PDA

View Full Version : Araneae & Other Creepy Things Thread

El Camexican
11-24-2019, 08:09 PM
I’ve been fascinated with spiders all my life and aside from some horrific things that were done to some daddy long legs that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time in my youth I’ve never willing harmed them.

A few years ago an East Indian Dude who I got to know as the owner of a gas station I frequented in Houston got bit 3 times on his lower shin by a brown recluse spider and it left him with three holes in his leg that looked like they went all the way to the bone.

Then a couple of years back in West Texas my buddy’s wife got bit by one on her inner thigh and almost lost her entire leg. As a Northern boy this stuff was all new to me.

These past few weeks I’ve been working around rotting wood piles and creeks with a lot of foliage around them and I’m seeing a lot of spiders I’ve never seen before. I also seem to be getting bite a lot, at least once a day and sometimes the welts take a week or more to clear up.

The bigger one was today and the smaller one was yesterday. I also go bit on the belly and the leg, but mostly it’s been on the neck.

Probably should be taking more precautions than I am, but I don’t even know what repellent to use for spiders.

Anyway, I’m hoping some of you will post photos of the spiders you come across day to day. I’ll start with this these two I ran into yesterday tha stuck around for a photo.

Aulbaugh
11-24-2019, 10:53 PM
We get brown recluse and black widow spiders here in North East Texas like nobodies business. I was vacuuming out the family roadster a month ago and noticed a black widow in the back of the SUV. For days I was checking that back area for any signs of any more. Spiders give me the webbie jebbies.

shortline10
11-24-2019, 11:05 PM
I get these huge spiders on my property , green , kinda furry . no clue on the name .
Got bit on my inner thigh a couple years ago by one and it took a couple months to heal .

Took this picture a couple weeks ago , almost got me as I walked out my back door about a half hour after dark .

ironchop
11-24-2019, 11:07 PM
Yeah my area had black widow and brown recluse both. I see black widows almost daily, probably five times more than a recluse. I just killed a black widow on the living room carpet last night after I took off my coat and it fell out of my sleeve. They mostly like to hide in your shoes/boots so you always check before putting them on

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

El Camexican
11-25-2019, 12:05 AM
I was looking at some wooded property a couple months back and wanted to walk it. The owner and my wife stayed at the truck as I walked in through the brush on a game trail.

About 50 yards in I felt resistance on my chest as I was passing between two shrubs and realized I’d walked into some really thick strands of webbing. As I started trying to break it apart with my hands I was wondering what kind of spider could make a web this thick and just at that moment I noticed the owner of the web was on my shirt on the lowest point of my right rib cage.

It was the biggest non-tarantula spider I’d ever seen. It was shiny, black, no hair, the tips of the legs looked like small cat claws and the joints on the legs had white bands.

I screamed like a girlie trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro and swatted it off and then gathered myself and whipped out my phone to get a photo of the beast, but it wasn’t to be found. I’ve looked on the Internet and asked a half dozen ranchers in the area and no one seems to have encountered one of these. I’d really like to know more about it other than that it’s scary looking as all heck.

About 18 years ago I caught a big spider that was running and jumping through some tall grass I was cutting with a mower. A day earlier I caught a foot long lizard of some sort in the same area and had it at home in an aquarium. I figured the lizard would appreciate a local snack, so I brought the spider home and put it in the aquarium.

The two creatures stared at each other for about 3 seconds before the spider jumped onto the lizard and bit it. The lizard spun, flipped onto its back and died in less that a heart beat.

The short lived battle took place in my 4 month old daughter’s bedroom where I had the aquarium. My wife who’d witnessed the battle freaked and demanded that I take the spider back to where I found it.

El Camexican
11-25-2019, 12:25 AM
I get these huge spiders on my property , green , kinda furry . no clue on the name .
Got bit on my inner thigh a couple years ago by one and it took a couple months to heal .

Took this picture a couple weeks ago , almost got me as I walked out my back door about a half hour after dark .

Do they look like this?

shortline10
11-25-2019, 05:29 AM
My picture is not great , they aren’t translucent , the body on this one was as big as a 50 cent piece and with the legs probably 3” across .
Spent plenty of time trying to look it up on the internet with no luck .
Possibly an invasive species from one of these local plant nurseries near me ?
I’ve probably killed 20 in the last 10 years .

shortline10
11-25-2019, 05:46 AM
Possibly this one except the green is more pronounced .

They make a web usually from tree to another tree that is mind boggling in size .
Freaks my wife and kids out every time we find one .

El Camexican
11-25-2019, 10:06 AM
Here's a dock spider I saw a few years back. She was sunning with her little pinhead sized babies and as I got within a couple feet they all ran off the web and onto her back. I think these are the largest spiders there are in Canada, over a 3" leg span and very well camouflaged.

plastikosmd
11-25-2019, 10:09 AM
Damn el, I am NOT visiting!

