PDA

View Full Version : Looking for '85 Scrambler gearbox!

Koff87
01-25-2020, 11:55 AM
Hey guys,

I've recently picked up a Scrambler 250 that came in boxes. After throwing it together it seems the only thing not functional is the forward/reverse gearbox. At some point the chain was so loose that it had worn a hole through the case. This specific trike didn't have a tensioner inside for some reason and I would assume that replacement internals are impossible to find, so I'm looking for a complete used gearbox I can replace it with, or advice on whether something from another model will fit.

I would like to see this old girl running, so any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

-Chad

350for350
01-25-2020, 09:45 PM
I'm not sure, but you may be able to use one off of another Polaris model like a Trail Boss 250 4x2.

Koff87
02-01-2020, 07:11 PM
Yeah I'm curious if anybody has experience using one from a different model like that. Or even location on one that could be shipped.

ps2fixer
02-01-2020, 07:31 PM
Yea I think the Trail Boss 250 was a similar machine. When I was pulling vin numbers from the polaris site for my vin lookup tool/validator, the trail boss 250 was mixed in with the 3 wheeler scrambler if I recall correctly.

Partzilla works well for checking part numbers. I don't know that model very well, but I think this is the right diagram. One case half is still in production (atleast being sold), guessing you need the one that's unavaiable though. It gives you a list of machines that has the same part though.

#37 and #58 in the diagram is what I think you need. Click the part number on the right to go to the part details page and they list the models that used the part.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/polaris/atv/1986/scrambler-w867027/gearcase-assembly

The diagram I used was for an 86, I'm pretty sure an 85 was made too, so interesting that it appears they don't interchange from 85 to 86. If you're unsure what you have, pm me your VIN or engine serial and I'll search it up in my database. I can also validate if the engine number matches the frame VIN number, or find which frame/engine was the correct one for the machine. FYI, the numbers often don't match up perfectly for the last 6.

Koff87
02-03-2020, 02:22 PM
Awesome, thanks! It's a good start. Maybe I'll cross reference the gearbox numbers between the two models and get an idea of which trail boss used the same gearbox. It's internal parts that are FUBAR'd so I'll likely try to find a good used box to swap over. Thanks again guys!