PDA

View Full Version : 250SX problem..........

10-04-2002, 12:48 PM
I have an 85 250SX that has a problem that came up out of nowhere. It ran fine to load on a trailer but when I went to unload it, the rear wheels were locked up. The gears work fine, at least when I switch I get a bit of forward motion, but like I said, the wheels just lock up. You can also hear just a bit of metal to metal clicking which seems to come from the axle. Anyone have any suggestions on where I should start?

Please help!

Shaky

250SX
10-04-2002, 01:50 PM
check the brake shoes first. that's the more likely (and cheaper) problem if they just came loose inside the drum.

Howdy
10-04-2002, 02:18 PM
Did this machine make a little clicking sound while riding it before loading it?
I have seen quite a few drive shafts fail and lock up the rear wheels.

10-04-2002, 02:40 PM
My son said he was riding it that afternoon and couldnt get it to move, so he put it in neutral, turned it off, started it back up and it ran good back to the house. And also, sometimes it will move a bit in reverse or sometimes forward before locking up again, though it didnt move much past 2 or 3 feet one direction or the other. I never noticed any clicking sounds before this happened, its been a real solid machine and for the last 5 or 6 months been ridden real easy.

shaky

skippy
10-04-2002, 03:59 PM
how is the oil in the machine? filled? clean?

10-04-2002, 04:14 PM
Oil is filled and clean, gear box lube is the same. Engine starts and runs like a charm. One push and she is purring.

shaky

Alan250sx
10-04-2002, 04:19 PM
what about the parking brake...could it be stuck ?

Howdy
10-04-2002, 04:42 PM
Do the tires move at all?

Here is what I would do:
Lift the rear tires off the ground and put a block under the rear axle. Then try turning the tires one way then the other. Listen for any bad sounds. If there is a sound ( thud sorta noise ) coming from right behind the motor ( around the rubber boot ) it's probably the universal joint.

If there is a bad sound is coming from some where else let us know.

From my working on these achines My best guesstimate is the universal joint gave out.

10-05-2002, 12:56 PM
Brake shoes were the culprit! The linings had come off the shoes and had the whole shebang jammed up tight! WHEW!

thanks for the help guys!

shaky

250SX
10-05-2002, 08:05 PM
I'm just glad that's all it was. Those rear diff.'s are pretty strong, but when they go out it's a big PITA.