DAM shop
11-25-2019, 08:41 PM
The itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Out came the rain and washed the spider out,
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the spout again.
:Bounce

DAM shop
11-25-2019, 08:50 PM
I worked at a motorcycle shop a while ago R&D motorcycle. We were working on a customers bike that he bought back from out of state. when we pulled the exhaust pipe off out came a black widow. One of the mechanics Teddy knew what it was and said “Cool, that’s a black widow” the other mechanic Rob, freaked, grabbed a mallet and killed it.

El Camexican
11-25-2019, 08:53 PM
I’m going to have to side with Rod on that decision.

Scootertrash
11-25-2019, 09:47 PM
I'll just leave this here

https://youtu.be/4vudA72hibg

El Camexican
11-25-2019, 11:24 PM
Yeah my area had black widow and brown recluse both. I see black widows almost daily, probably five times more than a recluse. I just killed a black widow on the living room carpet last night after I took off my coat and it fell out of my sleeve. They mostly like to hide in your shoes/boots so you always check before putting them on

Do you know anyone personally that’s been bite by a black widow?

ironchop
11-26-2019, 01:33 PM
Do you know anyone personally that’s been bite by a black widow?No, usually the people I know that get spider bit never saw the spider that bit them... Just the consequences

Arky-X
11-30-2019, 12:02 AM
I was bit by a brown recluse (that's what the MediQuik doc said) when I was a teenager. You don't know when it happens but then it started to swell just above my ankle around a hole that started getting bigger each day. Finally, went to the doc and they pointed out the light red "veins" running out from the bite (now a hole about half the size of a dime) throughout the swollen area. I remember ignoring it at first then I got really really really tired for some reason and showed it to my mom. Off to the doc who gave me some meds and all was good.

I've seen brown recluse, black widow, scorpion, tarantula around here. It is cyclical what you see the most of though. One year I saw several brown recluse but haven't seen any in a few years. Same with scorpion. I used to see tarantula a lot when I was younger but haven't seen many in the last 15 years or so.

I don't know what this is but it is about 3" in size and had a huge web built under a porch. Someone told me it is called a banana spider but I am not sure.

The janitor at my high school said he was bit by a black widow. Said he felt it when it happened so he went to the doc before it started eating flesh like mine did.
That was long ago but I remember it because we were swapping "spider bite" stories and my biology teacher was wanting to show off mine and his bites to her science classes.

ATC King
11-30-2019, 11:02 AM
That's what we call a barn spider here. The zigzag pattern in the middle of the web is their trademark. They are a species of orb weaver, Argiope aurantia.

I've commonly seen them in...barns. They tend to prefer open, higher spaces. A really cool looking spider and web.

I can find a brown recluse in minutes here. A black widow in half an hour maybe. They're all over the place, but it's the same old rule for them as it is for most things in life; look before sticking you hand in.

Noodlers ignore that one though.

Not everyone gets necrosis (loxoscelism) from a brown recluse bite, nor does everyone have a serious reaction from a black widow bite. Both typically happen when the spider is squished against the skin, in places like bed or putting on clothes, especially clothing that's been hanging in dark closets for extended periods. Always turn those winter clothes inside out before first wearing them for the season...you may find a forgotten $20 bill too!

Keeping a lot of paper or cardboard boxes in the home is a bad idea, because that is what brown recluse are attracted to. Their natural environment is rotted wood, where they eat insects. Black widows love damp, dark places, like cellars and crawl spaces, but they are at home anywhere dark, like closets.

In the spring and summer here, a light shined onto the grass reveals thousands of reflective dew like dots, but they're actually spider eyes. Wolf spiders like you wouldn't believe, all over the place. They occasionally come in the house, but they're just lost. They look more terrifying then what they actually are. As solitary hunters, they scurry around a lot.

Anyone who doesn't like spiders in the house, should count themselves fortunate if they see a house centipede. (Scutigera coleoptrata). They look weird, but are spider munching machines.

I found this tarantula in the pasture about a month ago. I was excited to see it. They used to be very common, but I think the fire ants hurt their population. I'll take tarantulas over fire ants all day, every day. I did pester it to get the fang shot. They mind their own business and like to avoid humans. Actually, I was moving a tool box in the shop and found a tarantula next to it. When I was taking it to the wood line is when I seen this other one in the pasture.

A couple more from here.

ironchop
11-30-2019, 01:18 PM
We had those banana spiders everywhere in Indiana when I was growing up. I haven't seen a single one since we moved to southern Kentucky.

Tarantulas are pretty docile... At least the ones I've handled although I'll admit that it might be a different story for a spider that wasn't bred and raised in a terrarium

El Camexican
12-01-2019, 07:14 PM
A few from today. Lots of skeletal remains amongst the living including a frog, or toad that somehow made it in from the top of the chimney.

El Camexican
12-02-2019, 10:35 PM

Those spiny orb spiders are so cool. We get them in a variety of colors here. They seem to like my orange tree.

El Camexican
12-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Found a few more

Sorry if the red one looks a little squished. It dropped onto the back of my neck while I was shoveling gravel out of the water canal and suffered a panic mode swat.

ATC King
12-06-2019, 11:29 AM
That squished one looks interesting.

I really try to ignore that swat impulse, because it typically causes a bite or sting. I've gotten pretty good at taking a look first, but not always.

