PDA

View Full Version : Gun Owners...

Jeb
03-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Well, sadly I guess the ridiculous 1994 asualt weapons ban could go another 10 years. All the Pre-Ban/ Post-Ban confusion will endure. :( What's upsetting is 10 republicans voted with the democrats to get the majority for extending it. Just an extension of the infringement on the rights of law abiding citizens.

Anyways, not a good sign so far.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=512&e=3&u=/ap/20040302/ap_on_go_co/congress_guns

Here's site I found while researching that I thought was pretty good:

http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/

Jeb
03-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Well, the article changed about the time I posted the link. :shock: I guess maybe it will run out in September after all since the Republicans dropped the bill??????????

ange
03-02-2004, 09:26 PM
There is still hope that that gay ban will sunset.

When the Demo's attached a bunch of dumb laws to the bill today, all the Republicans jumped ship appropriately.

fingers crossed for september.

TimSr
03-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Wouldnt you just like to SLAP Schumer and Feinstien? I cant even stand the site their creepy crooked sleazeball grins.

Wickedfinger
03-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Maybe not slap, but perhaps a "limpy" shot to the knees with my G3 to help them rethink things.

trikerider2oo7
03-03-2004, 01:30 PM
that is gay...i think anyone that wants to own anything like that should be allowed

yater
03-03-2004, 02:52 PM
I strongly disagree. That is the problem--anyone who wants to can own an assault rifle. I know the constitution says "right to bear arms" but it was written before we had all these problems. I live in Texas and believe me, any "cletus" can and does own a gun. I too own guns (mostly shotguns for duck hunting :D ) but I am also aware of the consequences if I decide to shoot a person.--Some people don't care--it's part of life to them. If you look at the wrong person--you're dead. Why?--because they're too stupid to know any better--AND THEY'RE STILL ALLOWED TO OWN A GUN!!

Wickedfinger
03-03-2004, 03:36 PM
I strongly disagree. That is the problem--anyone who wants to can own an assault rifle. I know the constitution says "right to bear arms" but it was written before we had all these problems. I live in Texas and believe me, any "cletus" can and does own a gun. I too own guns (mostly shotguns for duck hunting :D ) but I am also aware of the consequences if I decide to shoot a person.--Some people don't care--it's part of life to them. If you look at the wrong person--you're dead. Why?--because they're too stupid to know any better--AND THEY'RE STILL ALLOWED TO OWN A GUN!!

...you see though, part of having this freedom is responsibility to know that there are going to be people out there who will abuse it. Its a risk we have to take living in a "mostly" free society (I stress mostly free). Take a look at any of the statistics provided even from our own government and you will see assault weapons are used in about one-fifth of one percent (.20%) of all violent crimes and about one percent in general gun crimes. 99% of all gun related crimes in the US are caused by handguns, not assault rifles. Putting any ban on their import isn't going to solve anything.

mudduck14843
03-03-2004, 04:07 PM
ok get this

an assault rifle shoots one bullet when you pull the trigger one time right?
a 12 ga. shotgun when you fire one time shoots around 100 to 400 bullets (depending on shot size)
which one do you have a better chance of getting missed by?
what one would you rather get hit with?
which one is "banned" !!!

stupid people have confused everybody

yater
03-03-2004, 04:26 PM
I don't care which is banned. I would gladly "earn" my "privilege" to own guns. I'm talking guns in general. I would agree to take a comprehensive test or something designed to weed out the losers. It SHOULD require a certain amount of awareness and intelligence to own a gun. You need a liscense to drive right? And--I'd MUCH rather get hit by a shotgun than an assault rifle (to answer your question)

sandrooster
03-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Wouldnt you just like to SLAP Schumer and Feinstien?

Why? Theyre just trying to protect the chilllllren.

If the gungrabbers get their way, a black market would result.

I've always wanted an M60 and an RPG. :-D

For those in Loma Linda, all I'm saying is the doors would open for anyone to get anything they want for some cash. Just like drugs.

