PDA

View Full Version : The 2019-2020 Stanley Cup Playoff Challenge

El Camexican
07-31-2020, 07:33 PM
Guess we could call this the Corona Cup as well.

I put a call in to Bettman to ask how we should do this, but so far no answer. I propose we wait till the wildcard games are over and then use the same format as last year. All in favor?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

That's what I thought. Rules are below, plenty of time to get ready.

HOW TO PLAY:

Anyone can play. Gather points by picking winners using the method of your choice.

POINTS SYSTEM:
As with previous years I will post a list of pairings for each round. Participants will copy paste and post the list as well as type in a winner and how many of the scheduled 7 games they feel it will take for their pick to get to 4 wins, but again this year to lessen the chance of a tie there are additional points for those who wish to pick Conference winners and a Cup winner at the onset of the playoffs for 5 extra points of each correct Conference pick and 10 for the Cup winner to be added to your totals at the end of the playoffs. You may feel dirty picking a team you don’t like to win, but it’s the only way to make points at times.

- Pick your Conference winners (5 points each) and Cup winner (10 points) for up to 20 points
- The first round awards 1 point for picking a winner and 1 point for picking how many games it took the selected team to win the series. Max points for the first round is 16
- The second round awards 2 points for picking a winner and 2 points for picking how many games it took the selected team to win the series. Max points for the second round is 16
- The third round awards 4 points for picking a winner and 4 points for picking how many games it took the selected team to win the series. Max points for the third round is 16
- The final awards 8 points for picking the winner and 8 points for picking how many games it took the selected team to win the series. Max points for the second round is 16

El Camexican
08-10-2020, 07:29 PM
Here we go boys!

WEST
Black Hawks VS Golden Knights
Flames VS Stars
Canucks VS Blues
Coyotes VS Avalanche

EAST
Capitals VS Islanders
Canadians VS Flyers
Blue Jackets VS Lightning
Hurricanes VS Bruins

El Camexican
08-10-2020, 07:31 PM
West
Black Hawks VS Golden Knights – Vegas in 4
Flames VS Stars – Stars in 7
Canucks VS Blues – Blues in 6
Coyotes VS Avalanche – Aves in 7

East
Capitals VS Islanders – Caps in 5
Canadians VS Flyers – Flyers in 6
Blue Jackets VS Lightning – Columbus in 7
Hurricanes VS Bruins – Canes in 7

West – Blues
East – Caps

Stanley Cup - Blues

bkm
08-10-2020, 08:07 PM
WEST

Black Hawks VS Golden Knights
Knights in 5

Flames VS Stars
Flames in 6

Canucks VS Blues
Canucks in 6

Coyotes VS Avalanche
Avalanche in 4

EAST

Capitals VS Islanders
Caps in 6

Canadians VS Flyers
Flyers in 7

Blue Jackets VS Lightning
Jackets in 7

Hurricanes VS Bruins
Bruins in 5

West
Colorado

East
Flyers

Cup
Avalanche

keister
08-11-2020, 01:09 PM
EAST
Philly in 6
Tampa in 4
Washington in 6
Carolina in 7

WEST
Vegas in 6
Colorado in 6
Dallas in 7
St. Louis in 5

EAST - Tampa Bay
WEST - St. Louis

CUP - Pittsburgh!..... just kidding Tampa Bay.

Mr. Clean
08-11-2020, 05:31 PM
West

Knights in 7
Stars in 7
Blues in 7
Coyotes in 6

East
Lightning in 7
Islanders in 7
Flyers in 7
Bruins in 7

East

Ning

West

Coyotes

Coyotes will hoist Lord Stanley’s Jock strap I mean Cup over my beloved Ning

El Camexican
08-11-2020, 08:07 PM
West

Knights in 7
Stars in 7
Blues in 7
Coyotes in 6

East
Lightning in 7
Islanders in 7
Flyers in 7
Bruins in 7

East

Ning

West

Coyotes

Coyotes will hoist Lord Stanley’s Jock strap I mean Cup over my beloved Ning

OMG!!! Where have you been man?!?!?

El Camexican
08-22-2020, 10:34 PM
Sorry guys, got behind. Will posts stats later.

For now I’m taking
Colorado in 7
Boston in 6
Vegas in 5
Flyers in 7

Good luck!

bkm
08-23-2020, 01:03 PM
Avalanche in 6

Knights in 4

Ning in 6

Isles in 6

Mr. Clean
08-23-2020, 02:58 PM
Coloweedo in 5

Lost wages in 5

Cuomos kids in 5

Ning in 6

El Camexican
08-24-2020, 12:10 AM
Peeps?????

keister
08-24-2020, 12:30 PM
Oops! I didn't realize the second round had started. Honestly, not even following this year.
I am not even watching baseball this year, and I'm a huge baseball fan.....errr, used to be, I guess.

Full disclosure, I do know Vegas won game 1, but don't know any other results.
Personally think I should be DQ'd, but since it's just for fun anyway:

Philly in 4
Tampa in 7
Vegas in 5
Dallas in 7

El Camexican
08-24-2020, 08:05 PM
Oops! I didn't realize the second round had started. Honestly, not even following this year.

Don’t worry about it, no one posted until after the game was over. This Corona Cup thing sucks the big moose weanie.

So anyways, after round one:

BKM – 8 (made big points shamelessly betting against his own team)
Mr. Clean – 6 (picked all four winners on the East side and remains the only participant with his team in the running)
Keister – 6 (still thinks the Pens have a chance)
El Camexican – 4 (sucks at this)

El Camexican
08-29-2020, 09:47 PM
Just an FYI, this is my last year for this guys. What we saw these past two days has ended my support and passion for NHL hockey.

