PDA

View Full Version : 85 atc 70 locked up tranny.

Russman1986
05-03-2020, 05:54 PM
Have done some research, just can't find a answer. I was riding my 70 around and put it in neutral, next thing I know after shifting to 1st the tires locked up. From what I have been reading the shifter drum is a problem on them. When I shift up or down I can still see the gear selector move. I also can hear the drum rotate. The motor runs fine still. I tried to rock it back and forth but nothing. Took the chain cover off to make sure it wasn't binding. If anyone has any idea i would appreciate it. I just do not want to crack that case open if it is something easy I'm overlooking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

shortline10
05-03-2020, 07:29 PM
Are you sure it’s not the rear brake shoes locking the rear axle up ?

Russman1986
05-03-2020, 08:01 PM
Hell ya man! I never thought of that. I replaced them years ago. Something happened to them. That drum was hard as hell to get off. Had to use 2 pry bars. Thats why I always get a 2nd opinion. I owe you a beer at trikefest my friend.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ATC King
05-03-2020, 08:50 PM
Are you sure it’s not the rear brake shoes locking the rear axle up ?

Absolutely great advice!

I've personally had this happen and seen others. The most relevant story I have is a guy who done a top end rebuild on a 125 for someone and about a week later the owner brought it back saying the engine locked up. NOPE! It was the brake lining had come off the shoes and locked the axle so it wouldn't turn in either direction. Took a large amount of prying to remove the brake drum they were so stuck in there.

Many times, things are just coincidence, like just because the engine got worked on doesn't mean that must be the problem.