Then the antigun people would really have something to be frightful about. Just like merry ole england today after they enacted a private owner gun ban.

sandrooster
03-03-2004, 05:51 PM
I don't care which is banned. I would gladly "earn" my "privilege" to own guns.
Hey yater,
The difference between you and me is that I don't consider gun ownership a "privilege" granted by gov't. It is a natural right like self defense.

I understand your concern about stupids walking around with an attitude.
But liberty is the other side of responsibility. As society losses its concept of responsibility, it losses its liberty.

I define liberty as what gov't allows.
Freedom is what you choose to do.

Jeb
03-03-2004, 05:56 PM
... And--I'd MUCH rather get hit by a shotgun than an assault rifle (to answer your question)

That would depend on the range the shot was fired from. At close range, a full metal jacket .223 bullet has a better chance of just going right through. That could give you better survival odds. A 12 gauge with bird shot would lay you all over the place and do allot more damage. :shock:

It's all about responsibility.

yater
03-03-2004, 05:57 PM
I think it should be a privilege earned by the responsible person who choses to own a gun. How about this? I've owned my browning 12 guage legally since I was 12 years old. I kept it in my truck LEGALLY from age 15 on.

TimSr
03-03-2004, 06:34 PM
I think it should be a privilege earned by the responsible person who choses to own a gun.

Im picturing you explaining this to Madison and Jefferson.

Ive got news for you. Minors can not and do not legally OWN anything. When you are a minor, you posess, but do not own, what ever property your parents own that they entrust you with in the eyes of the law.

yater
03-03-2004, 06:47 PM
I've got news for YOU--I grew up in Louisiana and kept my gun in my truck from the time I was 15 on. Through all the times I encountered the law as a teenager, not once was my gun or possession of it an issue to them. I'm not a kid anymore. I'm not against guns--like I said, I hunt and own several.--Take a look around Tim, we're not being invaded by the English anymore!! Maybe if Madison and Jefferson were alive today, they would see things differently.

samster143
03-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Lets all go and get a license to own and register ALL of our guns. That way when some new liberal law gets passed they can come right to your home and take what is rightfully yours. If you do not protect it....it will go away. (your rights)!

Jeb
03-03-2004, 07:00 PM
...Maybe if Madison and Jefferson were alive today, they would see things differently.

If they were somehow miraculously brought back to life to see what was going on with this great nation, they would probably die of shock at how stupid our society has become:

gay marriages
gun control
political correctness
political corruptness
frivolous lawsuits
less freedom
rampant accepted disrespect of this country

Hell, they wouldn't even be able to get their McDonald's Value Meal super-sized anymore. Because McDonalds Corporation is scared they will be sued for making everyone fat.

:D

yater
03-03-2004, 07:05 PM
All of your guns ARE registered!! Unless you got them on the street.

Trikeaholic
03-03-2004, 07:38 PM
the second amendment has NOTHING do do with hunting yater. I dont hunt, I think it is not necessary to hunt these days. I own a bunch of "assault weapons" and I can safley say that Ted Kennedys car has killed more people than any firearm I own. I dont even shoot anymore. Im keeping these things for my son, when he gets older, there may be even more stupid regulations. You talk about privelege, I feel its a god given right. Thats the problem, people start thinking your god given rights as a man are priveleges, who is to grant us these "priveleges" of being free?? You?? some elected shister like chuck schumer?? I dont think so! Hillary Clinton?? If you are afraid of some "bubba" shooting at you, then mabey you should excersise your RIGHT as a MAN and carry.

Mabey there should be a special license or privelege to ride an ATC too?? Anyone can go buy them. They should be banned too.

Only when we are all docile sheep will this BS stop for good.

350red
03-03-2004, 07:59 PM
It is a right to own a gun, (guaranteed) not a privilege!!!!!!!. Sam

ATC crazy
03-03-2004, 10:18 PM
I just got done writing a 6-8 page persuasive essay regarding gun control and I will be happy to supply some insight.