We have small scorpions here and the only time I've been stung was swatting at it before I knew what was on me. The sting isn't much worse than a honey bee, but not quite a red wasp. Like many other predatory crawly things, they like dead and rotting wood.

A good source of local spidey info here are dirt dauber nests. They will be full of spiders, like crab spiders and a whole lot of color variations I haven't seen around here. They paralyze them for the nest and each nest cell will have one of more spiders. They are excellent spider hunters and I've seen them flying with their prey many times.

El Camexican
12-08-2019, 10:20 AM
That squished one looks interesting.

I really try to ignore that swat impulse, because it typically causes a bite or sting. I've gotten pretty good at taking a look first, but not always.

That’s good advice. I’m not sure I can undo 50 years of swat reflex enhanced by growing up in a mosquito hotbed, but I’ll try.

I ran into another red spider (unsquished) only 10’ from where the other one was.

ATC King
02-13-2020, 10:56 PM
Wolf Spider I seen today.

These guys are all over the place here, and I see them running across the floor a lot. Not a threat to humans, not aggressive, but don't run away either. This one was small. It has some fuzz on it's legs from he dusty cup I took it outside in. I dislike killing spiders, and just take them outside when found in the house.

El Camexican
02-14-2020, 09:49 AM
I keep running into spiders every weekend, but more often than not they’re the same species.

These are a few I haven’t seen before. The first one was so small I wouldn’t have seen it had it not built it’s web on the handle of my gate. He had to be coaxed into posing.

This next one was small too, but had a massive egg sack in relation to her body.

I just noticed that there’s what appears the be the remains of a second spider in the first photo. Considering the squares in the wire mess in that photo are only 1” the cameras that come on our phones there days are pretty amazing.

El Camexican
02-23-2020, 07:17 PM
Lots of movement today. I hate killing these, but the darn things jump and swing all over the place while I’m working. Something stung my wrist last week and the swelling hasn’t gone down one bit after 8 days.

ATC King
03-02-2020, 12:55 PM
I was getting rid of some rotten firewood yesterday, so there was definitely a chance in finding some critters in there.

I don't know what this one is.

I seen these egg sacks, which I was expecting. Only one spider here makes these and has this thick & crappy looking web. I didn't see her right away though. Not until later.

After coming back for another load, I found sexy black. Look at those strong legs.

She was moving around a lot, so I had a difficult time trying to get a good picture.

El Camexican
03-06-2020, 08:02 PM
Ran into this little guy while changing a battery on a yard light this morning. It wasn’t until after I shook him off and went back to pulling the battery out that I realize there were two of them. If you look closely at the photo you’ll see the backside of the other one in a crack along the edge. So small, no wonder I keep getting bites even though I haven’t seen spiders.

This one was swinging in front of my face from the overhang of the house the other day. I had to break his line and swing him onto the wall of the house to take the picture.

coolpool
03-07-2020, 12:10 PM
Dang you folks have good "spidey senses" to find those things! I just got back from Huatulco, Mexico and didn't see a single spider; the copious amounts of drinking might be the issue? I think the resorts fumigate at night to keep the fat, sweaty Canadians happy without scaring them away. We'll shoo away a black bear from the porch but face a spider or scorpion..........nope! I did see a red ant about 3/4" long with a head about 1/4" wide with wicked pinchers, wouldn't want to get bit by that sucker.

ATC King
03-10-2020, 11:00 AM
If I had a fear of spiders, living here would be...problematic.

Alligators are another story. It's difficult to even catch anything on a trotline anymore without the gators getting to it first. It was illegal to hunt them here until maybe 8-10 years ago, but it's still only by permit lottery now. It should be by regular purchased permit. They're in all the swimming holes I went to when younger. The effect of an unmanaged species by the state. Many of the rivers here didn't have dams until the 60's-70's and they weren't the slow flowing cesspools they are now below the dams, replete with hog and chicken farm waste. Bacterial infection is a real concern when swimming during summer here now.

El Camexican
03-10-2020, 06:20 PM
Myself and most of the people I know from up north we’re surprised to learn that there are alligators outside of Florida. A buddy of mine has a 10 foot gator living on his ranch about 20 miles North of Wharton TX. Just showed up in his pond one day and started eating turtles. Make you think twice about walking though tall grass.

ATC King
03-10-2020, 08:58 PM
If it ain't the gators, it's the wild hogs to watch out for in the bottoms here. Surf and turf.

I finally got some pictures of a jumping spider. This is a typical one here, with the white dot on the back and iridescent green up front. Black and white coloration overall. .

Absolutely cool little dudes. They seem inquisitive and you can play around with them. They are active and fast movers. They do a little dance with their front legs like their giving a couple high fives. Go towards them and they back up, but start moving away, and here they come! It's like a game with them. This little guy kept jumping onto the camera.

Maybe he had some caffeine?

El Camexican
03-16-2020, 07:38 PM
These things are getting smaller and less photogenic, but here are last weekend’s models.

Billy Golightly
03-16-2020, 08:22 PM

Test ?

