PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advive on R/C Nitro truck

lisnup65
02-25-2004, 09:54 AM
I am considering pickup a R?C Nitro 4 w truck. I am a complete newb to the world of RC vehicles and with the unlimited choices out there I need help.
I want a RTR setup that is dependable. I am not looking for something that I need to disassemble and rebuild on a weekly basis. What are some oppinions that you have as for what set-up to get?

I was looking at the T-Maxx, but I keep hearing that the base set-up is well very basic and it will cost upto double the cost of the RTR package to get it depndable.

Again, I am new and dont know much on the subject. Any help is appreciated.

ejc042
02-25-2004, 10:57 AM
I have a T-MAXX and I have not had any problem with it other than puttingin a new piston and sleeve when the old ones wore out. The only thing I have added is aluminum skid plates for better protection.

hondaATCman
02-26-2004, 09:40 PM
I am looking into the HPI Savage 25 myself. I don't want a T-Maxx because they're so popular I can't walk up the street without seeing one. Here's a few good sites for ya:

www.rcuniverse.com
and
www.towerhobbies.com

BTW, are you looking for 1/10 or 1/8 scale?

Crash104936221
02-26-2004, 10:43 PM
i have heard good about both the T-Maxx and Savage

if your looking at getting somthing i would drop by your local hobbie shop and see what they carry parts for in stock becuse i doubt you will like to wait to get stuff in i know i hate it

how depndable a truck is relates on how its treated and drove
dependign on how much you run it will dictate how offten it need to be taken apart and cleaned. i would suggest that whatever you pickup when you brake a part upgrade it to a aftermarket part to prevent a brakage again

i have a electric Duratrax Evader ST and sofar it has been fairly depndable all i have broken is a little part on the front that keeps the a arms from spreading (bending back) so i put a aluminum replacment on and so far thats all that i have had go wrong, i ave upgraded the motor though to a better one for better power and jut yesterday i put on new back tires as the old ones were bald
i have a Twin force (electric brother to the mad force) on the way (being shipped now) i cant wait till it arives :D

TeCaTe_MaN
02-27-2004, 12:30 AM
i had a t-maxx it was hella cool....i reccomend it, the savage is cool too but it's more expensive.

davham
02-27-2004, 01:16 AM
My take on this is that from what my two sons and myself have/had and their frends.
T-Maxx = fragile unless you baby it. Argue all you want. Same goes for the nitro sport and nitro rustler.

Savage 25 pretty good so far. Still fairly new.

Monster GT very good truck, not as fast as the savage 25. comes with hop-ups already and no more sprints to flip it over due to the cool dual line pickup in the tank. Worked correctley straight from the box.

If you want the ultimate in performance, handling and excellent durability with a sacrifice of ground clearence then get an 1/8 scale 4WD buggy.

There is also the mammoth and Losi is coming out with a giant of a truck but I know nothing about them.

TeCaTe_MaN
02-27-2004, 03:00 AM
one...my t-maxx did things no R/C truck should and never broke...and savage is a .21 ;)

davham
02-27-2004, 10:59 AM
We have bought more replacement parts for our traxass trucks then any others.
Savage 21 has been discontinued, it's now a 25 ;)

ejc042
02-27-2004, 11:12 AM
the only T-Maxx replacement parts I have bought are on front suspension arm I broke form landing nose planted on on wheel. I guess I should not have tried the jump at the motocross track before I had practiced on a smaller jump more.

Ace Mon
02-29-2004, 01:03 PM
I have had 3 T-maxxs . Still own two . Traded one for an offshore baot . The only things I have replaced are the a-arms bulkeads and shocks . All fom hitting things . I ride em hard too . the only thing I dont really care for is the reverse . sometimes it will get stuck . Otherwise , hands-down it cant be beat .

Turbo3Wheeler
02-29-2004, 02:40 PM
I got a Triple X NT Sport, really easy to maintain... It can own those stupid monster trucks anyday, I currently own 2 and race them at a track.

TeCaTe_MaN
02-29-2004, 06:41 PM
We have bought more replacement parts for our traxass trucks then any others.
Savage 21 has been discontinued, it's now a 25 ;)

wel...i was not aware of the .21 being discontinued...and i never had to replace anything on my t-maxx...i bent a suspension shaft, i just pulled it out and straghtened it and put it back in ;) good thing about the plastic parts is that they are flexible as hell...and well, they just dont break..i think you got a crappy one...i rode mine and jumped it so hard...

davham
03-04-2004, 12:45 AM
Maybe all ours suffered from way too much air time. who knows, I have sure bought alot of parts and the price of that aluminum stuff is simpley crazy.
We now have two 1/8 scale Ofna 4WD buggys and those things are awesome, will never again buy a stadium truck. The big monster trucks are fun and we probably will always have one. The MGT is still going strong.

dz
03-04-2004, 01:31 AM
I used to have a Team Associated RC10GT (I believe they still make a similiar model). It came with the .12 recoil engine. Don't get me wrong, it was definitly a stadium racer truck but did it own, I was able to beat the piss outta that thing and it would still start right back up in a few pulls. Not much ground clearance, but tight handling and top speed.

3wheelerdude
03-07-2004, 12:05 PM
I have a nitro rustler and it runs great and i would sell it kind of got out of that hobby and it ready to run