PDA

View Full Version : TPC Husqvarna

mx_599
10-21-2020, 02:08 PM
People still check in here? I am getting new dirt bike to pull double duty as power plant for new TPC 3 wheeler build.

Both bike and 3 wheeler might be desert raced but likely mostly to have fun in the Colorado mtns or elsewhere.

Leaning towards Hsq FE501. Also considering FX450 or injected 2 stroke TE300i.

Anyone have input? All is welcome.

350for350
10-21-2020, 08:50 PM
I'd like to see some pictures.

ATC King
10-21-2020, 09:04 PM
I'd like to see some pictures too, but detailed on any frame modifications they have to do.

Since Husqvarna is owned by KTM, what's drawing you more towards them then the orange Kool-Aid?

ATC-Eric
10-21-2020, 10:33 PM
So Bill's going to build this for you? He's been pretty aggressive in the past against "dirt bike to trike" conversions. So it would just surprise me.

Had a buddy in Colorado just get rid of a 501 Husky BVC conversion. It was nice.

ATC-Eric
10-21-2020, 10:38 PM
Talked to the friend of mine in Colorado Springs that just actually sold the 501 conversion. He had his road legal. Rode it on 3 and 2 a good ways through a lot of the Trans America trail.

ATC King
10-22-2020, 12:34 AM
Talked to the friend of mine in Colorado Springs that just actually sold the 501 conversion. He had his road legal. Rode it on 3 and 2 a good ways through a lot of the Trans America trail.

BVC offers a CRF450L kit. That is a street legal dual purpose motorcycle to start with, or more of a street legal dirt bike anyway.

Maybe it's just for their Big Wheel kit, but it may for the trikes also, IDK.

mx_599
10-22-2020, 03:16 AM
Thanks guys.

No its not a conversion. A bike or a trike. It's a TPC frame. I don't want the conversion kind.

I am not going to swap engine all the time. Maybe 2-3 times a yr or special events as needed.

I like Husqvarna more I suppose to the member who asked why not KTM. I have a Rockstar 450 HSQ currently and happy with it.

mx_599
10-22-2020, 03:17 AM
No opinions on which bike model?

ATC-Eric
10-22-2020, 08:28 AM
Ah, so its going to be a Husky motor in one of Bills Honda frames. Gotcha.

Depends on exactly what kind of riding you will be doing. Whether you prefer 2 stroke, or 4 stroke. The 300 injected 2 strokes are really cool. If I was going to do more woods riding, and technical riding I would probably opt for that.

If you intend to do big riding, like dunes, open road, or long country trail riding, I would go the 4 strokes. What I have found with my 450 (Yamaha) is tighter trails just don't agree with it. Its also something I heard Brad talk about with his 501 conversion. Its a LOT of machine for anything small.

mx_599
10-22-2020, 10:20 AM
Ah, so its going to be a Husky motor in one of Bills Honda frames. Gotcha.

Depends on exactly what kind of riding you will be doing. Whether you prefer 2 stroke, or 4 stroke. The 300 injected 2 strokes are really cool. If I was going to do more woods riding, and technical riding I would probably opt for that.

If you intend to do big riding, like dunes, open road, or long country trail riding, I would go the 4 strokes. What I have found with my 450 (Yamaha) is tighter trails just don't agree with it. Its also something I heard Brad talk about with his 501 conversion. Its a LOT of machine for anything small.

Correct. And struggling on decision...but leaning towards the stroker 501 6 speed.

I want to do occasional desert race with either trike or bike, but mostly for fun on trails in mtns. I dont think they are necessarily tight trails. No problem changing sprockets up. I am sure i can deal with any short commings but kind of hard to deal with short commings the desert race direction.

The 300cc 2 strokes are oil injected as well. Would you have hesitation using in desert race? 2 strokes used to dominate decades ago....but

ATC-Eric
10-22-2020, 10:56 AM
Correct. And struggling on decision...but leaning towards the stroker 501 6 speed.

I want to do occasional desert race with either trike or bike, but mostly for fun on trails in mtns. I dont think they are necessarily tight trails. No problem changing sprockets up. I am sure i can deal with any short commings but kind of hard to deal with short commings the desert race direction.

