PDA

View Full Version : got a new truck last week(53 ford)

thornton
06-16-2019, 09:06 AM
i recently purchased a 53 ford pickup, its all chevy underneath has 283sbc w/700r4 very fun to cruise. lets see your old truck picks

barnett468
06-16-2019, 10:24 AM
i recently purchased a 53 ford pickup...

xlnt.

...its all chevy underneath...

That's unfortunate.

big specht
06-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Lol body looks good. You need to scrap the drive train

knappyfeet
06-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Chevy cruck.

Scootertrash
06-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Well, I don't own an old truck at the present time.

However, back in my younger years I used to impress the ladies with my charcoal drawings of vintage Ford F-150s...........

I was a pick up artist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObpcGNCU944

El Camexican
06-18-2019, 02:12 AM
Not mine, but I did get the last look at it before my cuz sold a couple years back. I'm the geeky 16 year old that painted it a zillion years ago at minute 1:49. Made him promise he offer it to me first, but I didn't have the room, or the time it deserved when he was ready to sell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYeuTS7tgA

I did end up with a black Chevy eventually, and mine has much needed a/c :D

sledcrazyinCT
06-18-2019, 11:38 AM
Nice truck you found Thornton! They offer plenty of aftermarket parts to make it all Ford drive train if the 283 is not enough for you.

barnett468
06-18-2019, 12:01 PM
Nice truck you found Thornton! They offer plenty of aftermarket parts to make it all Ford drive train if the 283 is not enough for you.

.................:lol:

barnett468
06-18-2019, 12:16 PM
Not mine, but I did get the last look at it before my cuz sold a couple years back. I'm the geeky 16 year old that painted it a zillion years ago at minute 1:49. Made him promise he offer it to me first, but I didn't have the room, or the time it deserved when he was ready to sell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYeuTS7tgA

I did end up with a black Chevy eventually, and mine has much needed a/c :D

Nice pants, fortunately there are no photos of me with my corduroy bell bottoms and fringed suede leather boots and jacket...but there is one of me with my turtle neck sweater that I will have to burn now that I think about it.

x-rider
07-07-2019, 01:18 AM
Nice ride.

thornton
07-07-2019, 08:27 AM
i redid the bed last weekend and new custom exhaust and rear shocks. it rides and sounds a lot better than when i first drove it!!

ironchop
07-07-2019, 09:55 AM
I like everything in that whole driveway

F100 bed looks fantastic! Nice work

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

coolpool
07-12-2019, 10:35 AM
Very nice work, that wood pops out for sure! I agree with iron, nice stable :-). Here's my 52 Ford. Yep you read correctly, Ford Canada assembled 2135 of these based on Willys stampings for the Canadian Military in 52.

barnett468
07-12-2019, 10:59 AM
i redid the bed last weekend and new custom exhaust and rear shocks. it rides and sounds a lot better than when i first drove it!!

That's nice to hear, so now when are you going to put the right engine in it?

thornton
07-13-2019, 07:49 AM
well what do u consider the right engine? i would stick to chevy probally would go with a 400sbc but normally i go big block but dont think the old ford could handle it lol and dont like ford motors or ford in general

El Camexican
07-13-2019, 08:32 AM
well what do u consider the right engine?

I’m pretty sure he’s referring to a Tecate engine, the worlds most...., well, you know.

barnett468
07-13-2019, 11:17 AM
well what do u consider the right engine?

Well...um...since it is a FORD truck, then perhaps a FORD engine.:idea:

i would stick to chevy probally would go with a 400sbc but normally i go big block but dont think the old ford could handle it lol

no, the stock drive train, won't handle big power from any brand of engine, but you don't need a big block for big hp, all you need is a 351 FORD windsor, and even a built FORD 6 cylinder will make more power than any 400 ci chevy can. :)

[QUOTE=thornton;1499030]dont like ford motors

You don't like reliabilliy, big hp, and engines that don't leak oil like the exxon valdez? :confused:

or ford in general

Then you could just pull the chevy engine out and buy a chevy truck to put it in. :lol:

83ATC185
07-15-2019, 01:10 PM
You don't like reliabilliy, big hp, and engines that don't leak oil like the exxon valdez? :confused:

Ford made a truck, it leaks, the end.

