PDA

View Full Version : 83 KLT 250A starter problem.

JuliusTweezer
07-12-2021, 05:22 PM
first I apologize if this has been covered before, but couldn't find an answer. I have the new starter I just put in an when I go to press the start button I just get a click. Before I removed it I wanted to see it it would spin if I went directly from the battery to the starter motor and nothing happened other than sparks. So I removed it and out it in a vice and connected it to the same battery and it would spin no problem. I can out the old starter motor back in and see what happens, after I got a new battery and tested that again it worked just fine, I originally tested it with a bad battery, but I assume the same thing will happen. Any help is much appreciated!

350for350
07-13-2021, 07:57 PM
It sounds to me like your problem isn't with the starters or the battery. I'd guess that it's something internal to the engine. Does the engine itself turn over or is it locked up?

cymbala23
07-14-2021, 02:44 AM
so the old starter work but the new one doesn't?

JuliusTweezer
07-14-2021, 02:11 PM
When I pull off the Stator case I am able to turn the flywheel and engine freely. Also when the starter motor is off and where the gears are is exposed I'm able to turn the them and the starter sprocket/chain freely counter clock wise and it locks if I turn clock wise.

JuliusTweezer
07-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Nah, the old starter is doing the same exact thing, when they're off the machine for me to test them they both spin when hooked up to power, but not when they're on the machine hooked directly to power.

jasong_10
07-14-2021, 07:54 PM
Make sure all you connections are clean (making good contact), the Fat Cat I just finished was doing the same thing until I literally scraped off the top of the battery terminals.

JuliusTweezer
07-22-2021, 02:50 PM
I put a different on/off button and it turned over just fine. I tried it a few times and on the third try it stopped spinning and was doing the same thing as before.

kawzilla
07-22-2021, 11:18 PM
The starter gear mates to a gear on the engine to turn over.
If this gear is bad,it could create the condition you are describing.
Keep posted,Kawzilla (KLT200C-1)

JuliusTweezer
07-26-2021, 05:35 PM
The starter gear mates to a gear on the engine to turn over.
If this gear is bad,it could create the condition you are describing.
Keep posted,Kawzilla (KLT200C-1)

Are you talking about the starter sprocket and chain?