The 300cc 2 strokes are oil injected as well. Would you have hesitation using in desert race? 2 strokes used to dominate decades ago....but

If I were going to desert race, it'd be big 4 stroke hands down. Are you on facebook at all? I want you to talk to my buddy Brad Baker. Like I commented, he rode his 501 all over the place for a few years. He'd be a good person to get some advice from on what those machines are like.

mx_599
10-22-2020, 11:06 AM
If I were going to desert race, it'd be big 4 stroke hands down. Are you on facebook at all? I want you to talk to my buddy Brad Baker. Like I commented, he rode his 501 all over the place for a few years. He'd be a good person to get some advice from on what those machines are like.

I am not on face book but I am sure i can make it happen or I could PM my email. Did you say he was in Colorado?
Was he happy with 501? Why did he get rid of it?

mx_599
10-22-2020, 11:13 AM

I am not on face book but I am sure i can make it happen or I could PM my email. Did you say he was in Colorado?

ATC-Eric
10-22-2020, 12:06 PM

I'm pretty sure he's on here too. He was really happy with the 501. But he rotates through machines somewhat regularly. He bought a big boy dual sport to do more 2 wheeling, and sent the 501 down the road.

He is in Colorado Springs. I came out there and rode with him a couple years ago. Man I need to get back that way! We hit Rampart, and one other place. LOVE the trails out that direction.

Anyways, Ill see if he's around here.

mx_599
10-22-2020, 12:27 PM
Oh okay, I am in Denver

crazyflights
10-22-2020, 02:13 PM
I'm in Castle Rock, and yes my 501 BVC conversion was a power house, great engine for about any application. However I think a more fun with less engine vibration would be using 2018 and up 300 KTM/Husky 300 2 stroke. Counter balancer, electric start, 6 speed wide ratio... I still have mine in garage until Saturday evening it heads toward New York.

crazyflights
10-22-2020, 02:15 PM
Also, you don't really need a TPC conversion you just need a 450R Quad chassis converted to trike platform then do mods for whichever engine you decide to run. I've been thinking of doing same thing, just not sure engine. I have the 450R minus engine, which I had put a 250R engine in, I bought a steering stem neck for Cr450 fork setup from RedRider, just no time...

mx_599
10-22-2020, 02:34 PM
But how do you think te300i 2 stroke fuel and oil injected would fair in wide open desert for stretches??

I thought it would be fine and people keep steering me to 4 stroke

mx_599
10-22-2020, 02:36 PM
I think a dedicated frame is way to go. No??
I might try to do Vegas to reno...depends how stable I feel it is

crazyflights
10-22-2020, 03:40 PM
To answer your questions:

I think a dedicated custom frame yes is best. But TPC frames are just 450R frames converted, or a replica of a 450R frame converted, so if they will build you one great.
I'm just pointing out several people do convert quad frames to trikes, which seems like 450R is most common. Then it just comes down to what engine you want to run.

If you have not ridden a KTM/Husky 500 bike you need to, they do have tons of power but you will research and fine many aggravated about the vibrations. Not sure why they are, but they do have much more than others I have ridden.
If you want a 4 stroke though it would be a great engine. All the fuel injected ones really come alive after you put a Vortex ECU on them.
You can find my Youtube Videos, several out there where you can see my 501 in action. At Glamis this year it was a riot when it comes to just ripping up an hill you point at with power. Youtube is VintageOffroadLLC, but search Husky 501 trike will find easily.

That said, If I was building another I would do the 300 2 stroke, 2 strokes race in desert all the time, I wouldn't be worried about that. You have to ask yourself how often will you be doing that if living in Denver... Rebuilds are cheaper on them and the main thing to me is they are very smooth engines with little vibration.

At the end of the day just depends what you want to do, do you have other sport trikes currently to compare too?

Which might be doing a ride at Rampart Sunday with my ATC250R.

mx_599
10-22-2020, 04:34 PM
I thought the 501 was supposed to not vibrate much?

What do you think about 300cc 2stroke for power? I think it can put out close to 50hp with mods. It falls off sharply at 8500rpm. But has 6 speeds and of course final drive for desert

I have athena GET for my FC 450. It seems nice. I have not used it to full potential with adjustments

I grew up on a Big Red in the 80s...no I don't have a background in sport ATC.