Billy Golightly
03-16-2020, 08:23 PM

test 2

El Camexican
03-16-2020, 11:53 PM

test 2

Still can't post photos from my iphone

Billy Golightly
03-17-2020, 03:10 AM
Try a different phone? :lol: Sorry

El Camexican
03-17-2020, 09:43 AM
Try a different phone? :lol: Sorry

I did, but I’ll try from a different device today as well. Thanks!

ATC King
03-19-2020, 01:03 PM
These things are getting smaller and less photogenic, but here are last weekend’s models.

That little green one is very similar to what I find in the dirt dauber nest here. I may see one occasionally, but the dirt daubers must know where to find them, because their nest are full of them.

Once summer commences, I can open up a nest and take some pictures.

El Camexican
03-20-2020, 11:40 PM
Just caught her out of the corner of my eye as I was locking up. Took a while to get her to pose under the flashlight.

El Camexican
03-21-2020, 11:50 AM
Pulled an old box off a shelf that had a toilet bowl seal in it. After removing and inspecting the seal I went to put it back in and noticed that it was someone’s safe place.

El Camexican
03-21-2020, 12:30 PM
I just felt something on the back of my neck that I was really hoping was a leaf, but much to my dismay I flung this off.

I really do not like killing these things, but I have my limits. This guy just went into the fire pit.

I’m cleaning out a storage shed and there are spiders coming out of every nook and cranny.

El Camexican
03-21-2020, 06:01 PM
These suckers can move!

plastikosmd
03-22-2020, 11:46 AM
Working on my jeep in the shop and looked in the rearview mirror and saw this guy running across the floor. Big enough that I could see him from a distance.. This is a 16 ounce cup
Set him free somewhere else
https://i.postimg.cc/hjDGhF82/F56-F09-A2-D192-44-F2-B3-D2-628-E7-C0-FEA6-D.jpg (https://postimg.cc/p9Sv166j)

El Camexican
03-22-2020, 12:29 PM
This guy is a little bit too big for his hiding spot.

ATC King
03-22-2020, 02:34 PM
This guy is a little bit too big for his hiding spot.

That's one of those, DERP, spiders!

coolpool
03-23-2020, 07:27 PM
You guys ever hear of "Dr Doom" or "Spider Ban"? Clears them suckers up right away. I'm going to go inside and watch the outdoor channel now.

El Camexican
03-29-2020, 11:59 PM
Today’s models.

El Camexican
04-06-2020, 10:04 PM

Escorted her to a new home

El Camexican
04-07-2020, 07:57 PM
Was looking for some nuts and bolts in my buddies warehouse using the light on my phone when suddenly I had the living cr*p scared out of me.

DAM shop
04-07-2020, 08:37 PM
Dam El I think I counted 18 different post of different spiders from you since you started this thread.

El Camexican
04-07-2020, 09:46 PM
Dam El I think I counted 18 different post of different spiders from you since you started this thread.

Tip of the iceberg. They’re everywhere ya wanna be.

El Camexican
04-19-2020, 03:55 PM
Yesterday was insane for spiders. We are well over 50% done with burning all the deadwood around the property, so I guess those who have been evicted are looking for new homes.

The wife finally freaked out at 9 o’clock last night when she walked into the bedroom and could see 4 spiders at once. Insisted I take here home. $5.00 worth of gas and a possible DUI VS a divorce, fairly easy choice.

The one in the first photo scared the bejesus out of me. It was sitting between two toolboxes when I went to reach for the one in the back. When it ran out you could hear its feet pitter pattering on the wooden shelf. Kind of creepy to hear a spiders footsteps, especially when the sucker can run like lightning.

ATC King
04-20-2020, 11:06 PM
I got super lucky today, just being in the shop and working on things I got two really good opportunities.

First is a male black widow. These guys are much harder to find, as in I don't know where to look like I do with their counterparts. This one just happened to be in the open.

The next one is another jumping spider, which I seen outside the shop doors. I had to run into the house and get my camera. Super lucky to see it feeding on the butterfly. If that dude managed to ride that butterfly for eight seconds, he needs a belt buckle. There are some ants in a couple pics. The butterfly was still twitching when I first seen it.

My niece was in the shop when I found the male black widow. I was handling it and could only find a bucket to put it in until I got the camera. She is terrified of spiders, but hand her a snake and she goes bananas over it.:wondering

ATC King
04-23-2020, 11:49 PM

All the same spider. First pic is against Turf Saver tire tread.

El Camexican
04-28-2020, 09:19 PM
This was a new one for me. When I grabbed onto the left hand grip of my three wheeler it suddenly jumped onto the back of my hand from somewhere on the handlebar and when I tried to shake it off it did the Spiderman thing and lowered itself all the way down from my hand onto the toe of my boot.

He looks a bit like a crab.

ATC King
04-30-2020, 11:34 AM
The dirt dauber nests here have a lot of those little green crab spiders.

ATC King
05-07-2020, 01:59 PM

El Camexican
07-12-2020, 12:59 PM

New phone, camera is amazing!

ATC King
07-17-2020, 09:37 AM
Barn Spider

ATC King
07-22-2020, 09:32 PM
Horny Green Spider? No idea. :p

Tiny, size of a thumbnail. Wasn't able to get anything in the pic for scale, very active spider.

