PDA

View Full Version : Local News Channel Attacks ATV Dealers - Children

TimSr
02-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Yep, Clevelands WEWS Channle 5 news "investigative" team is at it again, "investigating" "childrens" deaths on adult ATVs. You can guess the coverage. Footage of small children on large ATVs crashing, exploiting preventable tragedies, and then taking an unshown "undercover" family with a 13 year old "child" who was probbably 6' tall, and asking dealers what quad they recommeneded. I was outraged. They have a dicussion forum for whish you do a quick email registration to get on. They want to make the CPSC's age recommendations LAW. Hope you guys under sixteen enjoy riding your Raptor 80's! My comments are published, but I also sent them an email requestiong a debate against their "experts" facts and statistics. I dont expect a reply. The vast majority of the comments reamed them for their bias, and most of those came from members of pitracer.com but Id like to see them swamped! Please take a moment, register and post your comments.

http://www.newsnet5.com/station/2859275/detail.html

KASEY
02-21-2004, 01:18 PM
I DID,,,but after i made a comment it says your post is being sent to a moderator for review before it is posted to the board!!! AND we reserve the right to delete any or all of your post,,, TALK ABOUT CENSORSHIP!!!!

TimSr
02-21-2004, 02:06 PM
It takes about a day, but they took out my challenge to allow me a public rebuttal! Im sure theyll cup up comments but I want them to see overwhelming disgust both with their biased coverage, but even better, a huge majority who is against their propposed law. By the way they worded teh question is was obvious they were expecting a wide range of knee jerk support from people who think with emotions instead of using their head. I can see them revieweing this now, saying "I dont understand it", maybe we should make the question a little more biased, to get the right answer, like "do you support children dying on ATVs?" or something.

REDMAN225
02-21-2004, 05:00 PM
you said it Tim!!!

REDMAN225
02-21-2004, 05:30 PM
hey tim, i was right in the middle of typing a reply and the window closed on me! i lost the whole thing! i'll try again and make it shorter. theres just so much i want to say.

TeCaTe_MaN
02-21-2004, 06:36 PM
these people make me sick....i was riding when i was 13 i was riding my tecate at 15 i have never had an "out of control wreck" sure there have been accidents, like the going off the razorback thing....didnt see it thiu, it isnt the ATV/ATC's fault it's trhe riders fault for getting on it and not having the skills to handle it... :?

J.D.
02-21-2004, 07:11 PM
If I had to ride a 90CC ATV, I would quit with ATV's all together. That is complete BS. I got past the 90CC stage when I was 8, thank you very much.

TeCaTe_MaN
02-21-2004, 09:29 PM
exactly...when i was like 12 a raptor 80 woulda been lame....it woulda been fun bit not as fun as a 200x :D

there shouldnt ever be a situation like what there doing having cases of just 8-9 year old kids riding suped-to-hell drag banshees and stuff...

when i was at the dunes there was this musta been 8 yr old girl on a piped banshee i almost stopped and asked the father what he was thinking...

ATC crazy
02-21-2004, 09:44 PM
If I had to ride a 90CC ATV, I would quit with ATV's all together. That is complete BS. I got past the 90CC stage when I was 8, thank you very much.

What are you talking about....I cant even FIT on a 90!!! My knees hit the front fender and handlebars when I am sitting on the rear plastic!!

...Much less have it pull me up any kind of grade hill. (265lbs)

I agree though...if it came to that, I would give up ATV'ing and go to dirtbikes again.

I just hate people that blame the ATV, and not their stupid A$$es. :evil: I get so mad that I dont even watch the news coverage on ATV's....

timex69
02-25-2004, 10:24 PM
you have to be 14 to ride any dirt bike on PEI..i'd like to see my 5"11 150 LB 14 year old @$$ on a little XR50..it wouldnt even move lol...i mean come on if they dont want young kids rideing small atvs they shouldnt make them they know damn well people are gonna ride like 200CC atvs trailprotrailpro their 16...im 14 and im riding a 200 blaster and i want more power. People are just so stupid these days...and sue happy. Let me tell ya's a story..i was driving on a trail and a 4 wheeler came around a corner and nipped my front fender and cracked it..they stopped to talk and i said just give me $10 and we'll froget the whole thing and he goes yer not gonna sue me are ya and i said froget that GD word or im gonna charge u more.

I hate all this sueing its nonsense.
al

TimSr
02-26-2004, 12:04 AM
Its funny, I got on some local ATV sites, and they flooded them with postings on their on-line poll. Right now its about 200-1 of people telling these guys to go back to journalism school. Some people from this site posted comments too, and we thanks you.
Now for the real kicker - normally channel 5 cant wait to broadcast the results on their online poll, but in this case they have remained totally silent, and have not even acknowledged poll results. I have emailed them every day asking when they intend to air their online poll results at investigators@newsnet5.com . So far I have gotten no response. If you guys have a moment to spare, feel free to put some heat on them to report their poll results via email, or visit www.wews.com ,click on "investigate" and participate in their poll.