Lots of background in motocross and raced yfz450r in BITD Vegas to Reno last year.

mx_599
10-22-2020, 08:57 PM
https://www.dirtrider.com/2020-husqvarna-fc-450-dyno-test/

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/how-much-power-does-the-2020-husqvarna-fe-501s-make/

https://www.dirtrider.com/story/tests/2020-husqvarna-te-300i-dyno-test/

Dyno curves of bikes I am trying to decide amongst.

ATC King
11-01-2020, 09:39 AM
It'd be close for me between the 501 and the two stroke, but I'd choose the two stroke. A smidge less torque but a wider torque curve and more horsepower.

That 450 looks terrible to ride for anything but racing. Sky high RPM peak power and a very narrow torque curve. The torque falls off way before the horsepower does too.

I'm guessing the two stroke will last just as long between rebuilds as either of those modern four strokes and cost less to do so.

mx_599
11-01-2020, 09:51 AM
It'd be close for me between the 501 and the two stroke, but I'd choose the two stroke. A smidge less torque but a wider torque curve and more horsepower.

That 450 looks terrible to ride for anything but racing. Sky high RPM peak power and a very narrow torque curve. The torque falls off way before the horsepower does too.

I'm guessing the two stroke will last just as long between rebuilds as either of those modern four strokes and cost less to do so.

I ended up getting the HSQ TE300i two stroke. I am excited. I will do some mods. Safe reliable stuff. Mainly ECU and head. I will probably do Race Tech conversion on forks...not sure yet. I have had good luck with them when I did my 450 suspension.

Remember, I want this for the motorcycle as well...but still committed to the TPC

I wonder if having the atc tire negates any good suspension forks? I would imagine it does not matter as much like a motorcycle.

I believe I have to use Elka shocks. I was going to investigate what people thought about a 1 inch lowered TPC 3 wheeler? I was probably going to lower the dirt bike 1 inch and I was thinking if I ever truly do a desert race with the 3 wheeler perhaps the 1 inch lowering would improve stability. I believe the Elka shift could be whatever length you need it to be to achieve 1 inch lowering

mx_599
11-01-2020, 09:57 AM
Also. It sounds like I have a choice of using Honda type rear end or Yamaha type rear end. I think this might include linkage components as well. It would make some sense to do Yamaha because I have a YFZ450R quad.

However, it seems the aftermarket world lives strong for Honda. I like some of the Walsh stuff.

I suppose aftermarket is good for both. I think the Yamaha plastic rear probably looks more modern

mx_599
12-15-2020, 02:54 PM
Donor bike acquired!

Hsq TE300i

Need to save a bit for conversion now

atc300r
12-15-2020, 06:08 PM
There is a company that makes a 500 kit for the 300 Husky and KTM 2 smokers.You could upgrade.

mx_599
12-15-2020, 07:53 PM
Ohhhh, I didn't know

Do you know who? I would like to see. I might just leave as 300i because its brand new and for longevity and reliability and fuel consumption in race...but I would still like to investigate.

atc300r
12-15-2020, 09:48 PM
I found this pic.I couldn't find the article I read a couple years ago.265513

mx_599
12-16-2020, 12:05 AM
Thats a whole new engine!

I bet it was not for the newer injected 2 strokes??

Tri-Z 250
12-16-2020, 11:10 AM
I wouldn’t convert the forks, to save money for the rear. The fact is the air systems today are reliable easy to adjust and save weight. I know the DB world tells a different story but how often are you landing front wheel first. Your never leaning the front into a rut entering any corner under breaking(hooking the rut and counter steering to exit) holdup feel isn’t an issue. The Rear is 80% of your ride with the biggest factor in comfort and stability. I’d prefer an expensive set of flex bars over a spring cone conversion IMO.

mx_599
12-16-2020, 12:21 PM
I like air fork.

This bike is xact wp spring fork. I am not converting it, just lowering 30mm. But I think the lowering will be a good thing for the 3 wheeler as well for higher speed stability and desert etc

I have AER wp on my 450 and I like them. But I dont want to use them on the 3 wheeler. I lowered them 19mm and it came out great the 450 feels really good, front and back lowered 19mm for motocross.

But this TE300i motorcycle that will play double duty for engine and forks to rolling chassis 3 wheeler I plan to lower 30mm. I think this amount will be great for Enduro bike not intentionally being jumped. 30mm should not compromise much of original design with rising rate linkages etc