Gabriel
07-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Part of me still gets bent outta whack about engine swaps with the wrong name on them...I always liked Ford and disliked (but not hated) Chevy. Sad truth, dollar for dollar GM will whip a Ford every single time. Fords can and will run as good as ANY chevy.....but not for the money.

....Now....Had I the money and the intelligence to do so....I would like to have a really nice '70 Camaro Z28 with a 5.7 liter engine. Just not the Chevy 5.7. A Tundra engine with the BS removed and re-tuned. Those engines are stout and I'd like to have something like that just to piss everyone off. LOL!!

barnett468
07-15-2019, 04:37 PM
Part of me still gets bent outta whack about engine swaps with the wrong name on them...I always liked Ford and disliked (but not hated) Chevy. Sad truth, dollar for dollar GM will whip a Ford every single time. Fords can and will run as good as ANY chevy.....but not for the money.

Hey wait a minute, nobody asked how much more it would cost to make a ford go fast. :lol:

Actually, these days it costs basically the same amount due to the chinese parts that are now available for both brands, but back in the day, it did cost a bit more to make a ford go fast than it did a chevy.

....Now....Had I the money and the intelligence to do so....I would like to have a really nice '70 Camaro Z28 with a 5.7 liter engine.

I for one see nothing intelligent about taking a rare vintage muscle car and yanking the original engine out of it and replacing it with a late model one. It would be far more intelligent to buy a standard 70 camaro and do it to that then simply stick the z28 emblems on it if you want.

Just not the Chevy 5.7. A Tundra engine with the BS removed and re-tuned. Those engines are stout and I'd like to have something like that just to piss everyone off. LOL!!

Well I don't know if putting a Tundra engine in one would piss people off as much as it would make them laugh their ass off.

barnett468
07-15-2019, 04:42 PM
Ford made a truck,

Yup, and it was the best truck ever made. :lock:

...it leaks,

Only if you don't know how to change a valve cover gasket. :rolleyes:

...the end.

Thank goodness cuz I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to stop laughing. :lol:

Gabriel
07-15-2019, 05:36 PM
I for one see nothing intelligent about taking a rare vintage muscle car and yanking the original engine out of it and replacing it with a late model one. It would be far more intelligent to buy a standard 70 camaro and do it to that then simply stick the z28 emblems on it if you want.

It's called Resto-mod and it's THE thing to do if you can afford it and know how. There is no engine built back in the day that will touch these late model engines. The small block chevy ruled the roost for many moons and rightfully so but the LS engines have all but put the old gal in her grave.

They don't build them like they used to......THANK GOD! The only thing old cars have to offer is aesthetics. Modern car builders fail miserably at making a car LOOK as good as it runs. Ain't nothing Ford built in the last 40 odd years as gorgeous as 66 Fairlane. ....and the old 390 was a beast. ...and when it's gassed and ready for a rebuild one of these late model coyote motors will still be going.

One of the coolest cars I've seen in a LONG time was that Superbird they built on Graveyard Cars with the Hellcat running gear in it. The old Hemi is nothing comapared to that thing.

barnett468
07-15-2019, 06:09 PM
It's called Resto-mod and it's THE thing to do if you can afford it and know how.

I know all about resto mods because vintage cars have been my business for over 40 years, and most people are smart enough not to butcher up rare original cars to do it to, although there are exceptions to every rule, lol.

There is no engine built back in the day that will touch these late model engines.

That's not the point.

The small block chevy ruled the roost for many moons and rightfully so

And that's why a Ford with a 289 won several races and some championships in 65 and 66. :rolleyes:

...but the LS engines have all but put the old gal in her grave.

Thank God and good riddance since they ran like they were nearly dead from the beginning. :lol:

They don't build them like they used to......THANK GOD!

Well you at least got 1 thing right about chevys!