El Camexican
07-22-2020, 10:33 PM
Whoa! That's a freaky looking spider.

El Camexican
07-25-2020, 08:59 PM
At first I thought the little guy was a scorpion.

ATC King
07-26-2020, 10:58 PM
We have some similar to your second pic. If I'm able to capture one, I'll post it.

Spiders are all over the world; great thread.

El Camexican
08-25-2020, 09:36 PM
Been awhile since I’ve put up any new photos, but I’m still running across a lot of spiders.

And then there was this one that I mistakenly thought was a brown recluse. The violin is there, but the legs are wrong.

As an added bonus there was some sort of winged beast with a set of jaws on it that made me leave it alone. Would not want that to land on my neck at night.

ATC King
08-25-2020, 10:37 PM
The big winged insect is a dobsonfly. We have those in Arkansas too.

BarnBoy
08-25-2020, 11:15 PM
Here in NE Oklahoma we have plenty of brown recluse, black widows are common outside also. And we do have scorpions and tarantulas but you almost have to be looking for them to see them most of the year. Its creepy to see how fast the brown recluse will move. I'm not "freaked out" scared of spiders but I squish every one I see if its even questionable whether its poisonous. Not used to that being from Canada. There you can shove your hand most anywhere without being afraid of anything poisonous.

ATC King
08-25-2020, 11:56 PM
Not used to that being from Canada. There you can shove your hand most anywhere without being afraid of anything poisonous.

Y'all probably still had snapping clams in Canada. I wouldn't put my hand anywhere near one of those, they'll steal your wallet.

oldskool83
08-26-2020, 08:09 AM
couldnt evn pronounce that thread title so i looked...way to many MR. Skinny legs in here as my daughter say so im out!

Jd110
08-26-2020, 08:51 AM
Time to introduce Miss skinny legs and her cannibals.
Then there was this:

El Camexican
08-26-2020, 09:15 PM
This guy jumped onto the table today. Had a hard time getting him to stop for a photo.

El Camexican
08-26-2020, 09:22 PM
Time to introduce Miss skinny legs and her cannibals.

Cool! I’ve never seen a Black Widow in person and based on how I felt after thinking I’d almost put my hand on a Brown Recluse yesterday I don’t want to.

Keep the non-spider photos coming. Snakes, lizards, monster moths, weird bugs, whatever.

Here’s a Rino Beatle I saw a few months back.

ATC King
08-27-2020, 12:42 AM
What day is it?

El Camexican
08-27-2020, 07:08 AM
What day is it?

“Slow down honey, you know I don’t like quickies!”

At least he was wearing protection.

Jd110
08-27-2020, 09:34 AM
I’ve never seen a widow in motion. Even the little ones left competing for space were still. Haven’t had a bad encounter with one. Some creepy stuff here, though.
I’ve had several of these on me at once. They creep me out the most. Ticks!! No bueno!

ATC King
08-27-2020, 11:34 PM
I’ve had several of these on me at once. They creep me out the most. Ticks!! No bueno!

How about having an outdoors, in the woods job, where Lyme disease carrying ticks are a fact? I had to buy a mirror for my taint, just so I could sleep at night.

I got to spend a few months in Idaho. I love that state. The Idaho roll (now Arkansas has it) and one of the few states that allows bicycle traffic on the interstate shoulder. I can't overstate how that allows easy and fast cycling across a state, and it's safer than riding on two lane roads with no shoulder where drivers still move at interstate speeds.

That last pic is from the mountain bike trails at Boise.

coolpool
08-28-2020, 12:09 PM
Y'all probably still had snapping clams in Canada. I wouldn't put my hand anywhere near one of those, they'll steal your wallet.

Yes sir, them snapping clams will get'cha every time, lol. Snapping turtles is what I get the eebie jeebies over when wading in muddy creeks. That dobsonfly is nasty, wouldn't want to get bit by that thing!

Jd110
08-29-2020, 02:45 PM
How about having an outdoors, in the woods job, where Lyme disease carrying ticks are a fact? I had to buy a mirror for my taint, just so I could sleep at night.

I got to spend a few months in Idaho. I love that state. The Idaho roll (now Arkansas has it) and one of the few states that allows bicycle traffic on the interstate shoulder. I can't overstate how that allows easy and fast cycling across a state, and it's safer than riding on two lane roads with no shoulder where drivers still move at interstate speeds.

That last pic is from the mountain bike trails at Boise.
Nice pictures! I like to ride, also. I’ll try a couple more from a place called bull run that has a abandoned railroad through it. Nice and quiet out here, too.
Rode 40 miles after work, to Harrison and back. It’s the flattest area around so it doesn’t take long.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200829/94f660e2c06b662854727866b03a4767.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200829/c9dfed5904b62945e1011d1cd459f49b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200829/70a7e2d5f827667d2efdf7791bc0c99b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200829/19851f178f333806578b345e4326dc92.jpg

El Camexican
08-29-2020, 04:49 PM
Today I saw a Kawasaki beetle and a KTM butterfly

El Camexican
09-09-2020, 10:27 PM
Lots of bugs around last weekend.