Just as the players did what they felt was right, I too am doing what my heart tells me is the right thing to do and ending my support for pro hockey.

I was brought up to finish what I started, so I will see this season to the end in terms of posting choices and points on here, but then I’m done.

If someone wants to take this over next year please feel free.

God bless.

Mr. Clean
08-30-2020, 10:05 AM
Just an FYI, this is my last year for this guys. What we saw these past two days has ended my support and passion for NHL hockey.

Just as the players did what they felt was right, I too am doing what my heart tells me is the right thing to do and ending my support for pro hockey.

I was brought up to finish what I started, so I will see this season to the end in terms of posting choices and points on here, but then I’m done.

If someone wants to take this over next year please feel free.

God bless.

AMEN, I am very disappointed in the NHL and players.

ironchop
08-30-2020, 01:16 PM
Yeah I'm done with sports in general, as well... Although I did start watching international soccer games. They aren't crying or kneeling or talking about the political climate in Spain or Chile or Germany

If I wanted to watch politics, then I would watch C-SPAN. I don't, so I won't be watching sports either.

There's just something about millionaire athletes with free university educations crying about fake oppression as an attempt to be socially relevant that rubs me the wrong way. To each his own, but the entire point of sports was to be entertaining and totally divorced from socio-political issues.

BLM already won The Stanley Cup this year

Aulbaugh
09-04-2020, 07:47 PM
Yeah I don’t blame you one bit for wanting to walk away! I too have been disappointed with most all major sports. About the only sport I watch is the UFC and NHL. I’m hangin on a thread though with the NHL.

Go Stars!

El Camexican
09-05-2020, 11:00 PM
I’ll try to get the points up before Wednesday.

My picks are Dallas in 7 and Tampa 5

Good luck.

Mr. Clean
09-06-2020, 11:00 AM
Stars and Stripes in 7

Cuomos homos in 7

El Camexican
09-06-2020, 11:23 AM
Stars and Stripes in 7

Cuomos homos in 7

Scared of jinxing your boys?

2 minutes for political incorrectness for the homo thing! :lol:

Mr. Clean
09-06-2020, 03:17 PM
Scared of jinxing your boys?

2 minutes for political incorrectness for the homo thing! :lol:

Yeah, it’s my strategery for winning this competition :)

Is it a 2 minute minor or five minute major penalty, thinking the refs need to review the play :wondering

El Camexican
09-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Yeah, it’s my strategery for winning this competition :)

Is it a 2 minute minor or five minute major penalty, thinking the refs need to review the play :wondering

2 minutes for daring to doubt the men in stripes.

Bryan bet against his team all the way to the Cup last year, it’s a proven strategy.

keister
09-08-2020, 08:25 AM
Vegas in 7
Tampa in 7

Dirtcrasher
09-09-2020, 03:02 PM
Did the NHL also support BLM, you know, the Democrats??

If so, that'll be another one on my list - C YA!!

El Camexican
09-09-2020, 10:13 PM
Did the NHL also support BLM, you know, the Democrats??

If so, that'll be another one on my list - C YA!!

Yep, they had to take two days off to show support for BLM. Like I wasn’t embarrassed enough already by Jim Carey and Neil Young.

Personally I think people who like three wheelers are oppressed. We were “canceled” before it became fashionable.

Mr. Clean
09-18-2020, 12:14 AM
This is perfect. The last time the lightning won the Stanley Cup the league went on strike the next season. I vowed never to watch and did not until a couple years ago. Now the entire league has supported a fringe organization that is not aligned in my humble opinion with proper empirical values. I don’t care if they win or lose, I will watch the finals in the background while in the garage working on trikes or 57 Chevys but no more after that.

El Camexican
09-18-2020, 07:49 AM
I’m taking Dallas in 7 and betting that Mr. C is glued to the set during the 7th game. I might be too. Good luck Joey!

Will put the points up ASAP.

Mr. Clean
09-18-2020, 08:53 AM
Who shot J.R? In 6....

El Camexican
09-18-2020, 07:35 PM
Who shot J.R? In 6....

You’d better hope it was Stamkos.

El Camexican
09-22-2020, 07:32 PM
Sorry for the delay of game, life's been getting in the way.

So after the Second Round standings we were as follows:

BKM – 14 (tied with Keister)
Mr. Clean – 12 (still has skin in the game!)
Keister – 14 (tied with BKM)
El Camexican – 6 (OMG)

… and after the Third Round standings:

BKM – 14 (out for the season with an undisclosed injury)
Mr. Clean – 21 (Willing to take one for his team as the nuts start to crunch)
Keister – 23 (MIA? Hope all is well))
El Camexican – 14 (With the competition dropping like flies, still has a chance at tying for third!)

Had to update this. Keister and Mr. C both had Tampa winning the East for 5 extra points.

El Camexican
09-26-2020, 08:40 AM
For anyone who hasn’t been doing the metrics the Bolts are just one click from torquing the Cup home. Fans must be going nuts reading this thread. I don’t want to put a hex on them, but if they don’t made the grade tonight Dallas might strip them of a victory. If any wants to washer’ they can turn on the TV at 7:00pm standard time. Would be gut wrenching to see it go to OT again.

El Camexican
09-28-2020, 10:55 PM
BKM – 14
Mr. Clean – 21
Keister – 33 - 2021 Winner!!!
El Camexican – 14