PDA

View Full Version : ebay

groundfly
02-24-2004, 08:29 PM
i'm thinking about buying this trike off ebay. i bidded then was out-bid, well the seller e-mails me the other day says the winner cant pay, so he's offering it to me. i'm like cool. but he wants the money western union. and he said he'd have it shipped.i have his name address, and a phone? and e-mail. he has all good feed-back, and has been a member since 2001. but it says he was a member in italy but now lives in MI or somthing. anyway, i hate buying off ebay, i'm so paranoid im gonna get ripped off. the guy's user name on e-bay is "only_honda" anyone ever deal with him? also, i'm not trying to give this guy a bad name, he seems truly genuine and has provided me tons of info and has been very pateint. i do not beleive he is a scammer. i'm just parnoid. what you guy's think?

200x Basket
02-24-2004, 09:23 PM
find out his address and tell him your old navy buddy is going to come over and check it out. it sounds like a scam to me and you will not be protected by ebay if he ripps you off.
chris

jeswinehart
02-24-2004, 09:34 PM
pass on it groundfly,,, you are about to get ripped stinking off !
a friend recently done the same exact thing ( about a snowmobile ) and bought a picture for 1500 bucks !
if you can afford that kinda chance ,,, okay. but if you can't i wouldn't even consider it.

i just went thru a deal with a bidder saying he hit the wrong max bid amount and really screwed himself good. ebay is working hiom over.
keep it on ebay for your own protection unless you know the fella.

john

twgranger
02-24-2004, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't do it! Tell him to relist it on ebay then buy it.

groundfly
02-24-2004, 09:59 PM
yeah, i dont think i will. thanks guys.

Mobular
02-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Don't use Western Union at all! They don't require any sort of ID from the guy who picks up the money. I found this out the hard way. Once the guy had the cash, he dissappeared. On a larger deal, always use Paypal, that way it can be tracked, and there is some recourse if the seller skips on shipping the goods.

88 Turbo Coupe
02-25-2004, 06:31 AM
Don't deal with anyone with ANYONE who has less than 100 feedbacks. EVERYONE I've delt with with low feedback #'s always, some how scumed me. People on Ebay are real creative. I've got a few stories to tell.

short4stuff
02-25-2004, 06:53 AM
Don't deal with anyone with ANYONE who has less than 100 feedbacks. EVERYONE I've delt with with low feedback #'s always, some how scumed me. People on Ebay are real creative. I've got a few stories to tell.

100 feedback it alot, If everyone follows this rule, seems that no one would be buying anything.

88 Turbo Coupe
02-25-2004, 07:41 AM
I'm not going to be one of the first to buy anything with a seller feedback of less than 100. Like I said I almost always have a problem. Hey take your chances. I'm just telling you what happened to me. If there local not too bad. You can try and beat there door down. But I guess we can do the American thing and have to thretten to file a Internet Fraud Law Suit to get what you paid for. Anyone who rips anyone off---Read between the lines, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Jeb
02-25-2004, 09:51 AM
Follow that advice and you'll miss out on allot of good sellers with great parts at great prices.

I've got an issue right now with a member with SEVERAL HUNDRED feedbacks. Definitely my worst ebay deal to date. just goes to show you never know.

If that offer for that trike DID NOT come as a SECOND CHANCE OFFER from ebay, I would let it go. Especially since it involves someone from outside the US.

TimSr
02-25-2004, 09:59 AM
The number of feedbacks (100) isnt nearly as important as the percentage of negatives. A guy on here ( I wont mention) had a 200+ rating but 20 something negatives. Would you rather buy from him, or a guy with 30+ and no negatives?

This guy you are talking about has super feedback, but what I look for in these cases where HE looks good but the deals sounds fishy is Ebay ID theft. First. all he has to do is go through ebay and make you a second offer AND if hes worried about Paypal fees, he can offer it to you with addition to cover. (the protection is worth it) You can also request his ebay registered contact information, and call him to verfiy ID.

Personally, There are not many cases when I would by a whole bike and have it shipped. I at least would want to pick it up in person to make sure Im not getting hosed before I hand him cash. Most sellers would prefer cash, too. If its for junk, Id be inclined to buy without seeing, but then its not worth shipping.

Whenever theres doubt, though, youre better off to pass.

ddtoby
02-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Groundfly- I recvd the exact same email. I bid on a 200x and the bidding went about 100 higher than what I wanted to pay. 2 days ago I recvd an email saying the high bidder backed out and that if I wanted it I could get it, but he wanted the money Western Union???? I declined, sounds like a big scam to me.

Dale

sportvette
02-25-2004, 01:28 PM
watch out for any deal outside of ebay. i got ripped off on 3wheelerworld for 145 from a bad seller. its not worth the hassle. even on ebay you are not fully protected, depending on price and how you pay. know who you are dealing with.

jakerush
02-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Hey,

I'm sorry, I know ya'll have covered this and I don't mean to be insulting but that's just STUPID. 100+ feedbacks. I can't speak for everybody but for me and the most of the friends I know who use ebay, 100 is pretty high. Most all of us have jobs and those jobs aren't being ebay sellers. I think I have 60 to 70 feedbacks with 100% and I've been at it for 2-3 years just casually.

I really enjoy buying and selling on ebay, but please, for my sake don't pass me or other people over because we can't put that much time into it.

ddtoby
02-25-2004, 01:38 PM
I will agree with that also. I have only purchased 2 things from ebay in 2 years hence I only have 2 feedbacks, that does not make me a bad person. Just use your common sense, if the seller supposedly lives 100 miles from you and you want to pay when you pick up and he still wants some Western Union crap, pass on it. Common sense will go a long way I think.

groundfly
02-25-2004, 08:54 PM
well, i e-mailed him, told him if he re-submitted it on e-bay i would buy. i told him i thought it could be a scam. he has not replied. oh well. the guy has good feed-back, but you never know when somone's gonna go bad..lol

Chopperdad
02-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Where in MI is he from. I can go check it out for you if it is close to Toledo, OH. Maybe it is not a scam maybe it is.

jeswinehart
02-25-2004, 10:07 PM
yeah ,,, what Chopperdad said groundfly... i am in the southwest part of michigan and will check it out also if closer to me.
we have members north also that i am sure wouldn't mind helping a fellow 3www member out either ,,,, just let us know.

john

groundfly
02-25-2004, 10:11 PM
wow, thanks alot guy's. but i think i'll let it go. i'm going to springfeild this saturday to pick up a 200x and a parts bike, and this x is alot nicer. so i'll just stick with it. but thank you though. if you ever see a deal in missouri (yea right lol), i'll do the same for you. hopefully i'll have a camera by then and post some pics. 8)

jeremiah