma 1, 2, and 3 in the set. The vid below shows the little 1, same thing as my dad had in his set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXhrIwIXFow

Another song, this might have been aired on the radio a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBCVnGn5V5Y&list=PL5A9626668BB53155

I really wish someone would fret the gamma songs for the game I play. Heck drums are fairly easy to figure out maybe I should mess around and try to learn that some day. The beat sounds pretty fun the play too.

Yea, I'm one of the rare people that likes music from before I was born lol. Some of the modern stuff is too hip/hop and rap for my taste.

Arky-X
05-22-2019, 03:39 PM
My 19yo daughter informs me fB is for old people. For her generation it is InstaGram and SnapChat (whatever the hell those are). fB is when they need to talk to the older crowd.
So for most of us, it's not young people on fB....it's a little younger than us that are on fB.

I've learned lots of tips here but when I search for something, most of the tips were posted 10 years ago. I don't see a lot of new revelations. I'm just as guilty though because I don't have a lot to share innovation wise. I'm an imitator, not an innovator.

Ich wohne gleich um die Ecke
(that's my contribution from my 1 year of German in high school)

ps2fixer
05-22-2019, 08:21 PM
SnapChat is like a video chat app for cell phones, it's like calling your friend on the phone but you see each other, not sure if it does any more than that, doubt there's any sort of groups and such for a common subject. Instagram is just for posting photos, could show off builds there etc easily, but if you had questions, someone that wanted to help you would have to be "following" you to even know you posted a question. I'm pretty sure the post for help type of stuff would never work on them platforms, facebook in theory could work great for it, and forums are great for it because of the archive of data, aka learn from your mistakes. There's a cellphone app for everything any more, and about 50% of all internet users are using a cellphone. I like a big screen and details, seems most cell users are more along the lines of min typing (because it's a pain), and shorter messages fits on their tiny screens better. I just can't grasp the concept, and I'm at the older end of the generation using them. I get that it's nice for the data anywhere any time, but at home, screw the tiny screen, give me at least a laptop to work on.

BTW, my sister is 19 as well lol, she uses those apps too, so that's kind of how I know a tiny bit about them. She uses a laptop though when she wants to see something lol.

barnett468
05-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Ich wohne gleich um die Ecke
(that's my contribution from my 1 year of German in high school)

GOOGLE TRANSLATION:

Naked behind my goat I stand erect.

.............Holy crap!

.............https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI6gbzQsDjDZXtfFI-ZM8tM_gDRa4X6lFUOYWa0yV6JJQuSOU3

ps2fixer
05-22-2019, 10:15 PM
Barnett, I'm seeing that monkey so much, I'm almost wondering if you're not human?

Arky-X
05-22-2019, 10:41 PM
GOOGLE TRANSLATION:

Naked behind my goat I stand erect.

.............Holy crap!

.............https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI6gbzQsDjDZXtfFI-ZM8tM_gDRa4X6lFUOYWa0yV6JJQuSOU3

Not quite.....try again

Joseph Farrow
05-22-2019, 10:57 PM
And i`d like to thank you for thanking me so i like you for liking me in case i forgot thank you for liking me and thank you for thanking me for liking you so that i can "like" you for thanking me.............you thanked me i know...........now i`m gonna bend over now and when i do ..........start "liking" me !

Damn Glamy.......you crack me up!

Joseph Farrow
05-22-2019, 11:21 PM
I'm with Chop. You have to have tough skin to hang around here or you may get your feelings hurt. I think a lot of the people with knowledge stay away because of some of the BS that goes on. It doesnt bother me but I'm sure in todays world some are offended. Years ago I spent alot of time on a Chevelle site. Same thing happened over there. Now it's like here you have the same 6 people doing all the posting.

El Camexican
05-23-2019, 12:30 AM
I'm with Chop. You have to have tough skin to hang around here or you may get your feelings hurt. I think a lot of the people with knowledge stay away because of some of the BS that goes on. It doesnt bother me but I'm sure in todays world some are offended. Years ago I spent alot of time on a Chevelle site. Same thing happened over there. Now it's like here you have the same 6 people doing all the posting.

I belong to multiple motorcycle and a couple car/ truck sites. The interaction aside from “post problem = receive opinions” is almost nil. Everyone comes across as having the personality of a dish rag.

I had my chops busted pretty good when I came on here, but I survived it. Unfortunately thin skin seems to be a millennial trait from what I see in the workplace, so I get where any amount of cyber-hazing would send them straight back to the reassuring comfort of their like minded socially/politically correct friends rather than stick around and try to figure how to answer a follow up question they don’t understand regarding their mechanical issue, or trying to figure out what makes Glamy tick.

What is great about this site other than the interaction is the information. I can’t count how many times I’ve been researching a mechanical, but not trike specify topic only to have a thread on this site pop up.

There’s a ton of gold on this site, but you have dig through a lot of poop to get to some of it.

ps2fixer
05-23-2019, 01:14 AM
Yep, there's defo a gold mine of info stored here. I'm tempted to make a bot to scrape the site of data, just to have a personal copy of the posts as an archive lol. I could delete the junk as I run across it that way =).

I grew up in the country, basically everyone out here is thick skinned. Get anywhere near a fair sized city and everyone is offended at everything. It's so bad, if you say a Mexican speaks Spanish they get offended for the Mexican, even though they don't know that they do speak Spanish. I'm floored at some of the stuff I've seen and just how bad it is out there. California has an interesting group of people, I'll leave a Mark Dice "social experiment" video here and you be the judge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvea_QWF4g

Maybe one more, have to love his "thanks for demonstrating that" thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CdfsCz1oKo

He does a lot of political related stuff, I tried to stay a little clear from that, but the personalities seem to relate to their political stance quite a bit.

Gabriel
05-23-2019, 04:18 AM
That’s twice Barnes. Nobody’s talking about sheep or goats. You think maybe you’re projecting your personal life into this conversation???

barnett468
05-23-2019, 12:38 PM
That’s twice Barnes. Nobody’s talking about sheep or goats. You think maybe you’re projecting your personal life into this conversation???

Nope...cuz I like Llamas! https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/hysterical.gif

Billy Golightly
05-24-2019, 07:20 AM
I think the "Thanks", "Likes", & "Dislikes" buttons are partially to blame for the lack of comments posted on the few builds that do go on. A lot of us use those buttons pretty frequently, in lieu of actually typing something.

That's a pretty interesting observation and gives me something to think about...

I'm still around - just been busy last few years building a business but finally starting to get it where it needs to be it seems.

The one major delineater is, I'm willing to bet most all of you guys are using 3WW here on desktop/laptop PCs, and not just accessing it from your phone, right? Some Tappatalk I'm sure, but the percentage of smart phone usage vs desktops has completely flipped. Like back in the day you know we all were texting with flip phones basically, the technology has just shifted. And Facebook was the first one to really make that handheld experience just work and flow right. Their picture uploading process and just the general format of sharing media and "short hand" posts is just cutting edge, no one else has a better way for humans to spit out what their brains are thinking a fraction of a second after the thought than their system. Your phone is always in your hand and the method to communicate thoughts and information through that platform is as smooth and seamless as anything else we have on the planet currently until there is actual neural connections to computers which probably isn't far off...

Forums like this were never even designed or thought of with mobile usage in mind. I think I said this a couple years ago, but I'll also make the argument that utilizing a real computer to interact generally increases the quality of posts also, where its not just a mental diarrhea. I mean, for trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro sakes, back in the day (10 years ago) if you were working in the garage or shop, you had to physically put the tools down, go in the house, open up 3WW and run a search or make a post about a question or something. Now your phone is in your back pocket (at the furthest) and you hit literally 3 taps and your posting something in Facebook or a group. I'm just as guilty and a creature of this habit too - thats one reason I can analyze it so well..lol.

So the new member restriction thing - lets revisit that history briefly. This was put in place back in 2011, at a time when most of the veteran members here were complaining about all the "FNGs" joining and asking the same question, over, and over, and over in Trikesylvania, or 5 people per week asking "what is git it rag and why do you guys keep saying, it is dumb?". People were getting scammed more often than they should have through the classifieds by people showing up here literally to sell stuff or try to rake people over by joining just for that section. The economy was in the crapper and people were trying to find some enjoyment and fun out of using the forum and trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro around with cheap old threewheelers they found in the grass, I think that was some of the traffic drivers at the time. It was a lot of Facebook level post quality coming in. There was serious concern that the site and the group was losing its culture because of all of these new members (and maybe we did anyways, that's up for debate) and them not taking the time to learn kind of the idiosyncrasies and inside jokes of the board that made it the most fun. So, I made the new member restriction in an effort to atleast "coral" that type of behavior into the new member areas and make Trikesylvania more serious quality content for the long timers to enjoy and the newer members to understand once they cut their teeth on the other sections and sort of learned their way around things. Anyone can search for "new member restriction" and take a time warp for some history. Here is one thread about 6 months before it went into effect: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/128397-Romper-Room?highlight=new+member+rule

Perhaps it is time for me to revisit this process.

I don't recall that ever really helping the moderation load, in fact more moderation and BS usually came from older members that felt they were above the rules or were entitled to act and do certain things more so than new members it seems...

