PDA

View Full Version : Loose shifter on a 1983 YTM 200K

BKujak
08-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Been looking high and low for the bushings that are missing on the shift pedal assembly to "tighten" things up. currently is very loose. No issue in shifting gears but lots of movement in the pedal is driving me nuts. Anyone advise on sizing and or where I should be looking to find these?

El Camexican
08-12-2019, 06:58 PM
Been looking high and low for the bushings that are missing on the shift pedal assembly to "tighten" things up. currently is very loose. No issue in shifting gears but lots of movement in the pedal is driving me nuts. Anyone advise on sizing and or where I should be looking to find these?

Welcome to the site. In the future you'll want to post questions like this in the Trikesylvania Forum, just an FYI.

So as the proud owner of one of these beasts for the past 36 years I can assure you that the shifter set-up sucked from day one and that it's design causes it to get progressively worse as time goes on because there never was a bushing on the shaft/pin, it was just metal to metal with a coating of grease that never stood a chance to last in there.

Assuming that yours is wore like mine, neither the shaft, or the shifter are round anymore, so a thin bushing is probably out of the question. What I did with mine was remove the entire foot peg assembly, cut out the shaft and welded in a new one I got on eBay and also put some spot welds on it to make up for the wear in the shifter hole and then ground the welds down little by little until the shifter fit over it. It's not a perfect fit as that assembly needed a lot of play in order to function in the first place, but its a big improvement.

If you really want to do it right, have the shifter hole bored just enough to get it round and make a new pin that you would weld in that's small enough to allow for a thin brass collar to act as a bushing and install a grease nipple on the shifter.

If you want to do it cheap, try my spot welding fix and hopefully it will be better.