PDA

View Full Version : 200x revving high and blowing oil

khylenb
04-16-2020, 12:50 PM
Hi all! Im after some help if possible!

Recently bought this 200x from fleabay. Paid £700 ($860). They rarely come up here in the UK so thought I'd pay the high price as been after one to go with my 87 250es. The guy said it ran fine...hmmm. To be fair, upon closer look, it is a lot more ropier than I would have liked. Needs new brakes front and back, a whole new exhaust, 3 new tyres and front and rear sprockets. But hey, as long as I get the thing going then I'll be quite happy to bomb around the farm with no brakes (maybe not no exhaust!).

Couldn't get it started so cleaned carb and changed spark plug. After a few kicks it started and was virtually revving at full revs. Sounded like the whole thing was going to blow up! I cleaned carb again but still the same. I tried the idle screw on carb, but it does nothing to lower the revs, whether its fully screwed in or anyway between fully screwed out! More worryingly, I've now noticed that is is blowing oil from the plug on the top of the engine. The oil level is very low on the dip stick.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks, Khylen

khylenb
04-16-2020, 02:26 PM

shortline10
04-16-2020, 03:05 PM
Check the intake manifold for leaks , theirs an o-ring were it bolts to the head , Also make sure that it doesn’t have dry rot.
Only other thing maybe your installing the carburetor slide 180 degrees out , needs to be in the slide grove .

As for the blowing oil or smoke it could need the topend rebuilt or maybe the rings are stuck or cylinder glazed over .
Get it running properly and it might stop smoking after running it a while .

khylenb
04-16-2020, 04:19 PM
Many many thanks for the reply.

The intake manifold is looking pretty old! The, what appears to be a plastic coating around the manifold, has started to fray where the bolts are. I've tried to get a spanner in there to remove the manifold but it's rather a tight space!
I'm pretty sure I have the carb slide in the correct way, as I lined up the screws with the gaps to ensure it fits.

I was fearing it may be something to do with the o rings or a piston rebuild. Cant say I've ever done anything like this so the prospect doesn't fill me with glee! It may sound strange, but there was a plastic cap on a nut that was next to the top engine blow out hole. In my infinite wisdom, I put this over the blow out hole and the engine revs reduced and it sounded somewhat normal. There is no smoke coming from the hole, or exhaust, just oil spitting out of the hole.

350for350
04-16-2020, 08:28 PM
The plastic cap came off of the top of your cam chain tensioner. The hole that has oil coming out of it is the crankcase vent. It is easy to get the slide in backwards, or 180 degrees off like shortline said. If this happens, it's really hard to tell from the outside of the carb. What happens is that the slide now won't go all the way down and it lets more air into the engine which causes it to run faster than an idle. If it makes you feel any better, the trikes that I find are usually in about the same condition as yours.

khylenb
04-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Took your guys advice and had another look at the carb slider. Although I did have to carb slider in the correct way, I had some how managed to screw the thumb throttle adjuster bolt on the handlebars all the way our. This ment that the carb slider was not going all the way to the bottom. Once rectified, it started right up and was purring...just about!!

Topped it up with some oil and took it for a spin! Safe to say it’s a lot quicker than my 87 big red!! However it is still spitting oil from the crankcase blow hole. It is not blowing smoke, not from the exhaust or blow hole, just blowing out oil. I don’t want to do an oil change and waste money on oil only for it to be blown out of the hole! Any suggestions? Many thanks

HorseMcHorseman
04-18-2020, 02:03 AM
There is a tube / rubber hose that should be on the crankcase vent. i don’t personally have a 200x and machines can be different but commonly the hose will connect to the air box

deejaycee_2000
04-19-2020, 04:37 AM
It could be that you added too much oil, double check the level then adjust as needed.

shortline10
04-19-2020, 06:28 AM
The only reason that crank case breather would be blowing oil is if it has to much oil , bad oil , say gas mixed in with it or the piston has blow by and causing to much crank case pressure . The hose on this model doesn’t connect to the air box , it just goes straight up about 10” and then uturns down another 4” .
Just change the oil , probably doing more harm to that motor if the oil is bad .