The only thing old cars have to offer is aesthetics.

ummmm...nope, they can offer enormous investment potential also providing they are not butchered up and turned into a 700 hp drag car that never goes faster than 60 mph or revs father than 5,000 rpm unless it is on a dyno at a classic car show. :lol:

Ain't nothing Ford built in the last 40 odd years as gorgeous as 66 Fairlane.

ummm...you need to check your math again cuz a 66 Fairlane is 49 years old. :rolleyes:

....and the old 390 was a beast.

Yeah, as in boat anchor unless it had CJ heads or similar back in the day.

...and when it's gassed and ready for a rebuild one of these late model coyote motors will still be going.

And it will still be a next to worthless $300.00 core engine. :cool:

barnett468
07-15-2019, 06:42 PM
we`ve got a 5.7 tundra long bed that will peel your face skin back.......forskin too !

Even if one has been circumcised?

...........i can`t believe the po - po uses Dogg Challengers and Fart SUV`S

That's mostly cuz they are cheap and they discontinued high speed pursuits in California.

...........and they will all be sold by ..........BARNS .........

Yup, and I'm looking to buy some more this weekend! :lol:

"Go see Barns, Go see Barns, Go see Barns" :Bounce

............http://www.losanjealous.com/img/calworthington.jpg

Gabriel
07-15-2019, 07:00 PM
Ha!
Awww Barney, you’re a riot!

I'll argue with just about anyone on the 390 too. My first vehicle was a 78 F100, 6 clylinder. Spun a bunch of bearings about 6 months into it...stupid kid. My old man built a 390 and stuck it in there. It was a monster. A 390 with a 428 bore makes a 406. 292 solid lift. 10.5:1, headers, edelbrock intake and a Holley.....it was hellforstout. Maybe not a race motor but it had no issues decimating every tire I could afford to put on it.

Hey, all BS and jokes aside, I was watching Barret Jackson the other night. Either a 70 or 71 Hemi cuda, don't remember...don't matter. Vinyl hard top with a sunroof. Apparently only 13 ever left the factory in that configuration.....closing bid... 1.2 Million! For a fackin' Plymouth. Good lord!

barnett468
07-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Ha!
Awww Barney, you’re a riot!

Couldn't help myself, lol.

I'll argue with just about anyone on the 390 too. My first vehicle was a 78 F100, 6 clylinder. Spun a bunch of bearings about 6 months into it...stupid kid. My old man built a 390 and stuck it in there. It was a monster. A 390 with a 428 bore makes a 406. 292 solid lift. 10.5:1, headers, edelbrock intake and a Holley.....it was hellforstout. Maybe not a race motor but it had no issues decimating every tire I could afford to put on it.

It would have had around 50 more hp with cj heads or similar. Back in those days kids always used to think their slow vehicles were fast if they burned rubber and made a lot of noise, but fortunately I learned the difference a very long time ago, and learned a lot more since in the over 40 years that I have been doing this, plus I have built a lot of 390's.

Hey, all BS and jokes aside, I was watching Barret Jackson the other night. Either a 70 or 71 Hemi cuda, don't remember...don't matter. Vinyl hard top with a sunroof. Apparently only 13 ever left the factory in that configuration.....closing bid... 1.2 Million! For a fackin' Plymouth. Good lord!

Yeah, thank god for rich people, HOWEVER, I know Craig Jackson and am familiar with some "unusual" things that have occurred there over the years, and what you see at any auction may or may not always be what it seems.

If I still had just the top 5 rarest cars I ever owned, I would be a multi millionaire.

barnett468
07-15-2019, 07:32 PM
YET ANOTHER POST CORRECTION POST CUZ I AINT GOTS NO EDIT BUTTUN. :lol:

"If I still had just the top 5 rarest cars I ever owned, I would be a multi millionaire."

Should read:

"If I still had just the top 5 rarest cars I ever owned, I would be a multi millionaire if I sold them all now.

El Camexican
07-15-2019, 07:41 PM
YET ANOTHER POST CORRECTION POST CUZ I AINT GOTS NO EDIT BUTTUN. :lol:

"If I still had just the top 5 rarest cars I ever owned, I would be a multi millionaire."

