PDA

View Full Version : Need someones help that knows about computers

short4stuff
02-23-2004, 07:58 PM
I need help with internet explorer, it seems that any page that I try to load I get the "cannot find server" does anyone know why?

I am on dial-up I made sure I was working online, and I have reinstalled explorer, and have used the repair option ... still wont go... right now I am using kazaa to surf ...

anyone I would like to get this fixed asap.

Thanks, Chris

TeCaTe_MaN
02-23-2004, 08:59 PM
sounds like an internal problem with your internet modem not wanting to run it...looks like you can go into it alot, probrably end up spending a good amount of money, or you can use kazaa as your new browser :D

bigred110
02-23-2004, 09:22 PM
You might need a new modem, about $20.
Click on tools on ie then click internet options then connections and if your internet provider is in the box double click on it and make sure that the proxy server is not click on, or if it's not click on LAN settings and make sure that the first 2 options don't have a check mark next to them.
Another thing you can do is try to reinstall windows.

Billy Golightly
02-23-2004, 09:31 PM
I doubt you need a new modem, the Kazaa web surfer uses internet explorer (If you've ever noticed the error pages are the same). I would totally uninstall (Unless you got Win2k/XP in which case you can't...). If you got WinXP/2k the guarunteed sure fire way of doing it is fdisk C: and reinstall windows :D

renotrikeguy
02-23-2004, 10:24 PM
I had the same problem back when I had dial-up.

you need to make sure your modem has ipx/spx - netbui - and tcp/ip protocols assigned to it in the modem properties screen. If not then the only thing you will be able to do is dial into your provider.

short4stuff
02-23-2004, 10:51 PM
I had the same problem back when I had dial-up.

you need to make sure your modem has ipx/spx - netbui - and tcp/ip protocols assigned to it in the modem properties screen. If not then the only thing you will be able to do is dial into your provider.

i went to what i believe is the modem properties, and i did not see all of those settings.

atctim
02-24-2004, 10:19 AM
I work for an ISP and I see that this happens when your computer is "Ganked Up" with spyware. Have you run any anti-spyware applications such as Adaware 6.0 or Spybot S&D lately?? Often all of the spyware applications running fails to give you enough bandwidth (with dial up - DSL is different) to even open a single page. Have someone download Adaware 630 and burn to a CD, then run it and see what happens. 9 times out of 10 this fixes the problem that I see you are having. Also, what is your connection speed when you are "hooked"?