I'm not sure what all the answers exactly are - but the environmental factors I'm aware of are; Mobile device usage, the general public's complete inability to focus on and concentrate on anything without an instantaneous response and dopamine high (Ie I post something on Facebook and wait for the "likes" to roll in to make me feel better about myself almost instantly), and the grumpy curmudgeonly attitude of some folks here has turned even me off from wanting to deal with it from time to time. Just putting all the cards on the table.

bkm
05-24-2019, 07:53 AM
That's a pretty interesting observation and gives me something to think about...

I'm still around - just been busy last few years building a business but finally starting to get it where it needs to be it seems.

The one major delineater is, I'm willing to bet most all of you guys are using 3WW here on desktop/laptop PCs, and not just accessing it from your phone, right? Some Tappatalk I'm sure, but the percentage of smart phone usage vs desktops has completely flipped. Like back in the day you know we all were texting with flip phones basically, the technology has just shifted. And Facebook was the first one to really make that handheld experience just work and flow right. Their picture uploading process and just the general format of sharing media and "short hand" posts is just cutting edge, no one else has a better way for humans to spit out what their brains are thinking a fraction of a second after the thought than their system. Your phone is always in your hand and the method to communicate thoughts and information through that platform is as smooth and seamless as anything else we have on the planet currently until there is actual neural connections to computers which probably isn't far off...

Forums like this were never even designed or thought of with mobile usage in mind. I think I said this a couple years ago, but I'll also make the argument that utilizing a real computer to interact generally increases the quality of posts also, where its not just a mental diarrhea. I mean, for trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro sakes, back in the day (10 years ago) if you were working in the garage or shop, you had to physically put the tools down, go in the house, open up 3WW and run a search or make a post about a question or something. Now your phone is in your back pocket (at the furthest) and you hit literally 3 taps and your posting something in Facebook or a group. I'm just as guilty and a creature of this habit too - thats one reason I can analyze it so well..lol.

So the new member restriction thing - lets revisit that history briefly. This was put in place back in 2011, at a time when most of the veteran members here were complaining about all the "FNGs" joining and asking the same question, over, and over, and over in Trikesylvania, or 5 people per week asking "what is git it rag and why do you guys keep saying, it is dumb?". People were getting scammed more often than they should have through the classifieds by people showing up here literally to sell stuff or try to rake people over by joining just for that section. The economy was in the crapper and people were trying to find some enjoyment and fun out of using the forum and trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro around with cheap old threewheelers they found in the grass, I think that was some of the traffic drivers at the time. It was a lot of Facebook level post quality coming in. There was serious concern that the site and the group was losing its culture because of all of these new members (and maybe we did anyways, that's up for debate) and them not taking the time to learn kind of the idiosyncrasies and inside jokes of the board that made it the most fun. So, I made the new member restriction in an effort to atleast "coral" that type of behavior into the new member areas and make Trikesylvania more serious quality content for the long timers to enjoy and the newer members to understand once they cut their teeth on the other sections and sort of learned their way around things. Anyone can search for "new member restriction" and take a time warp for some history. Here is one thread about 6 months before it went into effect: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/128397-Romper-Room?highlight=new+member+rule

Perhaps it is time for me to revisit this process.

I don't recall that ever really helping the moderation load, in fact more moderation and BS usually came from older members that felt they were above the rules or were entitled to act and do certain things more so than new members it seems...

I'm not sure what all the answers exactly are - but the environmental factors I'm aware of are; Mobile device usage, the general public's complete inability to focus on and concentrate on anything without an instantaneous response and dopamine high (Ie I post something on Facebook and wait for the "likes" to roll in to make me feel better about myself almost instantly), and the grumpy curmudgeonly attitude of some folks here has turned even me off from wanting to deal with it from time to time. Just putting all the cards on the table.I respect this response. You do forget certain things that lead to certain things and the details as to why they happen.

The only other forum I belong to is a four eyed mustang forum and they are no nonsense Gestapo types. Lots of good info, but that's all it is, info. A drag car build gets little attention, but if you wanna break down a valve cover emissions decal on an 1983 2.3 LX Mustang, it's a circle jerk of epic proportions.

I know the moderation is a thankless job, I moderate for a living.

ps2fixer
05-24-2019, 11:01 AM
Way to prove me wrong Billy, I should have went to your profile and make sure I had the facts right, looks like around 1 post per day average, just most of the posts are in sections I'm rarely in. I defiantly stand behind some updates though. Vbulletin is big name software, but I haven't worked with it lately to know if there's anything to make it a better mobile experience or not, but clearly smart phones has been a huge effect. Also, yep I'm on a laptop/desktop, no way I'd ever try to type these messages on a cellphone, I'd have 15 pages of text to reread for all the auto correct mistakes lol.

Also for a side note, 3wheeler.org is effectively offline now, so this is one of the only 3 wheeler sites around. I've talked to more people than I'd care to admit that says they won't post here because of drama, no clue what all the situations are though.

barnett468
05-24-2019, 11:08 AM

I don't think the likes and dislikes buttons are much of an issue. Yes, they reduce the number of actual posts, however, if it is on a tech thread where someone is needing information, and people make posts replying to others that offer information they like, it then adds unnecessary posts that the op or other people in need of help for a similar problem have to go thru to find the posts with the info they want. This isn't as much of an issue with 1 or even 2 page threads, but becomes more problematic the longer the thread is.

In other words, I think there are far better things to focus on if changes are to be made than getting rid of the likes and dislikes buttons, such as the waiting period and the 10 post requirement for new members as bkm originally mentioned. Also, if you consider making any changes, it might be a good idea to take a poll to see what the people that actually use the site think about them before you make them.

Here's just a couple examples of rarely used forums that serve little purpose that you could consider eliminating or combining.

THIS VS THAT - Has a whopping 9 threads since 3-11-2017, so that forum seems kinda pointless to me.

FRACAS ESTABLISHMENT - Has a total of 19 threads since the first one was posted on 6-9-2017

TRIKE FEST SPECIFIC and TRIKE FEST DOCUMENTARY - Possibly these two forums could be combined.

SITE AND BOARD FEEDBACK QUESTIONS - Has no threads at all and you already have a SITE AND BOARD FEEDBACK AND NEW FEATURE forum anyway.

NEW MEMBER DISCUSSION and TRIKESLVANIA

NEW MEMBER COMMENCEMENT - I seriously doubt that more than a small handful of regular members even ever look at this, and I doubt that anyone seriously cares what someones bio is, like where they live or why they like trikes so much or what their job is etc.

ps2fixer
05-24-2019, 11:25 AM
I agree with Barnett, except the New Member Commencement could just be a section under Trikeslvania, like "Introductions" or whatever. Humans are naturally selfish, they love talking about their self, so it's a good section to keep new members happy. It could fall under some sort of general chat/off topic section too. Most sites I sign up on I typically make a little post there. It's just to get my feet wet with the site and meet some people. If we go with the target of more tech info only and less personalized, then dropping the section would help that image I'd think.

barnett468
05-24-2019, 11:55 AM
I agree with Barnett, except the New Member Commencement could just be a section under Trikeslvania, like "Introductions" or whatever. Humans are naturally selfish, they love talking about their self, so it's a good section to keep new members happy. It could fall under some sort of general chat/off topic section too. Most sites I sign up on I typically make a little post there. It's just to get my feet wet with the site and meet some people. If we go with the target of more tech info only and less personalized, then dropping the section would help that image I'd think.

If it is mandatory that someone post in the new member commencement area before they post elsewhere, I think that at the very least that restriction should be removed and make posting there an option instead of a requirement. Also, I for one don't like much of anything that reminds me of school or formal occasions etc, and I'm guessing that some new members don't either, so I would prefer that the word Commencement be changed to Introduction, if that forum stayed.

barnett468
05-24-2019, 12:01 PM
POST CORRECTION CUZ I STILL AIN'T GOTZ NO EDIT BUTTON :cool:

"NEW MEMBER DISCUSSION and TRIKESLVANIA"

Should read:

"NEW MEMBER DISCUSSION and TRIKESYLVANIA - Other than their names being different, these forums seem basically identical to me, so perhaps they could be combined."

ps2fixer
05-24-2019, 12:24 PM
Yea that's what I meant, the restrictions are user based instead of applied to the sections. I'm not sure if it would work well here, but I suspect a hybrid between forum and social media would be like 3-5 pretty general titled sections total on the site. For example, like General Chat, Trikesylvania, Off Topic. If I made a new forum today, I'd target a format something like that, simple for the cellphone users, and low number of sections so activity appears good. If the site is popular though, not sure how good the design would be.

My target on here is for a thread not to go with no replies. I know how crappy it feels to ask something and get no response at all, even a "I don't know but I think this" type of reply is better than nothing.

Billy Golightly
05-25-2019, 08:03 AM
Way to prove me wrong Billy, I should have went to your profile and make sure I had the facts right, looks like around 1 post per day average, just most of the posts are in sections I'm rarely in. I defiantly stand behind some updates though. Vbulletin is big name software, but I haven't worked with it lately to know if there's anything to make it a better mobile experience or not, but clearly smart phones has been a huge effect. Also, yep I'm on a laptop/desktop, no way I'd ever try to type these messages on a cellphone, I'd have 15 pages of text to reread for all the auto correct mistakes lol.

Also for a side note, 3wheeler.org is effectively offline now, so this is one of the only 3 wheeler sites around. I've talked to more people than I'd care to admit that says they won't post here because of drama, no clue what all the situations are though.

