PDA

View Full Version : Shifting issues - Honda ATC 185-S

jburrows78654
07-23-2019, 01:18 PM
I had some work done on my 1981 Honda ATC 185-S. Now it is like the clutch works in reverse. When you step on the shifter it "slams" into gear; but then, as you slowly release the shifter you can feel the clutch engaging. I assume something is put in backwards, but not sure where to start. Hopefully I can do this myself - if someone can tell me where to start.

Thanks,
James

Gabriel
07-23-2019, 02:12 PM
When's the last time you adjusted the clutches?
Did the "WORK" you had done involve the person adjusting the clutches?

It's very easy to adjust them but also very easy to do it wrong.

shortline10
07-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Sounds like the one way clutch bearing was installed backwards or improperly.
Part number 14 in the pictures

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1981/atc185s-a/one-way-clutch

Gabriel
07-23-2019, 03:24 PM
Not saying that's not possible. I'm sure it is, but I just had that part from a 200S in my hand not three days ago, as that's the bottom end I am currently building. There's a flange on the bearing cage that prevents that. At least the one I had. Not knowing the differences in every single year, that's still very possible I suppose.

peter250r
03-13-2023, 08:28 AM
i have this same problem. a few years ago i replaced all friction parts in both clutches. now i have the above, original post's problem. i suppoes ill inspect the centrifugal clutch to make sure its all in order...

TRIPOD guy
03-15-2023, 12:36 AM
You should have some free play on shifter. If clutch is adjusted wrong you'll have no free play on shifter. Adjusted the clutch on a 83 185s that was doing the same thing the shifter had no movement.Its real easy to do if it's not something else.

peter250r
03-16-2023, 08:06 AM
i have this same problem. a few years ago i replaced all friction parts in both clutches. now i have the above, original post's problem. i suppoes ill inspect the centrifugal clutch to make sure its all in order...

just took the certrifical clutch apart....the sprag bearing/one-way bearing was worn and had jammed. got a new one coming.........