PDA

View Full Version : Want to juice up my 5.0 302 help

dz
02-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Hello. I have a car I have been customizing. I don't want to do too much engine work right now, so for starters I am definitly getting a straight through dual exhaust. I was also thinkng about getting a 70mm throttle body and possibly a trickflow or similiar upper intake w/manifold. The car is a 1988 grand marquis so the engine is very comparable to a 5.0 mustangs without the HO (high output). I was thinking about an under drive pully kit but since I have electronics I really wouldn't want to under drive my alternator. Any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Name Brand
02-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Do consider an aftermarket set of exhuast headers.
It's an easy way to gain a little more horsepower.

nate b
02-19-2004, 11:00 PM
nitrous

TRI-Zbrian
02-19-2004, 11:02 PM
lol my 5.0 (305) TPI (tuned port injection) IROC-Z will blow your doors in... any way if i were you id get a high flow exaust, maybe some type of a ram air set up if you dont already have one, then id look into headers, then down the raod maybe think about a cam upgrade and a head job.

IneedAnATV
02-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Sorry to get off topic here, but do you really think that was needed TRI-Zbrian? The guy needs some help, not bashing. IMHO some of your posts are pointless. Time to grow up. Just my 2cents. Let us know how your gains are dz. Good luck, you are on the right path!

88 Turbo Coupe
02-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Get tuned headers 3 inch collectors. and get thick wall pipe if you plan on keeping it. Also you will need a crossover pipe for balanced back pressure. The headers will make a huge difference in the low end torque. Dont worry about inspection. I dont.

J.D.
02-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Supercharger!!!!!!!!! Turbocharger!!!!!!!! H/C/I(heads cam and intake).

I think they'll run you up about 1500 a piece, a supercharger is probably most effective.

Mobular
02-20-2004, 01:44 AM
The first 3 most cost effective mods are exhaust, chip and a nitrous system. After that, a good cam, and some serious head work will do wonders. It's amazing what a good set of heads will do to wake up your machine. Overall, don't go overboard on any one thing. Build it all as a system, make it reliable, and remember that it still has to be driven on the street.

Crash104936221
02-20-2004, 01:48 AM
Sorry to get off topic here, but do you really think that was needed TRI-Zbrian? The guy needs some help, not bashing. IMHO some of your posts are pointless. Time to grow up. Just my 2cents. Let us know how your gains are dz. Good luck, you are on the right path!

I agree that Tri-Z has got the crap flowing ALOT!!

as for power and mods to the GM (Grand Marquie not them crap box general motors things) head on over to CVN (http://www.crownvic.net) there are a few guys there that know there stuff about the boxes (CV/GM 79-91 model years)

when you do your exhaust get a H pipe or a X pipe to gaina little extra from the setup. you may not be able to run some stang parts becuse of hood clearance so make sure to double check before you buy

anyways lots of info on CVN do a search and have read on what others have had the best luck with

Joe

200x Basket
02-20-2004, 04:32 AM
lol my 5.0 (305) TPI (tuned port injection) IROC-Z will blow your doors in... .

i will take that bet :twisted: and kill that heavy slow turd with my 5.0 stang.

Kilborg
02-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Oh jesus, lets get into an argument about who is less of a man and doesnt blow as much money on a car. "OH YEAH?! WELL MY UNCLES CORVETTE RUNS FLAT 8's!!!" Whatever.

The question for the grand marquis is, how far do you want to go?