No - some of your comments were completely justified. I freely admit I have not been around here a lot lately, but far cry from having given up on it. The BS over the years has contributed some to my lack of being here also for sure. But it's mostly convenience I'd say.

vBulletin is effectively dead. There are some alternatives, the original development team now has a suite called XenForo. 3 years ago or so I spent a few hundred bucks in purchasing version 1.x and several addons to attempt to replace basic functionality of this forum and test out and see how it would work on Xenforo porting our data. I even worked with a programmer/consultant that ported large vB communities for a little bit. I was not impressed. It had not matured enough yet and there was not enough real world application of some of the replacement products to match this platform for me to feel good about switching. They've since released version 2.0 and I have not revisited it yet. The bones of it seem to be good and it is a lot more user and mobile friendly, modern code base, passionate addon community and developers, but there was tons of functionality here we would not have had when I looked at it. No user groups, no albums, no real article or front page system, no calendar (use to be useful for sharing Trikefest and other local ride events) just a lot of stuff didn't transfer over well. Like you could import stuff from here to Xenforo, but there wasn't a good way to re-integrate it or use it in a similar manner as there has been here. Here is my post infact on their forum when I was trying things out: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/to-those-that-have-imported-a-vb4-suite-community-this-is-long.70714/

I still think this may be the best platform for us to migrate to, but it will be a 100% departure from anything familiar here if that happens...https://xenforo.com/community/ So that's a bit of a challenge.

ps2fixer
05-25-2019, 12:04 PM
I've seen xenforo a bit, never been on the admin side much though. I started off with Vbull for side projects, but modding it etc is a pain. Mybb was super easy to add say a landing page manually and still have access to like member info, logged in status etc. That's more of the manual approach though, not sure how great the plugins are, I generally setup sites with a bare min setup and only add a few things. Higher security, and used to be a performance thing, but servers are power houses now so that shouldn't be a problem as long as the database is designed pretty well.

My orig post was meant like you're only here on a week or less, when I checked your profile, clearly you still get on the site often with the ~1 post per day. There's always room for improvement, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Scootertrash
05-25-2019, 01:33 PM
Using "too much drama" as an excuse to criticize or leave a forum is pretty lame in my narrow minded view. From my limited view of it, Facebook has just as much, if not more drama as any forum I belong to. (try visiting AR15.com General Discussion sometime:rolleyes:) The thing is, with facebook the drama gets scrolled out of the main page in a matter of minutes if not seconds. On a forum all the posts are there to see and don't disappear unless it's deleted or the thread is locked.

The best thing, well one of the best things, about those that complain about too much "drama"? How hard is it to check the fack out of a thread you don't like? Seriously. Hit the back button, go back to the main forum page and find something you deem to be more appealing instead of creating drama about the drama, FFS.

There are some subjects that people are very passionate about and a middle ground will never be found, Religion, politics and oil, to name a few.

How to avoid drama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgj4QvcIUcg

ps2fixer
05-25-2019, 01:40 PM
Yea it's a weird excuse, I think what they mean is someone they can't get along with uses the forums, so they left to avoid the person or whatever. I see what they meant though, I saw one of them post and people out of the wood work started bashing them out of nowhere, but like I said, I don't really know the context. I wouldn't let that bother me much, there is an ignore member feature on the site.

Scootertrash
05-25-2019, 02:03 PM
Yea it's a weird excuse, I think what they mean is someone they can't get along with uses the forums, so they left to avoid the person or whatever. I see what they meant though, I saw one of them post and people out of the wood work started bashing them out of nowhere, but like I said, I don't really know the context. I wouldn't let that bother me much, there is an ignore member feature on the site.

What he said ;):naughty:

barnett468
05-25-2019, 03:09 PM
There are some subjects that people are very passionate about and a middle ground will never be found... ...oil

OMG...there goes my spleen!

http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/l/laughing/graphics-laughing-867787.gif

ironchop
05-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Well then maybe we should just bash the F**k out of whoever shows up and if they don't have thick enough skin, then we throw them out... But don't complain when you got six frocking people left on here to talk to.

Frankly, I don't care too awful much after this post. I'm mostly just wasting my breath. I don't post in open forum about most topic, not because I have "thin skin".... It's because I have a huge temper and no, I'm not going to kiss and make up at trikefest. I ain't never been one to back down and that goes especially for being in person.

The people on the open forum pretending like you need some sorry ass "Woke Card" or else you're an idiot..... See I don't get my feelings hurt for being called an idiot. What I WILL DO is have a conversation to your face about the problem.

I'm not "ignoring" anyone either because the three people I ever ignored in 14 yrs on this forum pretty much monopolized every damn post in this place. WTF is the point of opening a 40 reply thread to have 28 posts blocked out?

Facebook means nothing to me so I'm not going to sit and make a chart between this place and FB and look for the pros and cons. Facebook is where people who crave attention go to get social reinforcement and to virtue signal each other.

I will also not argue with idiots. I don't care what your little mommies told you growing up about how special and unique you are, but I just don't give a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro about how woke or well versed in YouTube drivel you are. Saying you want a discussion, monopolizing the conversation, and then getting pissed because someone doesn't bow before the great and powerful Oz. They can argue with themselves.

If you want to call that "thin-skinned", go ahead. We both know the internet is a safe space for people with mouths.

Is Billy Golightly thin skinned too? He said he doesnt care for the BS and that he didn't stop in as much because he has better things to do so I guess the owner of the forum should man up?

I don't let someone come to my home and call me an idiot without them getting a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro slap, so why would I gay up in this place so that people won't say I'm "thin-skinned"

So I guess I'm one of those people who use "too much drama" as an excuse to stop posting in certain areas and much less than historically in other areas.

If I want to sit and argue about stupid things that ultimately don't matter or stroke the egos of people, I'll spend more time with my wife and less time online. At least I occasionally get a sexual favor from her for my troubles as opposed to here, so I have even less tolerance for the drama all up in imaginary unicorn internet land.

Do as you will. You know what's up already so if this all goes in the toilet, then you shouldn't be surprised... All I said was that maybe we should stop being dickheads. The general consensus seems to be "people are to easily offended"..... Yeah I agree, however we tried being dicks for the last 8 yrs and this place hemmorhaged users like a gunshot wound to the carotid. I guess folks would rather keep trying the same thing while expecting change

And nobody left this place because the software was bad. SMMFH

Billy Golightly
05-25-2019, 07:53 PM
Well then maybe we should just bash the F**k out of whoever shows up and if they don't have thick enough skin, then we throw them out... But don't complain when you got six frocking people left on here to talk to.

Frankly, I don't care too awful much after this post. I'm mostly just wasting my breath. I don't post in open forum about most topic, not because I have "thin skin".... It's because I have a huge temper and no, I'm not going to kiss and make up at trikefest. I ain't never been one to back down and that goes especially for being in person.

The people on the open forum pretending like you need some sorry ass "Woke Card" or else you're an idiot..... See I don't get my feelings hurt for being called an idiot. What I WILL DO is have a conversation to your face about the problem.

I'm not "ignoring" anyone either because the three people I ever ignored in 14 yrs on this forum pretty much monopolized every damn post in this place. WTF is the point of opening a 40 reply thread to have 28 posts blocked out?

Facebook means nothing to me so I'm not going to sit and make a chart between this place and FB and look for the pros and cons. Facebook is where people who crave attention go to get social reinforcement and to virtue signal each other.

I will also not argue with idiots. I don't care what your little mommies told you growing up about how special and unique you are, but I just don't give a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro about how woke or well versed in YouTube drivel you are. Saying you want a discussion, monopolizing the conversation, and then getting pissed because someone doesn't bow before the great and powerful Oz. They can argue with themselves.

If you want to call that "thin-skinned", go ahead. We both know the internet is a safe space for people with mouths.

Is Billy Golightly thin skinned too? He said he doesnt care for the BS and that he didn't stop in as much because he has better things to do so I guess the owner of the forum should man up?

I don't let someone come to my home and call me an idiot without them getting a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro slap, so why would I gay up in this place so that people won't say I'm "thin-skinned"

So I guess I'm one of those people who use "too much drama" as an excuse to stop posting in certain areas and much less than historically in other areas.

If I want to sit and argue about stupid things that ultimately don't matter or stroke the egos of people, I'll spend more time with my wife and less time online. At least I occasionally get a sexual favor from her for my troubles as opposed to here, so I have even less tolerance for the drama all up in imaginary unicorn internet land.

Do as you will. You know what's up already so if this all goes in the toilet, then you shouldn't be surprised... All I said was that maybe we should stop being dickheads. The general consensus seems to be "people are to easily offended"..... Yeah I agree, however we tried being dicks for the last 8 yrs and this place hemmorhaged users like a gunshot wound to the carotid. I guess folks would rather keep trying the same thing while expecting change

Is this directed at me? I'm kind of dense admittedly and a bit touched so I may need things spelled out more than most others...

In any case, people not being dicks in general would surely be helpful to the existing and also new membership.

ps2fixer
05-25-2019, 09:10 PM
I was kind of questioning the same thing for myself lol. I don't think I'm too abrasive though.

Scootertrash
05-25-2019, 10:01 PM

I'm not sure if any of your post pertains to my post, but I would like to clarify just a wee bit:

I'm not advocating people visiting here should be treated like crap. I think a lot of us where "hazed"(for lack of a better term) when we first showed up here. Hell it seems to be SOP when you're a noob on a forum to get a rash of shyte when you first join, sort of a rite of passage much like when you join a new group of friends, a new friend joins your group, or you get on a different crew at work.