Guns are a good thing,...not a bad thing like most people want you to think. In Switzerland, just about every adult male (without criminal record, or mental dissabilities) is Required to own a gun. Their government sells Machine guns, submachine guns, anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons, howitzers and cannons to the public. Over 2 million semi-auto rifles, over 600,000 fully auto assauly rifles, and hundreds of thousands of machine guns. And guess what...their crime rate is LOWER than ours. Guns themselves are not the cause of crime (As Clinton seems to think guns have a mind of their own and just decide to "go off" on whom ever they choose). In the 10 years that this ban has been in place....there is hardly any relationship between these semi-auto guns, that Clinton banned, and crime of any sort. Studies show that these guns are the least likely to be involved in a crime.

We do not need more laws involving gun control....we need to inforce the laws that have been in place for decades...

All my info. came from research sites, government sites, and school oriented discussion sites so all the info is correct FYI...

Wickedfinger
03-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Heres a stat I found funny ... there has not been a homicide in the US in over 50 years that can be attributed to a true "Machine Gun". The offical definition of an assault weapon is ... a military grade, automatic weapon firing a medium power cartridge with a selectable rate of fire (ie full auto). This has been so distorted by the press, the gun control nazis, and the Clinton regime its rediculas.

TimSr
03-04-2004, 12:08 AM
I've got news for YOU--I grew up in Louisiana and kept my gun in my truck from the time I was 15 on. Through all the times I encountered the law as a teenager, not once was my gun or possession of it an issue to them. I'm not a kid anymore. I'm not against guns--like I said, I hunt and own several.--Take a look around Tim, we're not being invaded by the English anymore!! Maybe if Madison and Jefferson were alive today, they would see things differently.

Like I said, you never "owned" your gun, your parents did. If you did anything negligent or illegal with it, it would be their legal problem for allowing you to posess it, just like "your truck". I am surprised you could legally drive a truck in LA at age 15, but then each state has their own laws. I do not find anything upsetting or shocking about a minor being in posession of a firearm. Minors posessing firearms with their parents blessing have never been a crime problem. I too hunted at age 14 without adult supervision, because I was trained, mature, responsible, and my parents trusted me. At that time you had to legally be 16, but I was even stopped by a game warden once and was never hassled for it, and quite frankly, I dont see a problem with it if the individual demonstrates responsible gun handling. Ive seen a lot of kids who act more responsible with guns than adults, and Ive seen a lot of adults who shouldnt touch one, but I sure as hell wouldnt rely on govt testing because some of those adults are on our local police force.

Statistically speaking, at age 15 you were a lot more likely to kill somebody with your truck than your gun.

J.D.
03-04-2004, 12:27 AM
Man I tell you what, as soon as I am legal to carry a gun, I am, all the time. Any basterds want to hijack me, or shoot at me, I'm shootin' back.

I used to have a bumper sticker on my truck, that would go well in all this.

"I LOVE MY COUNTRY, BUT I FEAR MY GOVERNMENT".

It's time that more people started carrying guns, using Switzerland as an example look at there crime rate. People are afraid to commit a crime when they know everybody around them is carrying a gun. I would be too ;) Carrying a gun is a right. I aim to excersize my rights too.

TimSr
03-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Heres a stat I found funny ... there has not been a homicide in the US in over 50 years that can be attributed to a true "Machine Gun". The offical definition of an assault weapon is ... a military grade, automatic weapon firing a medium power cartridge with a selectable rate of fire (ie full auto). This has been so distorted by the press, the gun control nazis, and the Clinton regime its rediculas.

Fully automatic weapons were banned for civilain use in 1938. The only civilians who could own or posess one after that time required a Class V Federal Firearms License. No crime has ever been committed by a Class 5 FFL holder, ever.