It's a grand marquis. Bolt some sutff on, get it running a bit better, then leave it. This is a cruiser car...unless you have intent on drag racing the piss out of it, leave it fairly stock. Just pick up some good stuff you can do on the weekend that only take a few hours. Intake, headers, exhaust, other minor boltons. The car will run a bit better...Don't expect a racecar though. Between a good combination of true boltons you do, you should be able to get it running a bit better then your average 305 HO, 302 ho, 307 ho, etc... It would probably run on par with some of the 350's and 351's that are stock or very lightly modified. Oh yeah, I own stuff from many camps (Honda, ford, gm, parents got yotas)

Oh, and about general motors being crap... Learn something about the auto industry before you say anything. You are an ignorant fool. Yes I am a general motors fan...But I see the faults in my own company (and whatever yours is...I can tell you I have worked on enough vehicles to tell you that ALL of them have hairbrained designs that are going to break FOR A REASON. Like I said, learn about the industry before you start going off). Every vehicle has it's weakpoints, they all break. There is a reason GM is the biggest auto maker in the world. You think if Fomoco or Daimler could be as big as gm they wouldn't? Please.

twgranger
02-20-2004, 02:47 PM

i will take that bet :twisted: and kill that heavy slow turd with my 5.0 stang.lmao :D :D

TRI-Zbrian
02-20-2004, 03:08 PM
ive got the folowing mods doen to my TPI 305

crane cam
crane roller rockers
10:1 pistons
slp runners
hooker headers
true 2 1/4 duals
80 series flowmaster mufflers
excel super coil and wires
custom burnt prom for cam and lifter upgrades
posi rear end with 373s
i have a couple other mods as well but these are the biggest i can think of right now.

so bring your big bad rustang around my area any time you like and ill show you what chevy power is :twisted:

Dan Tenn
02-20-2004, 03:15 PM
I can pee farther than anyone else here. Wanna try me? lol

Lets get back to the subject kids.

200x Basket
02-20-2004, 03:17 PM
:D

like i said i will kill that slow turd. have you ever run itat the strip. i bet you wont even get a 14 second time slip. a stocl 88-93 stang will do that. my list of mods is way to much to get into here but i will show you a pic of my old SLOW 12 second DAILY driver pulling the front wheels at the strip.

TRI-Zbrian
02-20-2004, 03:24 PM
dude big deal even if it is faster then my car i have the satisfaction of knowing i have the better looking / handleing car..... i think there are a bunch of peeps that will agree that the 82-92 third generation camaros look far better then the pos 80s stangs do.

TRI-Zbrian
02-20-2004, 03:27 PM
and here is a pic of my car 8) the first pic is just of one i think looks real nice. my car is the black one with white racing stripes.... the other two are my friends cars. also there is a side shot of my car.

200x Basket
02-20-2004, 03:28 PM
here is the ten second ride. all motor. it alos has a 250HP two stage nitrous kit but i have never used it. (never had another street car to keep up with it on motor)

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1968&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

TRI-Zbrian
02-20-2004, 03:32 PM
rear end of my car..... sorry to get off of topic but i think many peeps will agree that the 82-92 camaros look a hell of a lot more sporty then the 80s stangs.... 80s stangs to me look way to boxy.... all they look like is a square boxy looking 80s car with a v8 in it...... the camaros have a low sleek, and wide stance to them that in my opinion looks a crap load better then the short, stubby, boxy stance the stangs have..... im sure there are more people that will agree with me.

also like said before if you are looking to build up a FORD then i would just buy a stang because like said before that is a car that you just drive around or lol crooooz in..... its not anything that was intended to be real fast.... but can be with the right amount of money and mods.... but the question is "do you want to make that type of car fast" i mena it would be a nice sleeper and all but you have to realy think about it i guess.... its up to you man.

200x Basket
02-20-2004, 03:36 PM
more pics of MY car :D http://www.corral.net/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=10588&cat=500&thumb=1

now to the original question. there is alot that you can do but like some jerkoff said, it is a cruiser. i would spend the mod $$$ and buy a stang. if you really wanted to you could use an A9L computer and convert to mass air, install a mustang cam, heads, mustang intake, gears, exhaust, and other stuff.

the pulleys are a good idea but the throttle body is a waste of $$ if you do not change the intake. the intake is where the engine is plugged up and then the heads. exhaust is a good idea. just get a set of long tube headers and find a good shop to complete the rest of it. in the end you will stiff have a 4500 pound sled that will get out run by a turdmaro :oops:

twgranger
02-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Sweet stang! :twisted:

Kilborg
02-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Get back to the topic before I lock this peice of useless garbage. I have only seen a few replys that had any sort of correlation to the thread at all. It's gone way off the whole idea behind the thread.

dz
02-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks to all that actually helped me with my questions. At no point in time did I say I wanted a race car at this point yet, I just wanted to juice it up a little bit. I am not racing anybody. I would just like to have the car nicer than it already is. Here is what it looks like. I will keep the guys who were generously trying to help me posted. Thanks for the CVX link.