My main point was focused on the ones who whine about "drama", and that definitely ain't you 'chop.

A while back we had some *cough* spirited discussions going and we'd have members pop in just to say sh!t like "This is why people don't stay on 3WW! Too much drama!! fakebook is better!! They wouldn't add anything to the discussion, or very little. Just make a post about the drama and that's it.

Saying you want a discussion, monopolizing the conversation, and then getting pissed because someone doesn't bow before the great and powerful Oz.

This is the bigger problem, and most everybody here knows who the perps are.

There are times when I've had my fill of the above mentioned BS and I tip da fack out of a thread. Insecure little beeyotches ain't worth it. I'm sure they take it as a victory and stroke their infantile, miniscule little egos and makes them feel like they have some kind of power. It's actually rather sad.

So should we stop being dicks? Wait, I have a better idea! The individuals who are being dicks should knock it the fack off. It's not like the whole membership does it.

El Camexican
05-25-2019, 11:26 PM
I was kind of questioning the same thing for myself lol. I don't think I'm too abrasive though.

I think all of us can reflect in that pond.

Scootertrash
05-26-2019, 07:33 AM
I think all of us can reflect in that pond.

And I can do my hair at the same time.

I try to keep my abrasiveness to around a 180 grit. Just enough to cause a nice rash.......;)

Billy Golightly
05-26-2019, 08:01 AM
My burn out is associated with people and situations beyond you guys here posting. There has been nearly 20 years worth of nitpicking and infighting amonst this community, many, many, 2 hour or longer phone calls with different individuals trying to patch up bad friendships, entire riding trips out of area to try and do the same. Some out in the open, quite a lot behind the scenes, so a person does tend to get burnt out on that sort of stuff. Banning people doesn't really work effectively here (aka a gazillion dohc accounts). Facebook's block and ignore is miraculous. It makes internetting and sharing stuff with most of my friends an enjoyable process.

As far as the moderation and stuff i mean here is the thing, I've kind of always thought of myself more as a "steward" to this place rather than a ruler. I've watched, observed, made changes or guided it in ways I thought it would benefit from INDEPENDENTLY of what my own personal thoughts and feelings were in almost all cases unless my emotions really happened to get the better of me (It has happened a few times). That's not to say the place can be a lawless anarchy with God only knows what getting posted and thrown around here, but I certainly err on the side of Laissez-Faire rather than iron first. Come to think of it, I think a lot of that came about from complaints/suggestions of people saying that the mod team back in the old days was too harsh, and that people couldn't even pick on their friends jokingly without getting into trouble. And it is a kind of pain in the ass thankless job, but it can be rewarding and you can make some great friends too. I've met the best people from this site, and I suspect and hope I will continue to meet awesome people through it. I still like to build things, too.

Here's a workstation table I made for my real estate office w/ my 86 year old father out of literal scrap iron not 2 weeks ago;

ironchop
05-28-2019, 01:34 AM
Is this directed at me? I'm kind of dense admittedly and a bit touched so I may need things spelled out more than most others...

In any case, people not being dicks in general would surely be helpful to the existing and also new membership.

No I mentioned you because I got the impression that you were saying that you were tired of BS so you don't spend as much time here anymore (my confirmation bias). Your post at the bottom clarified that, so I guess I got the wrong impression. I didn't know there was moderating behind the scenes so much.

I'm feeling really aggressive in general after the open heart surgery for some really wierd reason so I guess I got triggered while I was railing on about not being triggered... My own hypocrisy in display.

Personally, I don't like arguing and personal ribbing isn't the same thing for any two people. I remember when we were complaining about the iron fist thing and how you guys let off compared to say, 2005.

The problem is that people have told me that they left because they were sick of the drama or don't post because of the drama..... Well they either never came back or they choose to stay silent and it's not my job to speak for anyone, so I'm conceding. I got tore up because I'm afraid I'm going to wake up one day, and it will all be gone like airfoolers because everyone ran away and websites ain't cheap or lazy work.

The whole point of all of my responses in this thread was that maybe we could police ourselves better. Bans keep out the people who respect a ban enough to stay away. The real dicks just keep signing up. Brian Raffa and Tim Sr, etc. didn't keep making accounts and troll the place.

I'm becoming one of those "get off my lawn" guys and I should just STFU more often. It's hard to tell what kind of inflection (?) a person is using. Are they being smardazz buddies busting your chops or is it a patronizing reply from a person who masturbates to their own reflection. To hard for me to tell online these days

ironchop
05-28-2019, 02:02 AM
I'm not sure if any of your post pertains to my post, but I would like to clarify just a wee bit:

I'm not advocating people visiting here should be treated like crap. I think a lot of us where "hazed"(for lack of a better term) when we first showed up here. Hell it seems to be SOP when you're a noob on a forum to get a rash of shyte when you first join, sort of a rite of passage much like when you join a new group of friends, a new friend joins your group, or you get on a different crew at work.

My main point was focused on the ones who whine about "drama", and that definitely ain't you 'chop.

A while back we had some *cough* spirited discussions going and we'd have members pop in just to say sh!t like "This is why people don't stay on 3WW! Too much drama!! fakebook is better!! They wouldn't add anything to the discussion, or very little. Just make a post about the drama and that's it.

This is the bigger problem, and most everybody here knows who the perps are.

There are times when I've had my fill of the above mentioned BS and I tip da fack out of a thread. Insecure little beeyotches ain't worth it. I'm sure they take it as a victory and stroke their infantile, miniscule little egos and makes them feel like they have some kind of power. It's actually rather sad.

So should we stop being dicks? Wait, I have a better idea! The individuals who are being dicks should knock it the fack off. It's not like the whole membership does it.

I wasn't sure what you meant and I was in a foul mood so my post didn't make much sense. It wasn't directed at you.

PS2, I just don't think it's the software but I'm no expert I could have left out the 'smfh' part...I apologise for the dick move.

Glamy, why you dislike my post? You dislike more of my posts more than anyone else. You know why I say dick stuff to you? It's because you get so tore up and start throwing rocks at us because you think our collective outrage is insufficient. Nevermind that our righteous outrage would do nothing, affect nothing, or even feel threatening one bit to the cabal that perpetrated all these genocides. Stop yelling at us lackeys because the Elite won't quit devil worshipping and drinking adrenochrome. Why can't we have a discussion where one of you two doesn't get infuriated because we aren't already loading our rifles and mustering troops? 14 people from a three-wheeler forum aren't enough to save the country man. Do you just need to yell or what?

If we really are that stupid, how dumb do you have to be to want to lead a bunch of stupid sheeple into revolution. I would go look for smart people and leave us dummies to get zombie eaten

I dislike that you dislike my post because maybe you dislike me which I simply dislike the thought of that. It's just dislikable

ps2fixer
05-28-2019, 02:18 AM
Not a problem, software effects atmosphere a bit, but moderation/rules and such does more. There's some tricks to better track people even on proxies etc, idea is to make it more of a pain for them to get around the ban/block than what it's worth for their giggles or whatever they get from it. Same logic as spammers, make it hard for them, and they spam elsewhere most of the time.

Scootertrash
05-28-2019, 07:08 AM
If you monopolize ones anus, do you not pass go and not collect $200?

Or is posting about monopolizing ones anus sh!t posting? I'm wiped out.........

ironchop
05-28-2019, 09:18 AM
No .....i "like" you too much..........i wanted to be the first to Monopolize your ice hole ...........and if you "like" that...........you might "thank" me for my ice hole...........i don`t think too much about this site............but it pains me to see so much anguish over words on the internet............being a hippie from the 60`s i was a little disappointed with the "evolution" of man kind ,,,,,,,,,,,,i`m gonna quote you ........"lets raise awareness so that others won`t put hamsters in their ? "........well you know ..........no Chop it just seemed like you were backing off the throttle .........which is not "like" you ..........i wish you a speedy recovery ..........so that i can offend and Monopolize your anus ......:Bounce:Bounce:naughty::naughty::Bounce

Yeah I was born in 71 and I'm pretty alarmed at the de-evolution in mankind taking place as well though I have less experience than you. I own Idiocracy on Blu-ray and it's not even funny anymore. It's more nauseating.

You're right, I did back off the throttle. It IS unlike me. But just like any time in real life, I get into an argument with a friend or somebody I like, I HAVE to back off. I have this stupid temper and I ALWAYS make things exponentially worse in any number of ways when I get real mad.

Fabs used to say that people can disagree on here and then go to TF for a week and makeup. I can't. I hold grudges. I confront people if I'm really not able to get past it, so to speak

I'm an average intelligence guy who makes stupid, brutish choices and I'm trying to reign that in. My grandson is afraid to come near me. He's four. When I recognize that I'm about to say something mean to a friend, loved one, or a person I respect, I have to learn to back off the gas pedal. Once that stuff falls out your mouth or into a post, you can't take it back.

I'm a 3X Grandpa and I can't be jumping out on people at traffic lights or publicly yelling at a 20 year old kid at a packed lunchtime Wendy's for cutting in line and making him move back.

In my mind, I still think people are too easily hurt, some bullying is necessary for some fools, and it would be nice if we could have some dark humor and call each other cupcakes and fruit-holes but we aren't the only people in here. I'm willing to try and conduct myself in a gentlemanly manner for the sake of continuity...... Not cum-by-yall or give peace a chance but just maybe not be so Slayer all the time.