3 weelin geezer
03-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Say, yater, just WHO do you propose would grant you the privilege to own a gun? Another 'office' in the gov't that would need gobs of money to keep you safe from yourself and a bunch of green suited helmeted thugs looking over your shoulder to make sure you don't aim just a little too high for their taste? Drivers license demonstrates knowledge of the rules of the road and if you have the coordination to control the car I call it: Car control. How would you say competence of Gun control should be demonstrated? What skills need to be met? It would not stop irresponsible people anymore than car licensing and registration stops stupid people from driving cars too fast or drink while driving. It just costs more money. Are you also for 'gun insurance' too? I say punish those who don't obey the existing laws which I think are very simple even for a dunderhead to understand. 'You may not infringe another's pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness.' Very simple. Now whats so hard to understand about that? BTW, I want a machine gun (MG-42) but they are so darned expensive. Oh, well. I guess I can start with a supressor. Thats cool. I think its BS that I have to pay $200 to be 'allowed' to have one myself. Can anyone explain what good that does??? $200--FLUSH!! Does it stop crime? Hasn't happened yet. Does it disband the local gang? Um, no. I dont think so. How about spouse abuse/murder? BUZZ!! Maybe next time. One more question. Did you also have credit cards at 12 or 15 in your name?

yater
03-04-2004, 11:16 AM
It's your right as an AMERICAN--not a god given right. That's what we've been talking about here. If it's a god given right then we REALLY need to step up the gun production because there are too many countries without our problems

Billy Golightly
03-04-2004, 12:13 PM
I just got done writing a 6-8 page persuasive essay regarding gun control and I will be happy to supply some insight.

Guns are a good thing,...not a bad thing like most people want you to think. In Switzerland, just about every adult male (without criminal record, or mental dissabilities) is Required to own a gun. Their government sells Machine guns, submachine guns, anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons, howitzers and cannons to the public. Over 2 million semi-auto rifles, over 600,000 fully auto assauly rifles, and hundreds of thousands of machine guns. And guess what...their crime rate is LOWER than ours. Guns themselves are not the cause of crime (As Clinton seems to think guns have a mind of their own and just decide to "go off" on whom ever they choose). In the 10 years that this ban has been in place....there is hardly any relationship between these semi-auto guns, that Clinton banned, and crime of any sort. Studies show that these guns are the least likely to be involved in a crime.

We do not need more laws involving gun control....we need to inforce the laws that have been in place for decades...

All my info. came from research sites, government sites, and school oriented discussion sites so all the info is correct FYI...

Switzerland never did surrender to the blitzkreig in ww2 either did they?

TimSr
03-04-2004, 12:22 PM
It's your right as an AMERICAN--not a god given right. That's what we've been talking about here. If it's a god given right then we REALLY need to step up the gun production because there are too many countries without our problems

Have you ever heard the phrase "Inalienable rights endowed by our creator"?. Do you undertand what that means? The Bill of Rights does not GIVE us any rights. It is what our founding fathers saw as a list of God given rights for humanity, and listed as God given rights that our new government was prohibited from taking away.

Trikeaholic
03-04-2004, 12:26 PM
the ability to defend oneself, is in fact a right that cannont be denied, wether it be with a sword, club or firearm. The right to bear arms is as fundemental to ones life as the right and duty bestowed upon us to procreate our species. You see, some people think that a government graciously grants priveleges and thats just WRONG. Governments regulate the private ownership of firearms, not for the protection of the common citizen, but for the protection of the established social order where there are a select few in power. Its really simple if you over simplify it.

I fear a government that fears my gun. What are they afraid of me for? I work 3 jobs, pay my taxes and have never broken serious law in my life!

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject
Those who beat thier guns into plows, will plow for those who dont.

(my favorite bumper stickers)

Now, Im no gun nut, but I dont see the point in any gun control. Freedom is risky. There is always a danger that some kook will abuse his freedom and hurt someone. It was Ben Franklin that said "those who would give up liberty for security deserve niether freedom nor security"

Think about it.

yater
03-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Why doesn't EVERYONE have these GOD given rights? You are pushing our laws on the rest of the world here--let the government take care of that. AND--Don't bring GOD into this--there are plenty of Christians in other countries who cannot own guns. The driving age in La was 15 when I was growing up--why do you ask about credit cards in my name? What does that have to do with anything? I'm not against you people--I love to hunt! Don't act like I'm a tree hugger or something.