TECATE CRAZE
02-20-2004, 08:16 PM
THAT'S ONE NICE LOOKING STANG YOU HAVE THERE

samster143
02-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Brian....I bet everything you own is a complete piece of garbage! You can't even spell simple words correctly.

Trikeaholic
02-21-2004, 11:03 AM

oh ya, the WIFE has a STOCK 89 2 door 5.0, and Ive never had a problem with a camaro. Back in the day, I had an 83 GT, and my girl had an 83 Z28, the Z would out handle my mustang, but no contest in accelleration at all. Both were bone stock.

Crash104936221
02-21-2004, 01:18 PM

oh ya, the WIFE has a STOCK 89 2 door 5.0, and Ive never had a problem with a camaro. Back in the day, I had an 83 GT, and my girl had an 83 Z28, the Z would out handle my mustang, but no contest in accelleration at all. Both were bone stock.

85 Crown Vic LTD 302 AOD 2bbl carb
Mods: punched cats and no pipes, electric fan, trunk cleaned out (amps still in) out ran a late 80's 305 maro 5spd :D

ya GM's are a nice cruzin car but they can be made to have a crap load of grunt they make a good sleaper if ya got the cash nice little forged 393 with AFR heads and a E303(276/288 in/ex with .498"lift) will kick some butt should pull 375+rwhp

J.D.
02-21-2004, 07:08 PM

I'm confused here. Which one accelerated more? The Z28 or the GT?

twgranger
02-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Brian....I bet everything you own is a complete piece of garbage! You can't even spell simple words correctly.lmao!! :D :D :D

Trikeaholic
02-21-2004, 08:04 PM
the GT was a ton faster than the Z28. Back then (1982-87) the mustangs ruled the roads. The 83 was only rated at 175 BHP, but it sure felt like more. It had a factory Holley 4 barrell, and a 5 speed. It actually felt quicker than the 89 we have with stock 225 BHP. These numbers are low, by todays standards, thats true, but the cars run really well, handle good, and have the potential for alot more horsepower. We chose to leave the 89 bone stock, the reason being is that it is pretty unusual to see an unmodified 5.0 these days. Too many have become teenage experiments, with haphazard "modifications" and tons of bolt on autozone junk. This is only going to help insure that our original owner coupe increases in value.

PowerTrike
02-21-2004, 08:35 PM
I'm a sucker for 82-92 F-Bodies, but must admit that 80s stangs aren't that bad (uglier though)....

anyway BACK ON TOPIC: dz if I were you I would just go with the exhaust upgrade like you said, that seems to open them up a bit. Also more airflow in with make more power. Go buy a K/N or eqivalent or be like me with my jeep and make a homeade ghetto intake out of PVC! I dumped the factory airbox and got about 5hp.

Kilborg
02-21-2004, 10:26 PM
You mustang guys had FAR less weight to deal with. Camaros were a few tenths slower, having more weight to deal with and very similar peak outputs. Once we got the high output 305, it was a bit better. The tpi 350 was the restoration of true camaro performance from the "dark years" that all the sports cars went through.

Once the camaro got the Lt1, stock vs stock, the mustang couldn't touch camaro's except for the limited build cobras (and only the ones of recent years). The 98+ Ls1 powered F-body was a true hotrod and with a few minor mods (free mods at that) can quite handily match the stock cobra. So you mustang guys had your time, we had ours...But having straight up performance killed the f-body whereas the mustang has gotten far more practical (with the f-body going the other way worrying about good cheap all around peformance). The Monaro platform (also gto) is what looks to be the next generation camaro, but it has yet to be seen...

