PDA

View Full Version : 84 200es no spark where to start??

snowmoboyle
04-04-2020, 09:36 PM
Any tips on where to start or common issues?

ironchop
04-05-2020, 04:44 PM
Check your coil ground and your ignition switches. Also check that your spark plug boot is securely screwed into the cool wire. It might help to trim 1/4 off the wire so the boot can have fresh wire to screw into.

First though, I would check for power thru the switches and ground continuity.

Apparently, the CDI boxes are known to go bad in the 84 200ES but I would check everything else first before you buy a CDI

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Jkoht
04-08-2020, 09:04 PM
When I lost spark on my 185s I replaced every electrical component hoping it wasn't the primary stator, but in the end that's what it was.

snowmoboyle
04-19-2020, 08:46 AM
Well my 12 yr old and I started working on it yesterday. Have a standard ohm meter, not digital and I'll be honest I am not familiar with using one etc. I had found a thread on bigreds.com I believe where a guy had same ATC 200es and wrote out how to check etc. We ended up with a light spark somehow lol. But wouldn't fire. And then it was gone again so going to order some parts and go from there.

shortline10
04-19-2020, 10:26 AM
It’s usually the CDI on that model if everything else checks out ok , tap on it with the plastic end of a screw driver while turning the motor over and see if it does anything . Another common issue is the black wire at the coil make sure it has a very good connection , also remove the spark plug cap and lay the wire on the head to check for spark .
CDI’s have parts that have a shelf life like capacitors that just go bad over time or internal cold solder joints .