PDA

View Full Version : for all you redneck guys out there...

TeCaTe_MaN
02-18-2004, 07:57 PM
i found this on a different forum, and i thought you might enjoy it

Hi,
My name is Skreap. My computer is 5 years old and has to last me another 2 years (I am poor). The fan mounted on my videocard broke and I spent a lot of money on it. It's a GeForce3 ti200 that I bought with every penny I could scrape up. It was also 2 years old at the time, so there was no warrante to speak of.

My poor ass solution? Buy a cheap fan and mount it near the card. Sounds simple enough, only the fan that I bought didn't fit my case - it was just a few mm too big. Since I couldn't afford to buy a smaller one (YES I HAVE THAT LITTLE MONEY), and there was no way I was going to let my card die, I desided to take drastic action: MAKE a hole.

Now, my case is SOLID FXKING STEEL, and I have **ZERO** powertools to work with. All I had was a screwdriver I found, a nail file, and a lot of duct tape.

So I took the screwdriver and BEAT THE LIVING SHTI out of the case for FIVE F'N HOURS. Yes, and entire afternoon of the oh-so-plesant sound of metal being slammed up against metal in an acustic-rich dormatory. After all my hard work, I had a warped case with a dime-sized hole in it.

That's when the screwdriver broke.

So, determined to finish what I had started, I turned to the nail file. YES, THAT'S RIGHT - BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 8:00PM TO 1:30AM (while you were out spending your "money" with your friends on a Friday) I was in my dorm room USING A NAIL FILE to cut a hole through my case. I successfully carved an 'L" into my case. I then got a knock on my door. My roommate.

I told him how wonderful my Friday had been, and he told me I could borrow his power screwdriver if I promised not to break it. Being the recourseful person that I am, I used the screwdriver and one of his screws to slowly PERFORATE the side of my case. That's right - I made a series of 5mm holes, each 1/6 of an inch appart from one another, and then stomped on the case until the square piece of steel broke off.

I was about to celebrate when I realized - oh goody! - THE DAM HOLE WAS TOO SMALL FOR THE FAN. But that's not all folks!! I also didn't realize that I had bent my case so much that if I tried to mount the fan on the inside of the case, it would grind up against the card. YAY!!

So, still full of piss & vinegar, I drilled 2 more holes into my case so that I could mount the fan on the outside. (unsafe and dirty and ugly and every other bad adjective I can think of, but EFFECTIVE!). But the holes were only the right size for a certain size of screw (they were too large for the plastic clips the fan came with). And, as luck would have it, the only screws that I had that would stay put in the hole, we're sharp enough to perform open-heart surgery with, and 2 1/2 inches long.

So I had to put the screws in with the butt-rapingly sharp ends sticking out, and let the fan loosely dangle from them. Don't belive me? Well I got your picture proof right here!

http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~akelly/DJSkReaP...alled%20fan.jpg

and here:
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~akelly/DJSkReaP...alled%20fan.jpg

But don't think this epic saga is over yet! I may be poor, but I'm demanding. Since hole was kinda off-target, the air wouldn't hit the videocard as directly as I had intended. But, damn it, if I've come this far I can't give up now.

I wanted to somehow chill the air around my computer. It was the middle of spring and I don't think room temperature air blowing sorta-kinda near the fan was going to preserve it, so I wanted to make the fan blow in COOL air....

I saw the amount of duct tape I had availible to me, and I immediately had an idea. Can you guess what kind of idea DUCT tape would give me? huh? DUCT tape?....DUCT....tape....

Yes, I was going to build a cold-air duct to this ghetto fan of mine. But that would require money...OR WOULD IT. I immediately ran outside and starting digging through the dormatory's recycling bin. I grabbed every 20oz bottle I could get my hands on, took them back to the room and rinsed them out.

It was 2:45. I was ready to build a duct. I took my trusy pocket knife out and began to cut the tops and bottoms off of every bottle, leaving only their perfectly cyndrilacle...erm...cyndryl...cindry....um.... Leaving only theie perfectly tube-like cores. I then duct taped them all together, end to end, until I had a 6-foot long plastic duct. I built 2 elbow pieces cleverly using the curved tops of the bottles, and then 2 more ducts of appropriate size.

2.5 hours later, my room was filled with shards of plastic bottles and the fresh smell of environmentally-hazardous adhesive. I wrapped an ozarka water bottle around the fan, and began to amass my hellish creation.

fan to ozarka.
ozarka to small tube.
small tube to upwards elbow.
upwards elbow to medium tube.
medium tube to outwards elbow.
outwards elbow to large tube.
large tube to plastic grocery bag.
grocery bag to A/C vent.

It was done. I had created a syphon of cold air. Cold air would fill the plastic bag and pressure would build. The fan on the side of my case would spin violently. Since the duct was air tight, the fan would suck air out of the plastic bag like a drink through a straw. Cold, filtered, frat-puke smelling air was now being blasted onto my videocard. Cold air seeped out of the cracks of the computer. The temperature gauge on my processor now idled at 5 degress less than usual.

My creation was a success!
Don't beleive me about the duct?

Fan going up:
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~akelly/DJSkReaP...ystem%20004.jpg
and up:
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~akelly/DJSkReaP...ystem%20003.jpg
and over:
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~akelly/DJSkReaP...ystem%20002.jpg
and into the A/C:
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~akelly/DJSkReaP...ystem%20001.jpg

Now **THAT**, my "money" holding friends, is a MOD!

Honda125m1984
02-18-2004, 08:01 PM
i cant get any of the links to work

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-18-2004, 08:51 PM
me either! :?:

TeCaTe_MaN
02-18-2004, 09:07 PM
hmmmmmm...well ill post the link to the page i got it from...they work on there, it's my clanserver but it wasnt origionally from there...

http://www.clandh.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=621

there...link to there and look at the pics off that page...they work there...

Honda125m1984
02-18-2004, 10:56 PM
ha ha, that is so redneck, I am proud

TrikeKid
02-20-2004, 12:29 PM
thats not redneck thats retarded. the moron should save some money or get his sorry trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro a job

chuck
02-24-2004, 02:00 PM
he couldnt be that poor he had a cell phone case there so i assume he has a cell phone.

84250r
02-24-2004, 02:25 PM
he couldnt be that poor he had a cell phone case there so i assume he has a cell phone.

That may be true but you can have cell phones with prepaid plans! :D

olderthandirt
02-24-2004, 06:28 PM
:?: is his dorm at college?
:shock: i would think his computer would never work again with all the beating and banging it took.
maybe he's a bullsh!tter ,who knows for sure.
still,if it's true,then he gets an A+ for persistence. :rolleyes:

ste-pel
02-24-2004, 11:24 PM
gees i got a small fan from my local computer shoop to put on my paint ball mask for free

dz
02-25-2004, 12:08 AM
That poor, poor computer. That is extremely ghetto, not even something that I would do. Even if it was a pre-paid phone it had to be paid for in some point in time. Get a job.

Crash104936221
02-25-2004, 01:12 AM
man imagin walking in to you room and seeing that hanigin from the walls lmao

although he get the award for being creative

Joe