Jim mac
09-11-2020, 12:08 AM
where we go riding, find a hole in the ground, pour a little water in it, out pops a tarantula. totally harmless, just dont let it bite you. but you can pick them up and let them crawl on you. I'll get a picture, show the grand kids and we just leave them alone afterwards. jim

ironchop
09-11-2020, 10:04 AM
.... totally harmless, just dont let it bite you... jim
LOL

Ok... Sounds simple enough

El Camexican
09-13-2020, 08:27 PM
Some sort of caterpillar. Too freaky to touch.

fieldy
09-13-2020, 09:56 PM
Accidently picked up a walking stick that's been setting off my outdoor camera this week. Hanging around the water bowl i suppose, been very dry August/September. Tore his leg off by accident and escorted him to a nearby tree. No picture just wondered if they were dangerous. Heard they were. Figured dog would eat it.

El Camexican
09-13-2020, 10:07 PM
Accidently picked up a walking stick that's been setting off my outdoor camera this week. Hanging around the water bowl i suppose, been very dry August/September. Tore his leg off by accident and escorted him to a nearby tree. No picture just wondered if they were dangerous. Heard they were. Figured dog would eat it.

The leg should grow back. I don’t think they can bite, but they can secrete come kind of smelly acid. I leave them be, cool to watch. Had one fall on my shoulder a year back that was at least 6” long. Most I see are only an inch or two.

fieldy
09-13-2020, 10:12 PM
Wow, the leg can grow back? Can't remember thinking chameleons can grow the tail back, wild stuff. Looked and some walking stick can pinch and draw blood.

ATC King
09-14-2020, 11:50 AM
Some sort of caterpillar. Too freaky to touch.

Myself, I generally don't handle caterpillars. I don't know enough about them, but there are some that at the least have irritating hairs or even spines that sting, like asps. At the least they can cause a slight rash, and the venomous ones can be something like a bee sting.

Mr. Clean
09-14-2020, 11:56 AM
Tarantula at my house

Scorpion, biggest I have seen in AZ.

ATC King
09-14-2020, 12:45 PM
Did you intentionally lay down a floor color with tarantula and scorpion camouflage in mind?

Paint the monsters into the floor? Can't be scared of them if you can't see them. :)

El Camexican
09-14-2020, 08:56 PM
Myself, I generally don't handle caterpillars. I don't know enough about them, but there are some that at the least have irritating hairs or even spines that sting, like asps. At the least they can cause a slight rash, and the venomous ones can be something like a bee sting.

We’ve got some here that burn like fire if you touch them, but I don’t know which ones they are, so I avoid them all. Kind of like snakes.

El Camexican
09-14-2020, 10:56 PM
This one was camera shy. Wouldn’t stay still for more than a couple seconds.

El Camexican
09-20-2020, 09:59 PM
I thought this guy was an ant at first.

Dog ate a toad last weekend and started frothing at the mouth. He was sick for most of the day. I’m not touching much of anything anymore.

At least I know these guys are safe to touch.

ATC King
09-21-2020, 12:16 AM
I thought this guy was an ant at first.

Nice one. There are spiders that mimic ants, and it looks like you found one.

At least I know these guys are safe to touch.

Is that your insurance agent? :)

Waterloo tool box? I've got one of those, but it's somewhat old. It belonged to my grandfather.

Look what I found! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQhJyiDd9c

El Camexican
09-21-2020, 07:54 PM
Nice one. There are spiders that mimic ants, and it looks like you found one.

Is that your insurance agent? :)

Waterloo tool box? I've got one of those, but it's somewhat old. It belonged to my grandfather.

Look what I found! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQhJyiDd9c

That spider was walking around amongst a bunch of 3/4” long ants. The only thing that gave him away was that he was only 1/2” long.

Um, no.

I have seven of those particular Waterloo tool boxes because that was the only model available in Mexico at the time I put together my workbenches. I believe they’re the last American made toolbox out there and I’m sorry to say this, but they suck. The United States put crazy high duties on Chinese Tool Boxes a couple years back, so I don’t know whats being sold up there right now, but I bet it’s very expensive whatever it is.

ATC King
09-21-2020, 09:22 PM
The Harbor Freight US General and Icon tool boxes seem to be whooping up on some of the more expensive brands.

I've always felt that the tools make money, not the box. Any box con be overloaded, and if enough drawers are pulled out at once, it's going over. I've got a Homak, and has been moved to several shops. It's holding up well. A Snap-On rep made a snarky remark about it one time. I didn't buy a box from him; that's certain.

I hear you on the crappy US stuff though. Instead of encouraging companies to excel, the US has a history of protecting them with import tariffs. There are too many examples, but one it the 750cc motorcycle tax back in the 1970's to protect Harley Davidson. The maturation of Japanese bikes were ripping them a new one. In the long run, that tariff actually hurt that American motorcycle manufacturer. They felt insulated from the competition and didn't progress as they needed to.