Now I'm sick of talking about being nice. It's nauseating. I don't care what happens here after this and Lord knows I don't have any solutions to the problem.

DAM shop
05-28-2019, 12:31 PM
Here lies part of the issue in my opinion with this site and all of us passionate member's that partake in our daily discussions. This thread started off as a open ended question. "Has anyone else noticed a sudden increase in new member's" and has ended up here. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that but we do this more time's than not meaning we trail off the original subject and the post turn's into something good or bad. Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that but when a new member comes on and decides to jump into a thread that he thought may help him ( not this one in particular) how frustrating it might be for him or her to quickly discover that he is in way over his head as to what the H is going on.
I enjoy all of your company and have also gained a lot of knowledge beacuse of that and I like that we talk about more than just trikes on here. With that being said I do think that we scare a lot of people off because we do trail off subject once in a while. I am not sure how one would prevent that from happening, keeping post conversation relevent to the original topic. Being that I am a fairly new member compared to many of you, I do see this as an issue.
As far as hurting ones feeling's and getting offended "if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen" It's easy to bash one another through words not so easy in person. There was a member on here when I first joined that took a pretty bad bashing from some folks here. I myself refuse at times to engage in that type of behavior, i would much rather concentrate on myself and my action's. So my answer to that member was to just drop out of the conversation. Beleive me when push comes to shove and I am attacked I can get pretty mean have done so all my life and still continue to do so just not as much. But what I can do and have learned to accept is that some folks are arse holes and are not worth my time and energy to exchange words with especially on line. I'm like you Chop if it bugs me bad enough I'll seek someone out and confront. Needless to say that person is no longer on this site for many reason's I'm sure. I also think he could have saved himself alot of anquish by just backing off. That's all I have to say about that..

"Peace,Love and Drugs."
"Ass, Grass or Gas, nobody rides for free"
"If you can't dazzle them with brillance, baffle them with Bullshit"

Mosh
05-29-2019, 07:16 AM
In my opinion, it was so the mods could be lazy and keep all the newbs in one confined area. Then all the mods bailed anyway.
Not all the mods " bailed "..A lot of people that active post around here are members from 2012 and up..And it is not much. Sure you can blame FB or whatever..But after 2010 a lot of things just changed for the bad. When Tim Sr left, he was the hard nosed moderator that was kind of the Iron Fist this place needed..Billy needed a new police force that would take that up. Me and one other was stupid enough to be the bulldogs..As his outlook changed for " more quantity" members our leashes were tightened, then eventually just told to lay off while the mod team had " endless roundtable " discussions on what to do with dumbasses that were ruining the forum, which is how the like buttons, and new member forum developed along with other avenues..Those old enough may recall the " super hero, alter ego moderation team".. It was stupid but we tried it.
I will admit, I pissed many off, and made mistakes.....but the majority of those people had problems gelling with the rules and herd..Soon all the original forum rules, were peeled away one by one, and bulldogs became bullies for enforcing rules that were no longer in effect..
My wife was very active as a Admin and was a direct replacement for Tim SR back in 07..Looking back we thought it was to spite Tim, but I really think at one point Billy really appreciated her, more than me, and the contributions around here... She was cast to the curb for no reason after me having a Go around with Billy over him letting a fellow mod and a few members attacking her personally and threatening her business. For some Reason, Billy just could not understand the concept of me defending her, and how his lack of assistance enraged me. "We had to let these few assholes have enough rope to hang themselves" all the while attacking some pretty hard working contributing memebers....We tried to talk it out, I had my wife remove me as a moderator so that she could stay and admin, then he removed her shortly after. I am over it, I really do not care anymore. I know Billy will read this, maybe have a knee jerk reaction, or hopefully just see the message for what it is and realize now, this is what is left..Dust, lost friends, forum changes good or bad, etc..I am happier to be off duty, my wife is happy to have it off her back as well..Billy may be happier he has his self moderation let anything go forum under his belt now and he dont deal with us or a few others... I see the same 25 new people post it turns into anal discussions and derails..Maybe that was the environment everybody gets along with these days..Maybe we are all still friends but to proud to talk and say that..It was all stupid trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro..Arguments that either side was just not going to come to terms with...
There used to be 180 to 300 members online at a given time..Pages went 3 deep in 30 minutes...
Maybe FB ruined it..Maybe I ruined it..Maybe Billy Ruined it Maybe Tim Sr Ruined it..Maybe Racing ruined it..Maybe it all ruined us..Maybe some of society just missed a good child hood ass beating or 2 and have daddy issues..But Neither of us quit as mods...We were shown the door....

DAM shop
05-29-2019, 09:00 AM
Sounds like to me that this site could survive with a few mod/admin changes. Nothing against any of the mods/admins now but maybe it's time for some new blood..

DAM shop
05-29-2019, 10:05 AM
Why do you think that ?...........why do you need any moderation ?...........Mosh admits he pucked up the site.............spit it Dam shop ........ Tim Sr was running kids out for riding their bikes to and from riding areas cause they had no truck ! :cry .......how uncool is that ?.... whiny little biotches !

oh Glamy, The fact is that all things go through growing pains. maybe having someone activly involved in making a few changes here or there for the better of the site is all I meant. Moderation maybe not so much, changes to make the site a bit more inticing to newbies and exsiting memebrs .. I don't have the answers but when someone or something refuses to change it's just the same old same old..

Gabriel
05-29-2019, 10:22 AM
.....why don`t we discuss some of our "quality" newer members ?

Don’t leave out the less than quality new members too.
Glamy. Hi Glamy!
You better like my post or I won’t like yours.

El Camexican
05-29-2019, 12:12 PM
...........Mosh admits he pucked up the site.............

Glamy, can you do me a favor and either remove, or apologize of that particular comment?

In turn I’ll admit in advance that I’m a dick for a lot of what I’ve posted up pertaining to some of your posts (and those of others) and maybe, just MAYBE the well thought out words in this tread by Doug, Billy, Mosh and a few others can actually be pondered and embraced by the few of us that remain on here and lead to a more interactive and friendly environment?

What do you say?

Mosh
05-29-2019, 05:32 PM
Glamy, can you do me a favor and either remove, or apologize of that particular comment?

In turn I’ll admit in advance that I’m a dick for a lot of what I’ve posted up pertaining to some of your posts (and those of others) and maybe, just MAYBE the well thought out words in this tread by Doug, Billy, Mosh and a few others can actually be pondered and embraced by the few of us that remain on here and lead to a more interactive and friendly environment?

What do you say?
It is quite okay really. That is the beauty of having the experience of dealing with people over the years. At some point you figure out you will not change somebody's mind. No matter who is right or wrong, when pride gets in the way, there just will not be a reasoning with a person not open to analytics. He has never liked us, never will. I could go to the ends of the earth to kiss his ass, and he will still refer to my wife's career as
" custom cunt cushions" because that is what he wants to believe..Even he can not admit to the fact that I am SO GREAT in my existence on this mudball, that he actually believes I, single handedly, ruined a 15,000 member forum..However, out of a 200 word paragraph, that is what he wants to piece together and distribute to any weak minded fool that will buy into his bullshit....I mean really I should be flattered with his narrow minded assessment of my " greatness, " that I alone.... solely could have achieved such an accomplishment. I am at peace with him..Really I am at peace with all my enemies. They have no outcome on my day to day life. If their negativity makes them feel good, then let them enjoy it..Some people just want to watch the world burn....Nobody can change that.

El Camexican
05-29-2019, 06:57 PM
No ..........you`re one of the biggest drama queens on here...........you bend and twist peoples words to manipulate for your own agenda..........maybe you should hold your breath for that ..........let them speak for themselves .........:p:p:p:Bounce:Bounce:p:p:p

Thanks Glamy. I figured you'd take the opportunity to step up on the stage and show us what it is you're really made of and you came through with flying colors.

Have a nice day :beer

Billy Golightly
05-29-2019, 08:01 PM
Well, one things evident from this thread. People are still passionate about the place. That's a good thing.

Billy Golightly
05-29-2019, 08:05 PM
Not all the mods " bailed "..A lot of people that active post around here are members from 2012 and up..And it is not much. Sure you can blame FB or whatever..But after 2010 a lot of things just changed for the bad. When Tim Sr left, he was the hard nosed moderator that was kind of the Iron Fist this place needed..Billy needed a new police force that would take that up. Me and one other was stupid enough to be the bulldogs..As his outlook changed for " more quantity" members our leashes were tightened, then eventually just told to lay off while the mod team had " endless roundtable " discussions on what to do with dumbasses that were ruining the forum, which is how the like buttons, and new member forum developed along with other avenues..Those old enough may recall the " super hero, alter ego moderation team".. It was stupid but we tried it.
I will admit, I pissed many off, and made mistakes.....but the majority of those people had problems gelling with the rules and herd..Soon all the original forum rules, were peeled away one by one, and bulldogs became bullies for enforcing rules that were no longer in effect..
My wife was very active as a Admin and was a direct replacement for Tim SR back in 07..Looking back we thought it was to spite Tim, but I really think at one point Billy really appreciated her, more than me, and the contributions around here... She was cast to the curb for no reason after me having a Go around with Billy over him letting a fellow mod and a few members attacking her personally and threatening her business. For some Reason, Billy just could not understand the concept of me defending her, and how his lack of assistance enraged me. "We had to let these few assholes have enough rope to hang themselves" all the while attacking some pretty hard working contributing memebers....We tried to talk it out, I had my wife remove me as a moderator so that she could stay and admin, then he removed her shortly after. I am over it, I really do not care anymore. I know Billy will read this, maybe have a knee jerk reaction, or hopefully just see the message for what it is and realize now, this is what is left..Dust, lost friends, forum changes good or bad, etc..I am happier to be off duty, my wife is happy to have it off her back as well..Billy may be happier he has his self moderation let anything go forum under his belt now and he dont deal with us or a few others... I see the same 25 new people post it turns into anal discussions and derails..Maybe that was the environment everybody gets along with these days..Maybe we are all still friends but to proud to talk and say that..It was all stupid trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro..Arguments that either side was just not going to come to terms with...
There used to be 180 to 300 members online at a given time..Pages went 3 deep in 30 minutes...
Maybe FB ruined it..Maybe I ruined it..Maybe Billy Ruined it Maybe Tim Sr Ruined it..Maybe Racing ruined it..Maybe it all ruined us..Maybe some of society just missed a good child hood ass beating or 2 and have daddy issues..But Neither of us quit as mods...We were shown the door....