Enough ranting about that...wayy off topic but no sense in not posting it now.

mbg75
02-22-2004, 11:16 PM
anyone interested in my ati procharger for a 86-93 5.0 mustang? new in the box $2800.

TRI-Zbrian
02-22-2004, 11:36 PM
this is my set up that i hope to have in my 85 iroc-z :D mustang killer..... except ill have 92 Z28 front clip, 92 z28 ground affex, 92 Z28 rear bumper, 4 inch harwood coul induction hood, Z28 high rise spoiler, 2 inch lowering springs, shaved door handles, shaved antenna, T56 six speed tranny..... also other small stuff, but my dream has alwase been to have a blower sticking out of the hood on one of my thirdgens..... i as we speak have a 383 stroker engine being built by a local shop with an estimated 480 ish horsepower that will be going in my iroc -z .... and yes i also thought about installing an LT1 engine in my iroc as well it is done alot actualy but i wanted to go a bit old school and go back to carbed that way i wouldnt have to worry about burning new proms for my computer to make it run right with the mods done to the engine.... ill have pics in the spring of it all when i start getting it together:D

and yes i will admit the FORD 302 was built a crap load better then the 305 but like said chevy corrected this buy coming out with the L98 350 TPI engine..... but like i said the 302 is a very good engine thats about the only credit i will give ford :twisted:

200x Basket
02-23-2004, 11:27 PM

thanks here are a few pics :evil:

200x Basket
02-23-2004, 11:28 PM

thanks here are a few pics :evil: see the ghost flames?

dz
02-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Here are the pictures of my car since I said I would post them but didn't. I have also found out that swapping the 5.0 HO parts with the current stock parts will juice me up, as well as boring out the throttle body and spacer.

dz
02-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Here are the pictures of my car since I said I would post them but didn't. I have also found out that swapping the 5.0 HO parts with the current stock parts will juice me up, as well as boring out the throttle body and spacer.

HemiChallenger71
02-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Not to start flaming again, but I would be willing to bet my Rustang would take your camaro. My '86 stang has 120,000 miles, 24lb. injectors, 89 wiring harness w/mass air, Tremec TKO w/stock clutch, and shorty headers/exhaust and all the smog stuff elminated, underdrives and an accel coil. Your camaro is a heavy car, and the 305 is no power house. Once you drop a 350 in, then you can talk smack all day. I personally would go with a high winding 283 or 327 if you were able to find a block cheep.

Nice grand marquis DZ, you don't see to many of those cars taken care of. If I were you I would do an exhaust system and some other minor stuff like throttle body and maybe an intake off a mustang or a GT-40 intake and TB off a Lightning or an explorer, or you could buy aftermarket stuff as well. I have herd mixed opinions about the 24lb. injectors with a regulator adding and not ading power, but that would be another modification you could do too. That AOD will become a weak link eventually if it already isn't. And I wouldn't recommend underdrives, I don't care for them on my car, especially at night. If you want to do even more some home porting on the E-6 heads can do wonders, I'm thinking about doing mine. The E-7 heads are better stock over the e-6's but I hear and read the E-6's respond better to porting, especially if the car will be set up for more low end and mid range power. Check out some fo the forums online for mustangs and ask some fo those guys what they think.

Crash104936221
02-24-2004, 04:14 PM
thats a sharp looking GM!!!!

im not a fan of the rims though they look ok but not may taste then again i hate chrome or gleaming parts in general :D

be for i sold my 85 i was looking at blacking out all the chrome and removing the vinal (sp??) then repainting the car dark metalic gray but its all dreams till you do it!

Joe

TECATE CRAZE
02-24-2004, 06:10 PM
after looking at them both what can I say the Mustang has my vote I like what you did with the flames !