PDA

View Full Version : Ran 1 mile this morning.......

Scootertrash
03-31-2020, 10:53 AM
Holy sh!t am I in need of cardio!

I work concrete construction, so I do get plenty of physical exercise, just not cardio.

There is a significant change in elevation about 1/2 way, I walked over the top of the hill both directions. 13 minute mile.

Arky-X
03-31-2020, 01:34 PM
If you are old-ish like me, I have to take time off from running to rest the body. I can run 2, maybe 3, days in a row but I have to take a day off. I can't go 6-7 days/week like I used to.
Start with a mile this week a few times then add on a 1/4 mile next week. For me, temperature drives my pace more than distance. I can run 4 miles any given day but if it is over 90F.....my feet are barely moving.

Keep it up. I know I feel better and stay focused during the day when I exercise in the morning.

DAM shop
03-31-2020, 02:13 PM
I am 57 and started to workout about 6 months ago due to an old herniated disc that robbed me of all my muscle and upper body mobility. I was tired of being tired and in pain 24/7. Went to P.t for 5 weeks and now I am working out strength training 3 x per week. Getting bigger and stronger, my energy level has gone way up and my fatigue is pretty much gone. I feel great, look great and can honestly say I am now a gym rat. So with all of our gyms closed I was forced to make a makeshift gym at my work. Bricks on a pipe serve as my barbell. A pipe across a stack of chairs serves for inverted rows. A long pipe with spoils of heavy wire in a corner serves as a landmine. A pipe across two 8’ step ladders is my pull up bar.

ATC King
03-31-2020, 02:44 PM
Keep it up!

I haven't been cycling as much as I used to, but staying active is the number one way to feel good and be energized.

When I've had bicycle commutes to work, I was ready to go when I got there, while everyone else wanted to sit around, drink coffee and BS for half an hour before lifting a finger. It drove me nuts, because I had to do something besides sit there. A couple of the places I've lived and biked to work, had mountain bike trails that I'd ride on my way or before going home.

If the majority of Americans practiced proper diet and exercise, the majority of doctors would be out of business.

90nut
03-31-2020, 06:02 PM
I'm a operator, i.e. sit on my hind end most of the day. I still do a fair amount of concrete work, but like you said that doesn't do much for the cardio department. I cant run, I can barely ride a bike without my knees feeling like death. Could be related to the years of motocross, maybe all the stamped concrete I did, or other things. But, I do sweat it out and do some mountain biking, I also have a sub par stationary bike, then toss in some push ups, and that's my exercise regimen. Not great by any means but better than most. Gotta keep that old heart a pumping!

Scootertrash
03-31-2020, 08:43 PM
I'm 60 in April.

I'm a laborer/carpenter at work, so I get a variety of exercise.

The wife was kinda surprised how quickly I got back, she predicted I would do more walking then I did. The hill was a killer but I'm going to keep going that way for this week, then I'll change direction next week. There is a hill in that direction also, but with a more gradual decline on the opposite side.

Since I'm off for a couple weeks, at least, for the Wu Tang Flu Shelter-In-Place I figured I need to change up my exercise routine.

DAM shop
03-31-2020, 09:53 PM
Dam we’re a bunch of old guys. Well I say good for us. Keep it up guy’s, this is what gets the doers up out of bed everyday.

keister
04-01-2020, 02:05 PM
A long pipe with spoils of heavy wire in a corner serves as a landmine.

Say what???

Scootertrash
04-01-2020, 02:31 PM
Say what???

I was wondering the same thing.....:wondering

Arky-X
04-01-2020, 05:10 PM
Say what???

I'm guessing this;

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-5-essential-landmine-exercises.html

DAM shop is serious!

DAM shop
04-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Hahaha, :lol::lol::lol: 6 months ago I had no idea what it was either. :lol: It’s a great and easy piece of equipment. Squats, overhead presses, upright rows.
262124. 262125

El Camexican
04-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Your post made me laugh Scooter.

About 14 years ago my sister came down here about the same time as I started skating again. I’d been slowly jogging around the local park for the past couple weeks, but nothing I’d want filmed if you know what I mean.

Sis (younger) works out on treadmills and does some running at home since she decided to get into shape years before. So we go for a morning jog and she kindly keeps my pace for about ¾ of the way around the park when suddenly she says: “Time to do something I always wanted to do, beat you at a race!” and takes off. Well cr*p, can’t have that, so I dropped 2 gears, went after her and passed her with a couple yards to go. She couldn’t believe it….

I turned left at the finish line and managed to stumble some 30’ to a bench and fell onto it. Sat there dizzy, black spots in my eyes with the muscles under my jaw tight as violin strings gasping for air. I remember her repeatedly yelling “are you okay??!?!?!” as my eyes were probably rolling into the back of my skull. When I could finally blurt out a few words they were: “ I…. I….. I…. I’m….. st….. sti…. still….f ..fff…. fa….faster…..th… th…. than YOU!”For the record I’ve decided screw exercise, I’m saving my energy for when I’m old (er).