Rob - I remember certain aspects of this differently, but that's okay. I could be wrong. Despite the blow ups and tensions over the years I really did consider you and Tammy both to be good, close friends of mine at times. Maybe you don't care and my mere existence here will just piss you off more again, but for whatever it's worth, sorry we each wound up on the sides we did. Definitely seems to be some irreparable feelings on both sides and I get that.

Mosh
05-29-2019, 08:15 PM
Billy, I made a lot of stupid mistakes..Selfish, prideful mistakes. Our existence here, and what has come from those good days still pays dividends, For both you and us I think.
Nothing was so bad between us that I would consider it non repairable. I mean really, we let a couple of jealous dick swinging idiots pit us against each other....And I truly mean that. I know why you did things a certain way at certain times, and I would guess we are both wiser now, than we were just 6 short years ago...I would still consider us friends enough that we could get together anytime at a ride, and just not even talk about that stupid trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro...We had a lot of good times

bkm
05-29-2019, 08:20 PM
Well, one things evident from this thread. People are still passionate about the place. That's a good thing.We are. I've tried saying phuck it several times, but the site and the people keep drawing me back. I've even tried to resurrect my affection for trikes several times over the last few years and get disgusted with them mostly because of Facebook, but I always come back here.

Mosh
05-29-2019, 08:46 PM
I will commend you on one thing ..........the anger management classes have paid off ..........you`re demeanor has definitely improved ........but you still twist it up to support your butt hurting over things from the past .........sure are a lot of new members coming in .........WOW ! :p:p:p:lol::p:p:p:p

Thanks...I think?

It has come to my attention not too long ago, the reasons for your aggression and behavior. Not only to me and my family, but to others as well.

If the information I have is even slightly true than I have only one thing to say..

I really hope the best fortune for you and your family, and I truly mean that.

83ATC185
05-30-2019, 09:24 AM
I stay around here because while facebook connects everyone and has the potential to be a great asset to the trike community, it's usefulness is lost on the ones that don't appreciate them and it's either an object for them to brag about or a "rare vintage hard to find never see again $2000 beat to trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro 185" along with the people that would trip an old lady to beat someone else to buying it. This place has tons of useful information, and history that blows facebook out of the water.

90% of trike stuff i see on facebook is:

Kids seeing how hard they can wreck the old 200
People who have seen too many picker shows
"My 3 wheeler is better than your 3 wheeler"

I can trade the occasional thread turning to trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro for what this site provides. I don't have to keep up with it.

On facebook, i don't have any option but to wade through the swamp of bs to find what im looking for.

Maybe im looking in the wrong places on FB?

Billy Golightly
05-30-2019, 10:57 PM
so since everyone is here in this thread - what i'm hearing so far is ;

Remove the new member restriction (Just remember the classifieds will open back up to every Tom dick and harry also)
Condense forums (some could be done probably, not sure how I feel about doing a lot of that)
everyone tries to be nicer and more accommodating to new members

'My missing anything else?

El Camexican
05-31-2019, 01:02 AM
so since everyone is here in this thread - what i'm hearing so far is ;

Remove the new member restriction (Just remember the classifieds will open back up to every Tom dick and harry also)
Condense forums (some could be done probably, not sure how I feel about doing a lot of that)
everyone tries to be nicer and more accommodating to new members

'My missing anything else?

If possible might I suggest some sort of label for the new members for say the first 3 months? Maybe instead of Armchair Racer it says Member in Waiting or something of that nature, or the avatar is a yellow warning triangle by default that reminds people that these are newbies before they start wiring money.

Billy Golightly
05-31-2019, 06:36 AM
Oh brother.......might i possibly suggest you look at the post count ?.............Butt here comes the wacky new Maid............he`s not the Maid we wanted...............but he`s the Maid we got......:cry::p:p:p

I been the maid here almost 20 years brosef...lol

El Camexican
05-31-2019, 08:34 AM
Oh brother.......might i possibly suggest you look at the post count ?....

As in 3438 posts without a single build thread or useful bit of mechanical information? Just saying. :Bounce

There are people who have been on this site for over a decade and have less than 50 posts.

Shep1970
05-31-2019, 08:47 AM
As in 3438 posts without a single build thread or useful bit of mechanical information? Just saying. :Bounce

There are people who have been on this site for over a decade and have less than 50 posts.

Glamy’s just the comical relief, the site wouldn’t be the same without him....
Just gotta work on gettin’ Fabio back here.....:beer
Shep

El Camexican
05-31-2019, 09:13 AM
Just gotta work on gettin’ Fabio back here.....:beer
Shep

What's to work on? His ban was self imposed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pioagkX5k

Shep1970
05-31-2019, 10:18 AM
What's to work on? His ban was self imposed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pioagkX5k

Very true- I was just getting at he seemed to be the policeman around here when it came to guys getting shafted on money or parts owed. He seemed to do a lot behind the scenes to help in those situations.
You’ve gotta admit that even though you guys have your different opinion on things, or am I wrong.

Shep
Damn this keyboard is small.

El Camexican
05-31-2019, 12:30 PM
Very true- I was just getting at he seemed to be the policeman around here when it came to guys getting shafted on money or parts owed. He seemed to do a lot behind the scenes to help in those situations.
You’ve gotta admit that even though you guys have your different opinion on things, or am I wrong.

Shep
Damn this keyboard is small.

I enjoyed having John on the site, his attempts to right wrongs were noble and some of his posts were awesome, but not so much when he was telling people who engaged him on topics how stupid, or ignorant that they were when their beliefs differed from his. I think its safe to say he’s run off at least as many members as he’s attracted and the same can be said for a few of us on here myself included.

Good luck getting him to break his vow :beer

El Camexican
05-31-2019, 01:06 PM
Stupid according to who ............YOU of course !............and den you BLAH blah blah.........you`re attracted to yourself being yourself ...........blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ..........thats all ...step out.........

Yawn.... sorry Glamy, not going to engage you anymore today. Try to find some other way to pass your time. :beer

ps2fixer
05-31-2019, 03:28 PM
I don't call poking at someone trying to piss them off as comic relief, it's just someone trying to piss someone else off. Glamy's posts are hit and miss for making fun, and just flat out annoying/trying to poke someone's buttons. I've never seen a useful post yet, so I ignored the posts so I don't waste time reading them.

Anyway, I'd agree to mark new accounts in some way as a "trade with caution" type of thing. I've seen other sites more market oriented do similar and I think it works out fairly well. I think the time span is more like 1 month though for the site.

There's a feedback/rating plugin I've seen for vbull ages ago, ideally it would work well for keeping track of good vs bad trades, but then again I've never really seen it get used much when it was setup on sites. To go super crazy, the site could escrow the funds and treat it a little like ebay, seller has to give proof of tracking info, and buyer disputes have to show images of what they received etc. I'm sure most people would just do deals on the side and not keep super good records though unless it was like mandatory which I'm sure some people wouldn't like. Could skip the escrow stuff and just use the tracking info and such as proof of delivery if there's ever disputes with members. Any system can be abused, so it's hard to make a fool proof system. I don't think there's too many problems on here with scammers though.

Another option could be to keep the market section locked down till the users are 1 month old, just don't have dedicated post sections for them. Probably be more selling x thing in the main sections though from people trying to bypass things. Maybe keeping it wide open would help the section be a little more active, I've only bought on there, nothing that I can think of has sold there. I'm probably just selling the wrong stuff lol.

Something worth mentioning, sometimes the users don't know what they really want, as admin it's a hard job to know what exactly to do. I agree with most things though that you mentioned, just small tweaks maybe. I'm not sure how many mods there are, but opening things up to the public more might make more load for the staff. I suspect it's a fine line of keeping people happy and how much work it is to keep the site rolling smoothly. I try to do my part and report posts/threads when they should, like spam and such.

Red Rider
05-31-2019, 04:11 PM
I enjoyed having John on the site, his attempts to right wrongs were noble and some of his posts were awesome, but not so much when he was telling people who engaged him on topics how stupid, or ignorant that they were when their beliefs differed from his.I come to this 3ww forum to talk shop on 3 wheelers. While I do occasionally post in non-3 wheeler related threads, I usually avoid those threads, because I have no interest in talking politics, conspiracies, or aliens. And it seems to me, those that do want to talk about such subjects are usually pretty adamant that their view is the only logical view.

