PDA

View Full Version : Best way to dull new shiny plastics? 250R

Insanity Plea
01-01-2020, 09:30 AM
Some might stone me for this, but let me say I wish to only dull Maier plastics, not OEM...

I’ve purchased new Maier rear fender and front fender and I’m not crazy about the high gloss look. Also, the first time I run through some brush or wipe mud off, that new shiny look is going to turn to crappy scratched up look. Plus I’m not flashy, I’d have a tough time choosing between a nice primer gray truck vs a candy apple red truck. Best thing I’ve thought to do is rub them down with some fine grit compound, but didn’t know if anyone knew of an easier way that could produce a more even sheen. Maybe something that could be sprayed on and rinsed off?

Thanks for any ideas...

Also, where is the best area to document my 85 250R build? I’ve stripped it down and received frame back from powder coat. The oem swingarm is extended 2.375” and is currently awaiting powder coat.

Gabriel
01-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Just go ride the living shet out of it as it was intended. They'll dull themselves after a couple dozen trails. Mud...briars and low hanging limbs will give the exact 'patina' you're looking for.
You can wipe the mud off with a dry rag. That'll dull them up pretty quick.

LOL!!!

Shep1970
01-01-2020, 12:41 PM
I suppose- pumice hand cleaner would do it. (Dull the shine) wipe on rinse off...

Shep

Gabriel
01-01-2020, 02:11 PM
Might even start with tooth paste. It's easy to go more.....rough trip going back.

Red Rider
01-01-2020, 02:17 PM
Extra fine steel wool.

Insanity Plea
01-01-2020, 02:32 PM
25 years ago riding the living sh!t out of it would have been the norm, fast forward to now though and I’m lucky to get out once a month. The whole adulting part of managing a career, family, and house tends to put a kink in my time.

Gojo might work if not used with much elbow grease, toothpaste wouldn’t be much different than rubbing compound.

I’ll try to research more, everything I found earlier referred to making them from dull to shiny.

Insanity Plea
01-01-2020, 02:36 PM
Extra fine steel wool.

That might be the ticket, I’ve actually used that on aluminum wheels to get baked on brake dust off.

ironchop
01-01-2020, 03:21 PM
Rub mud on them really good. Works pretty fast too

When I was a commercial superintendent, I would rub my shiny new hard hat in the mud so I didn't look like those fancy boys like the project managers and engineers with the super shiny hard hats... That way the leads, Carpenters, other tradesmen would take me more seriously (it works)

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Jaywood1207
01-02-2020, 10:27 PM
400 grit sandpaper and a random orbit sander with a light touch.

oldskool83
01-03-2020, 08:38 AM
you dont need 400 grit...wd40 and a green scotch brite pad.