Scootertrash
04-02-2020, 07:19 AM
That's some funny sh!t El!!:lol::lol::beer

200xman
04-02-2020, 07:14 PM
Holy sh!t am I in need of cardio!

I work concrete construction, so I do get plenty of physical exercise, just not cardio.

There is a significant change in elevation about 1/2 way, I walked over the top of the hill both directions. 13 minute mile.

Been ramping up the cardio lately also power walking with the dog. You must have short legs because I walk between a 13-14 minute mile.:lol:

Scootertrash
04-03-2020, 07:29 AM
I guess technically I wasn't really "running", I was jogging, and I wasn't trying to make good time. I haven't run any kind of distance in over 40 years, 20 of that I was a smoker, and 30 years of my life I've worked in dusty conditions, all of which have taken a toll on my lungs.

I plan on keeping up with the running and keeping track of my time to see what kind of improvement I get. The last time I "ran" a mile was in high schoo lback in 75-78. If memeory serves me correctly I was doing around a 5-5:30 min mile. I never have been much of a track star. ;)

Ran Tues and Wed, skipped yesterday, I'll run again today.

ironchop
04-03-2020, 09:06 AM
...... I haven't run any kind of distance in over 40 years, 20 of that I was a smoker, and 30 years of my life I've worked in dusty conditions, all of which have taken a toll on my lungs.

Same here... Machinist, then commercial/industrial Carpenter, then welder/fabricator, back to commercial construction, back to Machining.

I also smoked and dipped tobacco up until 7/25/2012 which was the day I quit all that cold turkey.

My lungs will need 20yrs to heal from all that smoke, dust, and airborne coolant/metal particles. I was doing cardio 5 days a week until a year ago I started slacking off some. Now my gym is shutdown and so are the parks with jogging/walking trails, so I'm going to need to start exercising at home more often.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Scootertrash
04-03-2020, 10:28 AM
I live in a rural area on an approx 3 mile long road between a county road and a highway and we live close to the middle so I just jog out my driveway and choose left or right, I rarely see a car. Once I get in shape from road running I plan on jogging the deer hunting/ATV trails behind our houses. They are not smooth by any stretch of the imagination, but I figure it will help to build up other areas of my legs and ankles and probably help with core strength. I have weights at the house as well as a TRXforce set up that I bought a few years ago and never used :D:rolleyes:

The hard part will be forcing myself to continue after I get back to work. 8-10 hours of construction work takes it's toll by itself, but it's the 45min-1 hour drive home that saps my ambition for exercise except for maybe curling a couple of 12oz Michelobs . :beer

ironchop
04-03-2020, 10:44 AM
I live in a rural area on an approx 3 mile long road between a county road and a highway and we live close to the middle so I just jog out my driveway and choose left or right, I rarely see a car. ...... :beer

Small fkn world!

Same here, eleven miles outside of downtown. My little country road is just off 231 (4 lane highway), is only a couple miles long and tees into another county road.

The difference is my road is a lane and a half wide and has blind hills all over it. People cut thru our road that don't live on it and they drive way too fast, so people are afraid to walk it or let their kids ride bikes on it.

It was nice until developers bought up the local farms and now my backyard that was woods and ATV trails is becoming a subdivision so we are looking to move away from here. "Development at all costs" is the mantra of our county leaders. It's all about that revenue

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

DAM shop
04-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Haven’t gotten into the cardio work yet. I am still a smoker so it really test my reserves when I try. I do some rowing at the gym but holy cow that really gets the cardio going.

Scootertrash
04-03-2020, 11:30 AM
This is my "neighborhood", West of 169 and East of Elk Lake Road, South of 25. We are surrounded by sod farms and low land/swamp land and sod farms (high water table and peat, excellent for sod), there is also some general farm land to the east which the owner has put into a conservation easement, they are tree huggers but not too terrible about it. there is also a couple of areas designated as park space. Very little land left for building. :beer

The creek between our road and the freeway is a blast in the winter, but it only freezes over for about a month or so due to the peat soil and the heat it generates. It's the last thing to freeze and the first to thaw. We'll jump on the wheelers and head south to that small lake, build a fire and roast hot dogs, smores and have a couple beers.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/239th+Ave+NW,+Minnesota/@45.3937906,-93.601842,4761m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x52b37cbf05395d0f:0x931a6 bb339f156e2!8m2!3d45.404514!4d-93.6853672

If you zoom in on the homes to the northwest of the road (239th Ave) you can see the trails behind the houses. OPSEC prevents me from pinpointing my location :) :naughty: