PDA

View Full Version : price of trikes

kawzilla
09-21-2020, 10:25 PM
My first post.
I just became a member,the help on this site has been great and hope I can share.
About myself-Bought a KLT 200 20 years ago. Took it apart,slacked,then bought another one.Still slacked,a friend
gave me a KLT 250.
FINALLY- I got my behind in gear and built Kawzilla ,1983-Kawaski KLT 200C1.She turned out great,need to figure out how to show pics.
I built this to work,Kawzilla is not body wise period correct,but her mechanicals are.She will be used for ice fishing ,all know the 3 wheeler beats on quad on snow,hands down!

Anyone else notice the price of 3 wheelers has gone thru the roof lately?
The last 3 weeks finding a major move on the cost.
Enjoy feedback on this-

6bt
09-21-2020, 10:39 PM
It's nuts. It's not just trikes, all toys, atv's, bikes. It's been this way since April or so. I had a beat up 1998 sportsman 500 I threw on marketplace for $1950. Gone in 2 hours for $1900. I already own most of what I want, but won't turn down a pre-covid smokin deal. Original goal was to purchase a Yamaha TDR 250, and wr500 this summer. But also ended up with a wr200, ke250, kt250 and it200.

I'm not done buying, just waiting for deals.
Part of me has also thought about cashing in and selling the collection as well.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

agedatc
09-21-2020, 10:58 PM
My first post.
I just became a member,the help on this site has been great and hope I can share.
About myself-Bought a KLT 200 20 years ago. Took it apart,slacked,then bought another one.Still slacked,a friend
gave me a KLT 250.
FINALLY- I got my behind in gear and built Kawzilla ,1983-Kawaski KLT 200C1.She turned out great,need to figure out how to show pics.
I built this to work,Kawzilla is not body wise period correct,but her mechanicals are.She will be used for ice fishing ,all know the 3 wheeler beats on quad on snow,hands down!

Anyone else notice the price of 3 wheelers has gone thru the roof lately?
The last 3 weeks finding a major move on the cost.
Enjoy feedback on this-Lots of groups out there nowadays. I'm seeing premium prices brought on both gens of 200x, any year atc 70, and especially 3rd gen 250r. There seems to be more than a few guys out there wanting to restore to oem which is driving already high part prices up. Been looking for front brake caliper for 85 200x and am always late to the party.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oldskool83
09-22-2020, 07:07 AM
In my area everything is around 1500-2000 cheapest, if you want somthing to atleast be all there like seats or fenders. Now nothing is on craigslist really everything is on facebook and i do belive there is some of that " lets looks to see what other people are asking" going on. However Covid did not help anything, or maybe it did. No dealers or used powersport places have anything to sell really. One place that use to say we have over 100 units at all times....well they have about 6. Lastly as much as I do not think this has anything to do with it, I think it might. Trikes have been a thing of the past as atvs replaced them. Well, ATVs are now becoming a thing of the past I feel as SXS's are replacing them. Nothing is fair, but the days of buying somthing blown up for $300-500 are gone. I saw a blown up 1991 YZ125 a kid felt it was worth $1200 since he knew what he had and its vintage....

Come december prices should go down, peoples funemployment will run out and these high dollar askers will need money for christmas. Hopefully. Ive only been lucky to grab 1 machine this year. I tried the other night but the 250SX i went for didnt match the photo, in fact it was all in parts. I left it go but thinking maybe i shouldnt of, but lying to me up front didnt sit.

Just because you see the high price does not mean it goes for that but there are more newer people getting into these sports who dont have old world prices to really go off.

ATC King
09-22-2020, 10:57 AM
There's probably some people who aren't familiar at all with trikes, but want to jump on the bandwagon and have more money than sense. They overpay and try to pass that gift on, when along comes another person with the same affliction.

Most of this is driving personal profit, for whole machines and parts. It's not causing a huge resurgence in aftermarket support, it's not really spreading the money around to create new businesses or drastically increase profits for existing ones. There are some die-hards who love doing it for a hobby and make small runs of parts and accessories. They typically got into it all when these were still available new and resources were more readily available, as well as potential sales. These people eventually die out and very few are picking up the torch.

There are some group buys for special parts production, but that's not very often and usually takes a good bit of time to put together enough confirmed sales to make it happen. If it happens once, and you miss out, that's the one shot you had.

The OEM parts availability is all but dried up. 200X kicker gears anyone? It's NOS and vintage aftermarket at this point.

Restomod? Modern engines stuffed into old frames? They're only original once.

Maybe it all is driving some market, the conversion market, where modern dirt bikes and quads are turned into trikes. If I had the disposable income, I'd be looking in that direction more than a 30 year old machine with very limited parts availability and having something I'd really not want to beat on for fear of damaging it. Riding off road while having to worry about damage? Yeah, right. :crazy: Riding a 250R around the yard or the cul-de-sac in a suburban paradise so it doesn't get dirty or hurt because you paid $5,000+ for it...may as well learn to enjoy riding a electric scooter.

I'm just being a sour puss, but anything I have, I'm going to ride the crap out of it. Not abuse it, but there's a good chance it'll get banged up at some point. My body isn't going to be museum quality once I'm done with it, why should anything I own after I'm not able to enjoy it. Livin' La Vida Loca! :lol: Take this trike and shove it, it ain't running here no more :twisted:

Imagine dying and leaving behind a pristine machine you hardly rode...did you actually live?

Tuesday morning and I'm doom glooming. Oh yeah, it's going to be a rainy week (raining outside right now and FedEx just dropped off some new trike tires). Haven't even had my morning Monster yet. Time to kick the tires and...put them on.

Triker for life, or at least until they get too expensive, then I'll buy my first quad. Peace.

ATC-Eric
09-22-2020, 11:09 AM
Prices have been going up steadily for the last 3-5 years. I used to really blame craigslist, and marketplace. People ask high prices, then someone who either isnt informed on market value, or someone who doesn't care about price comes along and buys it at said price. Now all the sudden there's a new "going rate."

Covid has also had a bad affect on everything outdoors. People have been going out and doing things again lol. RV lots are low on campers, hard to get a lot of outdoor stuff right now.

Anyways I do see prices starting to come back down though. I'm just really happy I'm not just now getting into the sport, and I arguably have "all" the trikes that were on my wish list tucked away in the shop. I'd hate to have to go out and spend 3 grand to buy a mediocre 250r right now.

DAM shop
09-22-2020, 08:34 PM
There's probably some people who aren't familiar at all with trikes, but want to jump on the bandwagon and have more money than sense. They overpay and try to pass that gift on, when along comes another person with the same affliction.

Most of this is driving personal profit, for whole machines and parts. It's not causing a huge resurgence in aftermarket support, it's not really spreading the money around to create new businesses or drastically increase profits for existing ones. There are some die-hards who love doing it for a hobby and make small runs of parts and accessories. They typically got into it all when these were still available new and resources were more readily available, as well as potential sales. These people eventually die out and very few are picking up the torch.

There are some group buys for special parts production, but that's not very often and usually takes a good bit of time to put together enough confirmed sales to make it happen. If it happens once, and you miss out, that's the one shot you had.

The OEM parts availability is all but dried up. 200X kicker gears anyone? It's NOS and vintage aftermarket at this point.

Restomod? Modern engines stuffed into old frames? They're only original once.

Maybe it all is driving some market, the conversion market, where modern dirt bikes and quads are turned into trikes. If I had the disposable income, I'd be looking in that direction more than a 30 year old machine with very limited parts availability and having something I'd really not want to beat on for fear of damaging it. Riding off road while having to worry about damage? Yeah, right. :crazy: Riding a 250R around the yard or the cul-de-sac in a suburban paradise so it doesn't get dirty or hurt because you paid $5,000+ for it...may as well learn to enjoy riding a electric scooter.

I'm just being a sour puss, but anything I have, I'm going to ride the crap out of it. Not abuse it, but there's a good chance it'll get banged up at some point. My body isn't going to be museum quality once I'm done with it, why should anything I own after I'm not able to enjoy it. Livin' La Vida Loca! :lol: Take this trike and shove it, it ain't running here no more :twisted:

Imagine dying and leaving behind a pristine machine you hardly rode...did you actually live?

Tuesday morning and I'm doom glooming. Oh yeah, it's going to be a rainy week (raining outside right now and FedEx just dropped off some new trike tires). Haven't even had my morning Monster yet. Time to kick the tires and...put them on.

Triker for life, or at least until they get too expensive, then I'll buy my first quad. Peace.

Right on king, a lot of folks are just jumping on the Atc bandwagon overpaying for machines with no idea how to work o. Them as then they soon find out they are in way over their head and pocket book. We only. Buy trikes at a extremely low price to flip them or for maybe desirable parts. There is not a machine out there that we really need or want so we have the patience to hold out until the next deal comes along. We just picked up a Pauter frame, another parts trike, a turbo wheel and some other goodies from a guy we tried to give sound advise to years ago. We warned him to slow down because he would be in way over his head and pocketbook. Well that day came last weekend and he made us a great deal on this stuff taking a loss I’m sure. FB is the driving factor on this in my opinion.

3Deep
09-23-2020, 08:23 AM
I have noticed the asking price on three wheelers here in Oregon has at least doubled and tripled recently. I bought my small collection of trikes just four plus years ago and was able to get them for cheap. I peruse CL now and can't believe what people are asking. I don't know what they are actually selling for though.

Jd110
09-23-2020, 09:03 AM
This man knows something about it lol. Here is an example of what is also, NOT known. 264396
There is a part there I have never seen on a 200, though.

oldskool83
09-23-2020, 11:44 AM
roach.......Typical post now days I see on facebook everyday.

ATC King
09-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Jd110, I recently had someone tell me about a 250 Big Red for sale. I was shown a picture and it was a '83 200E or '84 ES. It wasn't a good picture.

That's pretty much par for the course anymore.

Jd110
09-23-2020, 01:53 PM
I know you guys are smart. What I see in the add is that we would know more about that trike than the seller. I’m half tempted to see what I could get it for. Negotiations are key to these. It’s missing a few more items than he claims. Plus, all it supposedly needs is coil and gas-that’s easy to bring to find out.
The pendulum can swing both ways, too. I’ve bought non-runners for $50-$200. Even had a couple given to me with others I bought. With that said $500 kinda seems high.

big specht
09-24-2020, 01:04 PM
264407This pretty much sums it up.

ATC King
09-25-2020, 10:09 AM
I’m half tempted to see what I could get it for. Negotiations are key to these.

Alright. The seller is so lazy they won't spend a few bucks on a cheap coil and a half gallon of gas to get it running so they can sell it for a couple hundred more. The real give away is they're baiting the hook with BS and don't have a clue what's wrong with it.

It's been sitting there how long as a Mickey mouse whore house? Now it just needs 'TLC but nothing big.' The only thing rare is the seller knows how to post the picture without it being sideways or upside down.

Arky-X
09-28-2020, 01:09 PM
Interesting thing about fB is there are always 10 people telling someone that they are crazy for what they are asking......but it sells.
Gotta find the guys that part them out that are in it as a business......they usually don't add to the price for nostalgia. It's just parts to them.

Jim mac
09-28-2020, 07:58 PM
I find 3 wheeler prices are only crazy when I want to buy something. when I try to sell, all I get are low ball offers. same with quads, guns, etc.
I read about prices of recoils, seat pans etc. nobody local needs this stuff. jim

kb0nly
09-28-2020, 10:47 PM
Trikes all doubled or more in price here, everyone pulling them out of the barns and groves are trying to sell them, and they never know what they have either. And i mean can't even take the time to read a label don't know... I see so many 200's listed as a Big Red 250, then you look at the pictures, when they have at least more then one so you can even see the motor, and its a 200. I like 200's to, but i ain't paying 250 prices for them! I finally got another 200 this month, cost $600 but it had so much going for it, all there, new tires, new bearings, receipts showing parts that were bought, top end that was bored and honed, it was a good project trike and i did alright on it. But this same trike not running would have been like $200-300 last year. Now if they run here then its $1000 and up... The cheapest i have seen is a 200E missing all its fenders and a lawnmower gas tank bungie corded to the frame for $400... Beyond that i just see a lot of 90's, 110's, and a few 125's. I did see a 250 for sale last week, asked about it, was sold the same day it listed, guy was nice and i chatted with him a bit since he had some other stuff for sale that was non trike related, he did tell me that he listed it for $2000 and sold it at $1800, seemed like an honest enough guy and i bet he actually did sell it for that.

Now if you want a small trike, 90 or 110, take your pic... There is a half dozen on facebook within 60 miles of me right now. A couple don't look half bad, but i'm not interested in them. All of them are under $500. There is a really nice 185 for sale, i might go look at it just for curiosity sake... It has some kind of aftermarket electric start on it that i have never seen before, an extra housing bolted inbetween the recoil and the motor, owner says its cast aluminum and made to fit it, was this an aftermarket addon i have never heard of before?? I will try to add a picture of it here...

I've never seen one like this before, but some of you guys on here have seen everything when it comes to obscure aftermarket add ons.

Jim mac
09-28-2020, 11:12 PM
is that a goki starter? jim

kb0nly
09-28-2020, 11:52 PM
Best i can tell from google searching is that's it... I have never seen one before, not in person or in pictures. I don't know why its never been in a discussion i was a part of before but i have never heard of Goki starter conversions until this one showed up.

Unfortunately i was going to ask to see it in person then realized that the Facebook Marketplace was screwed up, it was not within the 60 miles it said it was, its actually down in Nebraska. So anyone in Omaha Nebraska that's interested, its on a Facebook marketplace. Seems to me it would be worth buying just for that cool starter conversion, which i can say honestly doesn't look that practical as bad as it sticks out the side and in such an awkward place. But it is neat!

ATC King
09-29-2020, 12:29 AM
Now if you want a small trike, 90 or 110, take your pic...

Being real, those small trikes are cool and fun to hop up, but are far too small for adults to enjoy riding any distance.

I used to love the 110s I had and I put a lot of miles on them. I would put suspension forks on them and build the engines up for more power, but the fact is they are small and it takes a tole on the knees.

They can actually be very fast for the size, but are much more suited for smaller riders. I really like them, but just thinking about riding one any distance on a trail...hurts.

My niece has one that I've done a lot of work on and I rode it back to their place on about five miles of pavement, simply because I could. I don't miss them.

kb0nly
10-01-2020, 12:54 AM
Yeah we got a 90, i still ride it around the yard now and then, its fun, but you feel like a giant on a midget horse... LOL

My sons love it though, they will outgrow it soon enough to. Some day i will probably let it go and replace it with another 200 or a 185, depends on what falls into my lap. I had a guy that wanted to trade a 200E for it a couple years ago, deal fell through though because he found a 110 closer to home. I put a lot of time and money into the 90, its a great little toy though!

ATC King
10-14-2020, 12:08 AM
I replied to a C-list ad today. I probably won't get an answer, because I broke costs down to someone who put in their ad that parts are 'inexpensive and available online.'

It was a machine that could either be for parts or to rebuild, but for someone to get it into good shape, it was either going to be someone who had spare parts on hand (me) or someone who was going to put more into it than it's worth.

There's a whole lot of people buying ATCs then realizing what a money pit they bought. At this point, it's better to buy something ready to go than to search for a bargain, only to turn around and put stupid $$ into it. Fenders alone are incredibly expensive, used junk or new (if available).

The whole 'I know what I got' ideology has gone bonkers. Junk, junk, junk, and more junk, at insane prices.

I don't know what's driving it and I don't care. I'm out. The older quads are looking better all the time. King Quad, with all those glorious levers where a fuel tank normally is...hell yes!

I love to ride trikes. I don't want to pay through the nose for a pristine example, only to ride it around the yard and be worried about a scratch on it.

Jim mac
10-14-2020, 12:09 AM
hopefully looking at a trike project tomorrow
few years ago, I wouldn't have offered 40 bucks for whats there. today prices are a bit higher. Only reason I'm considering it, ive got most of the missing pieces. The parts aren't doing me any good sitting in the shed, my thinking is to find a project to bolt it on and get some use out of these old parts. jim

oldskool83
10-14-2020, 07:06 AM
I sold this for $3200 for my titled 1988 warrior sadly as cool as that sounds. Last monday after riding it sunday and a guy saw it in the background of a FB parts forsale ad. He offered $3200. I had to take that price since I had other machines. Prices are going nuts for anything, is not just 3 wheel related. I went to a dealer for break fluid...guess what nothing was FS with a knob....everything offroad related has been sold out for months now.

He didnt even take the rear wheels or foot pegs...wanted all the stock stuff. I guess he knows what he has...he was about 26

Now im looking for projects $300-400 range again....whatever at this point.

ATC King
10-14-2020, 01:07 PM
Prices are going nuts for anything, is not just 3 wheel related.

Yep. Try finding a good condition 300 Fourtrax 4x4 for a low price. There's quite a few of the 2x4 ones out there, and while they're still nice machines, they don't bring the money the 4x4 version does.

The drum brakes suck though. There's no way around that except for a front disk conversion.