I remember being called a “sheeple”, or something along those lines, because I didn’t agree with the conspiracy theory outlook on 9/11. Do we therefore need to dump the open forum section to prevent future opinionated disagreements? :wondering If we removed the open forum, and made this a trike specific form, the only foreseeable disagreements we would have would then be trike related/brand specific. And we all agree that Honda is the best, so logically there would be no more disagreements, and the world would then be at peace. :cool:

Problem solved!

yaegerb
05-31-2019, 05:56 PM
And we all agree that Honda is the best, so logically there would be no more disagreements, and the world would then be at peace. :cool:

Problem solved!

Amen to that

El Camexican
05-31-2019, 06:22 PM
I come to this 3ww forum to talk shop on 3 wheelers. While I do occasionally post in non-3 wheeler related threads, I usually avoid those threads, because I have no interest in talking politics, conspiracies, or aliens. And it seems to me, those that do want to talk about such subjects are usually pretty adamant that their view is the only logical view.

I remember being called a “sheeple”, or something along those lines, because I didn’t agree with the conspiracy theory outlook on 9/11. Do we therefore need to dump the open forum section to prevent future opinionated disagreements? :wondering If we removed the open forum, and made this a trike specific form, the only foreseeable disagreements we would have would then be trike related/brand specific. And we all agree that Honda is the best, so logically there would be no more disagreements, and the world would then be at peace. :cool:

Problem solved!

Interesting.…

As much as I love the Open Forum and threads like “What are you doing today” ditching it that might be the key to saving the site. Separation of Church and State so to speak. With the exception of a few “my brand of oil is better than your brand” spats in Transylvania isn’t the Open Forum where most of our squabbles start? Some of the most interesting perspectives I’ve ever read are archived in there, but few are three wheeler related and many are controversial and at times its embarrassing to re-read some of what I've posted in there.

I assume Billy started the Fracas Establishment for us to take the gloves off and keep the Open Forum more PC, but it’s not like any of us ever left our issues in there, so what’s the point of it beside a lesser chance of getting banned for saying something stupid in the Open Forum?

Would hate to see either locked down, but if it helped direct the posts back to trikes and wrenching I wouldn’t cry over it.

barnett468
05-31-2019, 06:30 PM
And we all agree that Honda is the best, so logically there would be no more disagreements..

Yes, I completely agree, that due to its mild power delivery and semi baloon type tires, and extremely soft rear suspension which provides a "cushy" and "boaty", Cadillac type ride, it is by far the best recreational level 2 stroke 3 wheeler for those that are not looking for a far more high performance level type trike like The TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe! https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/thumbsup.gif

DAM shop
05-31-2019, 06:38 PM
Yes, I completely agree, that due to its mild power delivery and semi baloon type tires, and extremely soft rear suspension which provides a "cushy" and "boaty", Cadillac type ride, it is by far the best recreational level 2 stroke 3 wheeler for those that are not looking for a far more high performance level type trike like The TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe! https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/thumbsup.gif

I was waiting for you to set the record straight Barns :beer

Billy Golightly
05-31-2019, 07:15 PM
okay well heres the thing with nuking the open forum (fracas establishment can go away thats fine)

There is only so much stuff about trikes you can talk about before it is repetitious. and shallow.

Most of my best friendships from here were forged at trikefest shooting the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro about everything under the sun, and also back in the day in our old IRC chat channel that was rarely strictly trikes. It was trike related for sure and we all had that common interest but we talked automobiles, guns, women, politics, jobs, families, whatever. Everyone got comfortable enough talk about and share real life trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. I don't particularly want to lose that, because in my opinion there is a thinline between staying strictly threewheeler stuff and just posting a static page on a website with specifications and common problems with particular models and just calling it good. We're all kind of deeper and have other interests and things beyond trikes, although that is certainly a common interest that brings us together, I'd hate to lose the opportunity for people to get to make friends and know each other better...

DAM shop
05-31-2019, 07:44 PM
I agree Billy, I like the fact that we talk about other things besides trikes that's one thing that draws me in. Having trikes is the common thread that brings us together. . The bashing of fellow members needs to stop.
I have never met any of you in person but feel as if I have formed somewhat of an online friendship with some of you. With that being said I look forward to hearing what some of you are up to outside of trikes. I don't much care about aliens or conspiracies but I do care about projects some of you work on or road trips some of you take. Doing away with that will put most of the trike threads above my scope of useless knowledge.

ps2fixer
05-31-2019, 08:25 PM
I don't see a reason to can the open section of the site. I'm not there often, but I like to talk quads and such too sometimes. Never really noticed arguments going on in there, but some moderation could stop or slow that down. Maybe make it a rule if people want to argue over a subject, it take it to PMs? Healthy debate should be fine.

Barnett I think you have some glamy on your shoe. What happened to the engineering talk and high tech info based posts?

barnett468
05-31-2019, 10:21 PM
I was waiting for you to set the record straight Barns :beer

As usual...

https://www.veteranstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/01/lido_719.jpg

Oh boy...here he goes again!

http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/l/laughing/graphics-laughing-867787.gif

barnett468
05-31-2019, 10:45 PM
okay well heres the thing with nuking the open forum (fracas establishment can go away thats fine)

There is only so much stuff about trikes you can talk about before it is repetitious. and shallow.

Yes, deleting the open forum would be a huge mistake for many of the reasons you mentioned as well as a few others, but just deleting 1 or 2 other forums is pointless. The this vs that forum can go as well, and I see no significant benefit of the blogs or the list of posts that appear on the left side of the home page. Small changes will yield small results.

ironchop
05-31-2019, 11:44 PM
I don't know wtf I just read on the last two pages but WOW

Catching up, I like knowing what the other 'internet trikers' in here get up to in their private lives. Mine is currently work heavy and frustrating and I like seeing plastikos doctor go full Galt's Gulch all by himself. I like Open Forum.

Let's not forget that arguments were not exclusive to the open forum and I recall quite a few insult fests that spilled over until other unrelated threads.

Red Rider
06-01-2019, 04:13 AM
I don`t believe you were personally attacked with the word "sheeple" .....Nor did I say I was attacked. I was just relating one of my experiences, from when I wandered into a highly opinionated thread, and backing up (with a for instance) what El was talking about. And I never said the open forum should go away, just a little food for thought, and a tongue in cheek outcome if it did go away.

On a lighter note, I understood most of your post this time. That doesn't happen very often. Does this mean I've finally achieved a higher state of nirvana?
I'm albino, a mosquito, a libido...

Jd110
06-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Been wanting to say this: had I known, when I first joined, what this entire group has to offer, I wouldn’t have been a so abrasive at times. I’m sure it’s not for everyone but, I enjoy it.

Gabriel
06-01-2019, 12:13 PM
Yeah and all you do is try to make a living off this place............doing wires that anyone can do ...........i`ll bet you can`t feed your cat............you constantly promote your business on here "like" it`s you`re website.........you better be paying the owner some percent of what you make ..........you guys are splitting hairs and trying to create more work for Billy...........so ignore this post and don`t respond to it .........gamer !

What the heck is wrong with you dude? Cory is one of the nicest and most helpful members here. He's done NOTHING to justify being rude like that.
I've enjoyed a lot of your antics, I like to act silly too but 'Wires anyone can do"?? No, everyone CAN'T produce the quality he does. Have you seen his work first hand? Maybe YOU can do it. You may have a masters degree in electrical engineering from MIT for all I know. BUT, if you CAN do anything, it only proves how UN-helpful you really are. PS2Fixer has helped more people in a day than you have helped in the time I have been here. I joined here knowing absolutely NOTHING about wiring and because of him, I have a remedial grasp of things now. I've been here almost a year and have yet to read a single post of yours where you actually help someone solve a problem or get a trike going again. If I missed any such post in the last year, I'll be happy to apologize for that comment. I'm not too worried though.

I'm sure you'll have some well thought out snarky reply and it will only prove my point. You may have a small amount of comedic value but it's about the ONLY thing you've had to offer. ....That I've seen. Maybe I missed something. I doubt it.

ps2fixer
06-01-2019, 02:54 PM
Missed that post, only thing I have to say is thanks for demonstrating what I said glamy.

Mosh
06-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Yeah and all you do is try to make a living off this place............doing wires that anyone can do ...........i`ll bet you can`t feed your cat............you constantly promote your business on here "like" it`s you`re website.........you better be paying the owner some percent of what you make ..........you guys are splitting hairs and trying to create more work for Billy...........so ignore this post and don`t respond to it .........gamer !
See that is the problem right there..Look when you are funny, you are funny. When you just attack people like this, and you have done with my efforts for this sight, my wife's efforts for this site, all you do is drive people away. We got so burnt out on dealing with 1 negative guy, even when 1000 really appreciated what we did give, we just eventually said trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro it. Have you ever been to TF? I doubt you have. There is a donation table of gifts and prizes, given to Billy and the site for FREE..FOR MEMBERS to win and appreciate.
We used to give a lot IMO..Plastic sets, seats, shock covers, brake pads, 2 stroke oil, silencer packing etc..Everyone who has built or donated a raffle trike, Billy, the site, and members all profited from in one way or another. I have not been to TF lately, but I have heard that donations are not what they used to be..( Sorry Billy, correct me if I am wrong, and I mean no offense by that comment)..But damn...When DOHC dikes, you Glamy, and few others disrespected anything we tried to give, we said trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro it..It is not worth the bullshit..Even when 1000 people appreciated it..
What does it matter to you what people do to make a few dollars doing a hobby..Why do you feel like you need to piss all over people like that? Seriously, it does more damage than you think, when people act like that..I for one can not understand why that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro is tolerated...PERIOD

El Camexican
06-03-2019, 03:47 PM
I don't call poking at someone trying to piss them off as comic relief, it's just someone trying to piss someone else off. Glamy's posts are hit and miss for making fun, and just flat out annoying/trying to poke someone's buttons. I've never seen a useful post yet, so I ignored the posts so I don't waste time reading them.