Here's a couple links pertaining to the tool box tax:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/06/04/2018-11905/certain-tool-chests-and-cabinets-from-the-peoples-republic-of-china-and-the-socialist-republic-of

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-trump-effect-toolbox-idUSKCN1GO0CE

ATC King
09-23-2020, 08:58 PM
Found this little guy today. That's my pinky finger. Maybe it's a little red because I was using some paint stripper without gloves...it was clean when handling the frog though.

El Camexican
09-23-2020, 09:39 PM
Ha! That little guy probably has the loudest voice in the pond.

Jd110
09-29-2020, 11:47 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/765b61ce69725f69b5482585c0ae1824.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/1a8d2f3669913f41b012c0a261aa00c0.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/4849144e5905321fb05b9a1b897540a8.jpg
The life of this cat spider is all about the web-a perfect funnel shaped trap. Right above the widow.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/5e0ded17dabc7ae58fdc2ec8aefc6d7e.jpg
Little snake on other side of the door from the widow.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/fc56a0cd58169ff926cdc276f1388249.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/690c5ec793a4cd9854714e8830cc4488.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/3c39fe40d02347c0e717c44a71ac4f21.jpg
Frog resides below the mantis. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/1c69c163d0efc9083dd7dadff1f3d665.jpg
Little tall tail coming through. Got lots a creature pictures but I’ll stop here;).
My 11 y/o calls it national geographic on a budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATC King
09-29-2020, 12:36 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/1c69c163d0efc9083dd7dadff1f3d665.jpg

What type of cat is that? Can you get a closer picture next time. :)

Jd110
09-29-2020, 08:21 PM
What type of cat is that? Can you get a closer picture next time. :)
It’s a scaredy-cat, so probably not;)

El Camexican
09-29-2020, 08:51 PM
A few new creepy crawlers

ATC King
09-29-2020, 10:33 PM
I think that's a handicap walking stick and needs a walking...stick.

El Camexican
09-29-2020, 10:49 PM
I think that's a handicap walking stick and needs a walking...stick.

He was nervous. Somehow he ended up 10’ away from the neatest tree. He was trying to hide from me rather than stay still like they usually do.

I’m glad to know his leg will grow back.

Now if only jd110 would adopt that cat and give it a good home...

coolpool
10-02-2020, 07:09 PM
The Mrs was freaking out about a large slug in her garden one day so I figured it was a regular one that was somewhat bigger; or she had one too many cocktails in the afternoon! When she showed me the thing I was very surprised to see how large it was. In the picture it's beside a quarter for comparison. First time I've seen that species in my 23 years here!

El Camexican
10-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Had to chase this one around. Took at least 12 photos, but none really captures the odd shape of the body.

ATC King
10-19-2020, 08:34 PM
Wood boring beetle, of some sort. Common to find them in rotten wood around here.

El Camexican
10-20-2020, 09:00 AM
This weekend’s stars

bobtdms
10-23-2020, 02:33 PM
This is the largest wolf spider I've seen this year, but they do get a little bigger. The lighter is a full size bic for comparison.

El Camexican
10-25-2020, 10:07 AM

From now on my truck is a Sssshevy.

El Camexican
10-25-2020, 10:54 PM

Funny how most of the large spiders run when you get too close, but most of the little ones stand their ground.

El Camexican
11-05-2020, 08:30 PM
Some recent ones. The guy on my glasses was a little freaky.

Buddy sent this one

coolpool
11-06-2020, 12:26 PM
El Cam, what the heck kind of snake is in your truck?

MrConcdid
11-06-2020, 02:14 PM

From now on my truck is a Sssshevy.

I normally don't cuss, But HELL NO!

MrC.

I will never feel safe reaching into the back of my truck again. thanks El Camexican

El Camexican
11-06-2020, 02:48 PM
El Cam, what the heck kind of snake is in your truck?

The kind that would make my wife scream loud enough to bust my eardrums.

Can you imagine that slithering into you car unnoticed and popping out of the dash vent at 70mph?

The locals tell me it’s a “Ratonera” meaning it eats mice and rats, so good snake. They have teeth and will bite if provoked, but no venom.

ATC King
11-17-2020, 09:07 PM
The cats are pretty good at catching these:

plastikosmd
12-12-2020, 02:42 PM
This guy was in the shop
https://i.postimg.cc/G2MVY12F/4-FB1-D60-F-2-EA9-4458-BA02-1-EA7-B0925739.jpg (https://postimg.cc/FdLT580z)

El Camexican
12-13-2020, 09:26 AM
This guy was in the shop
https://i.postimg.cc/G2MVY12F/4-FB1-D60-F-2-EA9-4458-BA02-1-EA7-B0925739.jpg (https://postimg.cc/FdLT580z)

Abe Lincoln? ;)

plastikosmd
12-13-2020, 09:04 PM
Yep!
No help

El Camexican
12-20-2020, 10:44 PM
Baby walking stick. Less than 1/4” long. Saw on the floor while laying tile and moved him to a tree.

El Camexican
01-23-2021, 10:39 PM
Anyone know what these are called?

It’s about 2” long. Looks like a crayfish, beetle and a centipede had a threesome at the Evolution Hotel.