Should read:

"If I still had just the top 5 rarest cars I ever owned, I would be a multi millionaire if I sold them all now.

And if my aunt had balls.... well, you know.

barnett468
07-15-2019, 07:59 PM
And if my aunt had balls.... well, you know.

Yup, can't dwell on the past and I don't, but my point was for Gabriel in that there is more than just aesthetic value to an old rare car that has not been butchered for a "pro touring" ride.

El Camexican
07-15-2019, 09:37 PM
Yup, can't dwell on the past and I don't, but my point was for Gabriel in that there is more than just aesthetic value to an old rare car that has not been butchered for a "pro touring" ride.

If at any point you’re referring to putting bandaids on 22” rims and bolting them to a 60’s muscle car I couldn’t agree more.

barnett468
07-15-2019, 09:48 PM
If at any point you’re referring to putting bandaids on 22” rims and bolting them to a 60’s muscle car I couldn’t agree more.

Yup, that too.

https://enthusiastnetwork.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/sites/5/2014/01/1969-chevrolet-pro-touring-camaro-front-hood-left.jpg?impolicy=modalgallerygrid

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/K6zPb/s1/this-1968-camaro-rs-is-both-the-beauty-and-the-beast.jpg

El Camexican
07-15-2019, 10:43 PM
I’ll take a set of Mccreary’s on 15” rims out back and some 4” wide tires up front over that setup any day.

barnett468
07-15-2019, 11:54 PM
I’ll take a set of Mccreary’s on 15” rims out back and some 4” wide tires up front over that setup any day.

Unfortunately, people with good taste like you have seem to be few and far between these days.

Ok, now it's time to duck for incoming! https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/embarassed.gif

El Camexican
07-16-2019, 12:47 AM
Unfortunately, people with good taste like you have seem to be few and far between these days.

Still lots of us fat bouncy rear tire loving folks out there, but most of us lack the Benjamins needed to express our old school tastes.

thornton
07-26-2019, 06:31 AM
i been thinking about painting the truck but first i wanted to try giving it a little patina. i think it turn out pretty good and it was less than $50 for all my supplies let me know what u think

Jd110
07-26-2019, 09:36 AM
‘49 w/ a 292
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190726/c22754f49e128f385dc08c996587159c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190726/18db8d63d6449694802dd94d0023512b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190726/f98010177017675f7c5bcff088bf667d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thornton
08-06-2019, 06:38 AM
went to a car show on saturday and got a trophy for 1st place best truck. got ton of complements on the new look and even a few people asked me if i would be interested in doing there cars lol

Dirtcrasher
08-07-2019, 03:58 PM
Holy crap! It has the ultra rare anti gravity option installed too!!

How do you beat that Barnster??!!

OAN - There's a 50's/60's GMC 4x4 truck in town and it's been sitting awhile, but the body is solid and the steel sure isn't thin.

Hoping I can grab it at some point....

thornton
08-27-2019, 06:40 AM
went to another car show and got 3 more trophy's i took 2nd place best custom ride and 2nd place best truck for my ford and got 1st place best daily driver for my chevelle. was a good day didnt think id get any trophy's there was a lot of nice rides!!

MrConcdid
11-28-2019, 12:33 AM
I have a 53 chevy, I like Ford in a ford/mercury or in my case a Cadillac 472 in my chevy 210.
I'm sure there would be a revolt if someone put a suzuki engine in a Honda 250r.
Nice looking truck. I wouldn't change the drive train unless it was broken, it's a lot of work for a little gain.
New drive shaft, trans mount, shifter linkage, motor mounts, radiator, hoses, power steering adaptors, wiring, just to name the obvious.
Mrc.

thornton
11-28-2019, 09:37 AM
ya im probally not going to mess with the drivetrain much unless it needs it, its a nice running/riding truck the way it is. about the only thing im going to do to it now is upgrade the wiring a bit, its kinda of a mess but works and i want to find the correct seat for it