........Cory (ps2fuckstic) out of the blue attacked me first !.......... :rolleyes:

ps2fixer
06-03-2019, 04:39 PM
Wow I offended glamy? I just called it as I saw it, you haven't pushed my buttons because you don't know which buttons get the response you want, but I've seen you poke at others and that's what I called out. You did the exact same thing back to me, you called me out for trying to sell parts on a site I don't own which is true. Truth can hurt, but there's one thing you can't dispute, truth is truth.

Red Rider
06-03-2019, 07:30 PM
And now that the Festivus season's airing of grievances is complete, let's move on to the feats of strength!

El Camexican
06-03-2019, 07:59 PM
And now that the Festivus season's airing of grievances is complete, let's move on to the feats of strength!

On it Dude!!!

DAM shop
06-03-2019, 08:03 PM
You mean strength like this?

Scootertrash
06-03-2019, 10:21 PM
I've watched this thread go down the crapper in exactly the way I knew it would. Certain members are as predictable as a clock.

Maybe someone in glamy's life (or glamy himself) has seen an increase in new "members" and that's why he hates the world, his life and himself. He wants everybody to be as miserable as he is.

Ya know what glamy, no matter how bad you think your life sucks, or how bad it sucks in reality (if that's the case), it doesn't give you the right to treat other people like sh!t.

Grow up, man up, and accept your life for what it is. You ain't gettin' another one.

ironchop
06-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Fly on , Albatross

https://youtu.be/rKPicUnsPPg

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

DAM shop
06-04-2019, 05:57 PM
I'll say it again, has anyone noticed a sudden increase in new members latley? I imagine from some of the post I've been reading many must be getting fed up with FB.

El Camexican
06-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Ohhhh Mr. Glamy, you just made the members go up.

DAM shop
06-04-2019, 08:02 PM
That was good

El Camexican
06-04-2019, 08:28 PM
That was good

It was hard not to go there. Maybe I’ll get a rise out of Richard?

DAM shop
06-04-2019, 08:55 PM
It was hard not to go there. Maybe I’ll get a rise out of Richard?

I reckon not he probably went limp.

El Camexican
06-04-2019, 09:23 PM
I reckon not he probably went limp.

10 years ago judging by his mood.

Scootertrash
06-05-2019, 07:33 AM
What a you get when you mix Damshop and a Elcamexican..............Taco Bell..........or Taco Johns .........is that Taco`s taking a sh!t ?............buwa buwa ha ha ha ha..........FA-Q !

What do you get when you add water to glamy?

A Massenglamy. Unfortunately there's no clean morning after freshness. You can rub it, scrub it, and anoint it well, but you'll never get rid of the cod fish smell..........:Bounce:Bounce:w00t::Bounce

Oooooohh,poor Massenglamy. Were you attacked? Did you feel like you were attacked? Do you feel better now? Do you need some
TP for your bunghole Cornholio?

Heheheh Heheheh hehhehheh

Dirtcrasher
06-05-2019, 12:41 PM
OOPS !.........i just did it again.........where`s all the hottie new riders at ............There thats better........thats the ticket !:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::Bou nce:naughty::naughty::naughty:

That chick on the left looks like a tranny....

Arky-X
06-05-2019, 01:37 PM

Not bad but I prefer hot cheerleader pics. They make the fans root harder.

Scootertrash
06-05-2019, 09:15 PM

Right up glamy's *cough* alley :naughty:

ironchop
06-06-2019, 10:00 AM
I'm all Seasick

https://youtu.be/S-vSZFEWHlo

keister
06-06-2019, 12:31 PM

Well she is riding a Yammi, so no surprise there.

El Camexican
06-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Well she is riding a Yammi, so no surprise there.

So are you saying it takes balls to ride a Yamaha?

Billy Golightly
06-11-2019, 08:39 PM
So I played around with the usergroup permissions and i believe I opened everything up *except* the classifieds, to newly registered members. That should hypothetically still function as everything was before, 60 days and 10 posts before the classifieds open up. But Trikesylvania, the other areas, and everything else previously off limits to posting to new members, should now be open and working.

Billy Golightly
09-30-2019, 11:04 AM
I'm kinda re investigating XenForo again. I don't know if it is suitable to make a transition to or not now.

In in the interim, I will ask, does everyone still prefer a "light" colored theme like this (White/gray) or is there anyone that would like to oldshool black/green kinda darker background based theme?

Outlaw #24
09-30-2019, 12:29 PM
As long as it is still here is all that matters to me! Thanks for asking!

ironchop
09-30-2019, 01:00 PM
As long as it is still here is all that matters to me! Thanks for asking!What he said

plastikosmd
09-30-2019, 01:54 PM
Agree with above
Thank u

Dr. 250R
09-30-2019, 01:55 PM
As long as it is still here is all that matters to me! Thanks for asking!

What he said

+1

.... and for the record, that 2 month newbie wait on the classifieds section is killing me! lol

ps2fixer
09-30-2019, 03:21 PM
I suspect as long as the migration is pretty seamless no one would really care what software the site runs on. I'd say it's pretty critical to push the posts/threads to the new system so the built in search engine can still be used for old topics, instead of having an archived site up to double up maintenance for you, and be more work for the end users to find info (most would only search the active site).

I suspect the passwords would have to be reset unless you did some custom coding on the login php code. I'm pretty sure xenforo supports adding different hash algros in so the old passwords can work for the old accounts and auto upgrade to the xenforo default algro. If you don't mind a little extra CPU for added password security, it would be perfect time to upgrade to bcrypt/blowfish.

Here's an example of public database leaks that have been publically cracked to compare how much more success they have on vbull hashes.

https://hashes.org/leaks.php?id=3242

vs bcrypt

https://hashes.org/leaks.php?id=2805

I've seen bcrypt dbs upto 25% cracked, and vbull sites over 95%. Either case good look looking into the software/migration.

DAM shop
09-30-2019, 05:52 PM
No preference either way

Scootertrash
09-30-2019, 06:11 PM
What everybody else said....:beer:cool:

Billy Golightly
09-30-2019, 07:00 PM
I suspect as long as the migration is pretty seamless no one would really care what software the site runs on. I'd say it's pretty critical to push the posts/threads to the new system so the built in search engine can still be used for old topics, instead of having an archived site up to double up maintenance for you, and be more work for the end users to find info (most would only search the active site).

I suspect the passwords would have to be reset unless you did some custom coding on the login php code. I'm pretty sure xenforo supports adding different hash algros in so the old passwords can work for the old accounts and auto upgrade to the xenforo default algro. If you don't mind a little extra CPU for added password security, it would be perfect time to upgrade to bcrypt/blowfish.

Here's an example of public database leaks that have been publically cracked to compare how much more success they have on vbull hashes.

https://hashes.org/leaks.php?id=3242

vs bcrypt

https://hashes.org/leaks.php?id=2805

I've seen bcrypt dbs upto 25% cracked, and vbull sites over 95%. Either case good look looking into the software/migration.

Seamless is the only way I'll do it. There won't be any archive or anything like that.

DAM shop
09-30-2019, 08:17 PM
Man, it's a good thing you two understand each other. Almost sounded like Glamy talking there for a minute.

Billy Golightly
09-30-2019, 08:58 PM
I'm surprised and happy to see all the relatively quick replies here by everyone - thank you for the feedback :)

Red Rider
09-30-2019, 09:39 PM
No preference here either.

ps2fixer
10-01-2019, 12:44 AM
Man, it's a good thing you two understand each other. Almost sounded like Glamy talking there for a minute.

Haha, yea I kind of targeted my reply more directly to Billy so got into the tech lingo a bit xD. Simple take way, better hashes = passwords are protected better from hackers if they got into the database. Software on it's own doesn't do a whole lot, it's just what we see when we use the site.

Mosh
10-01-2019, 11:07 AM
I really liked the old black and green thing before the update..but I am and old dog too

HairyJR
10-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Don't care what color as long as the site stays up, my day starts with 3ww fix every day.

"HJ" 260126 :beer

Shep1970
10-01-2019, 11:53 AM
I think the only time the darker black/green screen would be good is going to bed at night, so the wife wouldn’t roll over and say “turn the brightness down on your phone I’m trying to sleep....”
It’s all good whatever you decided to do either way...

Shep

ps2fixer
10-01-2019, 01:10 PM
Here's an idea, why not both? I'm not sure how xenforo handles templates, but I know it's pretty simple in Vbull to switch. Like we have the option for the vbull default template on the bottom left of the screen.

Could get fancy and use some javascript and change some of the css settings and use cookies to store the settings per user and just have a dark/light button somewhere along the top of the screen. The black/green is more retro like the monitors that were black background with green text which I assume was the style/goal. For some the high contrast like that might hurt their eyes, atleast people claim that, I can see both templates just fine though.