ATC King
01-24-2021, 12:22 PM
At first I was thinking...https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsadderbutwiser.files.wordpress.co m%2F2013%2F06%2Fkhan.jpg%3Fw%3D584&f=1&nofb=1

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpopdose.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fchek72.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Then I was like..nah...it's probably just a Hellgrammite. :lol:

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/File:Hellgrammite.jpg
https://bugguide.net/node/view/359597

El Camexican
01-24-2021, 12:30 PM
Thanks man! I’ve had it in a pail all week. I’ll let it go now that I know it’s not going to enter my body through my naval Matrix style.

El Camexican
03-29-2021, 10:46 PM
They call these gallinas ciega or blind hens down here.... and some people eat them.... raw! :crazy:

ATC King
03-29-2021, 11:19 PM
We've got the same thing in Arkansas. Here, they're just called grubs, or grub worms.

No way I'd eat something like that raw, because of the chance of parasites.

If our hens found one, they'd be happy. Pretty sure they could find one even if blind.

El Camexican
03-30-2021, 05:52 AM
Where I come from a large grub is about an inch long and a 1/4” in diameter. I sure hope these don’t eat grass roots. They were inside a mesquite stump below ground we dug up.

ATC King
04-17-2021, 11:20 PM
A couple people around here have these.

I heard this one before I seen it, which is pretty typical. They're very noisy.

sledcrazyinCT
04-18-2021, 10:11 AM
They call these gallinas ciega or blind hens down here.... and some people eat them.... raw! :crazy:

That is some great fishing bait right there! At least the catfish go crazy for them

ATC King
05-01-2021, 12:38 AM
Instead of the plains of the purple buffalo; a North Dakota rest stop.

coolpool
05-01-2021, 11:09 AM
^Looks like great take out food. No one would miss one would they.....lol

ATC King
05-02-2021, 12:08 AM
I you were of the Native American people in the area, when they are dispatched for various reasons, you'd get them. They do tend to wander off, into nearby rancher's fields, and that isn't a good thing.

Myself, I've ate bison a couple times in the past week. Just had some bison meatballs today.

For those who think these are cuddly animals...

I've done some bicycle riding where these guys are blocking the road, and I just wait until a car comes and goes through them.

coolpool
05-02-2021, 11:28 AM
^Yes bison meat is very nice, you're making me hungry! Love that poster!!!!! We have a hunting season north of here for the Wood Buffalo variety which is slightly different than the plains variety. The bad is the season is in January when it's frigid and requires the use of a sturdy snowmobile. 30+ wild ones were transplanted back into Banff National Park recently and everyone is waiting for the first human/animal conflict. The tourists have gotten used to the numerous elk that roam the townsite but this will have a different outcome if one of the them tries to get a selfie with one I'm afraid.

ATC King
05-03-2021, 12:45 AM
The majority of humans who visit national parks and lands, are there to appreciate things preserved for generations. The dumb ones take their number there to see if if it's up.

Some people should never get out of their vehicle outside of paved areas. Urbanism has rotted their brains.

El Camexican
05-14-2021, 09:58 PM

This one must’ve gotten into some poison, or was at the end of its lifecycle because although it was still alive it didn’t have much movement left in it. Big sucker though.

So about a month ago I got bit between my thumb and my index finger by what I believe was a small jumping spider. Started off feeling like a little pin prick that I couldn’t even locate. I thought maybe I had a sliver, but a couple hours later there was a small red bump and it felt like somebody had whacked my hand with a pipe.

The bulk of the pain subsided after a few days, but a hard red bump developed and took a couple weeks to go away. Not fun. Now I’ve got six bites on my left side that have been getting worse over the last two days. I guess winter is officially over for spiders.

ATC King
05-15-2021, 10:20 PM
What is that? It sort of looks like a tarantula, but the legs don't look thick enough. A large wolf spider?

Big, regardless. Some arachnophobia stuff for sure.

El Camexican
05-16-2021, 01:05 PM
What is that? It sort of looks like a tarantula, but the legs don't look thick enough. A large wolf spider?

Big, regardless. Some arachnophobia stuff for sure.

Not a tarantula for sure. I do believe it’s a wolf spider. They will bite, but nothing life threatening unless you have a reaction. That had to be a female as it’s the largest one I’ve seen.

El Camexican
08-04-2021, 06:30 PM
This is a new one. At least I think it’s a new one for me. Saw the massive web ad I was going down the road this morning. Must’ve spun it during the night because it was raining until at least 11 PM yesterday.

Looking closely at this last photo I can’t help but wonder if there isn’t a market for preparation H for spiders.

El Camexican
08-08-2021, 12:25 PM
My buddy to this photo one of his tomatoes,

Time to shave those legs girl!

ATC King
01-17-2022, 12:10 PM
My buddy to this photo one of his tomatoes,

Time to shave those legs girl!

Leg hair on women is natural, back hair though...that'd be tough to look at, but then again, would be something to hold on to during those humid nights in nature.

Lizards be skizzarding.

ATC King
03-12-2022, 09:31 PM

It's that time of the year. These guys are starting to move.

El Camexican
03-12-2022, 10:09 PM
Caught this guy last night. Felt like I was nine years old all over again.