PDA

View Full Version : Banned Article

atcmatt
03-01-2004, 05:04 PM
I was just reading an article that billyjust put up about the ban of trikes for production. Was america the only country that "whinged" about the "unsafeness" of 3-wheelers? If they were, why dident the motorcycle companies still produce 3 wheelers and sell them to other countries, e.g Australia, England, Europe, New Zealand etc? That is just plain stupid if they were banned in ONE country! Why stop making them because of americans. Now we all miss out anyway, I really had to let that out and im so pissed off at those idiots who said they were "unsafe". Just want some opinions...

Matt

86waterpumper
03-01-2004, 06:35 PM
If they were, why dident the motorcycle companies still produce 3 wheelers and sell them to other countries, e.g Australia, England, Europe, New Zealand etc? That is just plain stupid if they were banned in ONE country! Why stop making them because of americans

Hahhahha dude that's a simple one to answer, most trikes were sold in the states, that was the main market, and the main racing action was here as well. Therefore once that was dead, it was no longer profitable for honda to make them for all the other countries, even put together or they would have don't you think. Also I'd like to point out that not all of america whined about trikes, on the contrary they were popular for many many years, in the late 70's and early 80's even before most people think about. One point most people don't know though is that atc's nearly were canned by honda back in the mid 70's when there was a dry spell. This is why they temporarily discontinued the atc 70 from about 75 to 79, as the future of atcs was very shaky at that time. Thankfully sales picked back up towards the late 70's, or we woulnd't have any 250rs, 350xs, etc.

3 weelin geezer
03-01-2004, 07:24 PM
I was gonna say if they're still around, how do i get a new one? I wonder if they still have some old forgotten parts to make a whole one.

atcmatt
03-02-2004, 12:57 AM
I wonder if they still have some old forgotten parts to make a whole one.

Wouldent suprise me one bit mate :)

Matt

threewheelin-feelin
03-04-2004, 11:01 PM
they proble do but damn they should give trikes a chance again at least bring them back 2 or 3 years see how they do f*** cpsc

jb
03-17-2004, 12:02 AM
I would like to see the numbers for injuries then as opposed to injuries now (Percentage wise, I know there are far more machines out there now). Of course I better not speak to loudly or some person with to much time on his hands might hear and try to take away all our atvs.
I think all types of motor sports are dangerous, but I never did understand why atcs were set apart as so bad. People were getting injured by other means as well. I remember as a kid our honda 90s were a lot of fun but they were not set up to handle the amount of speed they could reach, but we were smart enough to know the limits and our dad kept a tight leash on us. As an adult I still own a 250R and I have a 03 Raptor. My little boy has a raptor that matches mine - maybe it is more stable than say a honda 70, and that is fine for a young guy but I wish as he grows older he could have the option to experience the joy of a new atc if thats what he wanted and felt comfortable with. I still maintain that I could get away from the atc alot easier than the 4wheeler in say a hill climbing accident. And before I get off my soap box I would like to state to the people that call me an idiot for opposing the helmet law in the state where I live, that once a right is taken away its gone forever, and If we dont fight the smallest and most silly fights then before you know it they will be down to the place on their list that takes away my right to own an atv altogeather. Boy I feel better now after venting!!!!!!

TimSr
03-17-2004, 09:49 AM
I would like to see the numbers for injuries then as opposed to injuries now (Percentage wise, I know there are far more machines out there now). Of course I better not speak to loudly or some person with to much time on his hands might hear and try to take away all our atvs.

Your too late. The CPSC is already way ahead of you on this one, and ether have been several posts on this subject in the past. Their objectives include mandating certain safety gear by law, and truning the idiotic machine size/age recommendations into law.

As far as current statistics, the numbers of ATV accidents, deaths, and injuries is way up, as the number of people using the are way up. In 1990 150, 000 new ATVs were sold. 2003 was well over 1,000,000. As a percentage of users getting killed or injured, the numbers are a fraction of what they were 10 years ago, but CPSC is ignoring this statistic and going with "the number of accidents are up".

The local news reported 1700 deaths of riders under 18 over the past 20 years. The Centers for disease Control reports approximately 1000 children PER YEAR die on bicycles, and that number remains pretty constant.