Jeb
03-04-2004, 02:00 PM
Why doesn't EVERYONE have these GOD given rights? You are pushing our laws on the rest of the world here--let the government take care of that. AND--Don't bring GOD into this--there are plenty of Christians in other countries who cannot own guns. The driving age in La was 15 when I was growing up--why do you ask about credit cards in my name? What does that have to do with anything? I'm not against you people--I love to hunt! Don't act like I'm a tree hugger or something.

Everyone in the world DOES have these rights. And thank GOD the US recognizes that. It's just other countries choose not to grant them to their (as holic is correct in saying) "subjects". That's why we allow immigration. Because every man on this planet deserves a chance to live free within our acceptable laws.

Trikeaholic
03-04-2004, 02:24 PM
[.

Everyone in the world DOES have these rights. And thank GOD the US recognizes that. It's just other countries choose not to grant them to their (as holic is correct in saying) "subjects". That's why we allow immigration. Because every man on this planet deserves a chance to live free within our acceptable laws.[/quote]

Its pretty simple, I thought. Its not up to governments to GRANT rights as human beings, but it sure is up to them to DENY them. Thats the difference.

TimSr
03-04-2004, 02:31 PM

Everyone does have them, but they have allowed their governements to take thier God given rights away.

I did not bring God into this. The authors of our constitution did. Thats why I asked if youd ever heard those words, "Inalienable rights endowed by the creator". Regardless of what name you wish to call "the Creator", or if you do not acknowlegde Him at all, the intent was clear to confirm that these were natural absolute rights not to be granted by the government. I believe it was Jefferson who authored those words, but I could be wrong.

There is a bigger point here, and that is that the ingenius job these men did of setting up this country, and in authoring the constitution we still live by cannot be denied, and if youre going to come around 225 years later and suggest "correcting their mistakes" you should really make sure you have a full understanding as to what they were doing, trying to do, and what their thoughts and intentions were behind it. I dont think its a good idea for people to be suggesting a repeal of The Bill of Rights unless they really understand the Bill of Rights. These comments are not meant as an attack, but rather meant to be informative. You have the right to disagree with Madison, Jefferson, Washington and all the others, and they made certain your right to do that would be preserved in that same Bill of Rights, but when you do challenge the wisdom of the founding fathers, some of us may feel compelled to challenge your wisdom.

Mobular
03-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Switzerland never did surrender to the blitzkreig in ww2 either did they?

No, Switzerland didn't surrender to the blitzkrieg (I assume you are speaking of WW2), but keep in mind they never experienced one either. They were not attacked by German forces, and it surely was not their tiny mandatory army that frightened the War Machine away. Switzerland was "neutral", but infact as time rolls along, we are finding out that they were used to launder valuables, and finance the ravenous German push.
Why destroy that which will strengthen...

Wickedfinger
03-04-2004, 08:19 PM
... well I guess we can ad "Gun Control" to the official 3WW "banned from conversation at dinner list" , right behind religion and abortion...... 8)

ATC crazy
03-04-2004, 09:29 PM
In WWII, Hitler wanted the Swiss gold reserves and needed free communications and transit through Switzerland to supply Axis forces in the Mediterannean. But when military planners looked at Switzerland's well-armed citizenery, mountainous terrain, and civil defense fortifications, Switzerland lost its appeal to Hitler as an invasion target. While 2 World Wars raged, Switzerland enjoyed a secure peace.

See...Guns can also keep a country OUT of war....

3 weelin geezer
03-04-2004, 11:45 PM
I ask if you had a credit card at 15 because I am curious that someone of that age is recognized to be an adult and own legal property and enter into legally binding contracts. I have always been told that the legal age of 'adulthood' for some things is 18 and 21 for stuff like owning a pistol, buying a house, buying liquor, etc. whether the person demonstrates maturity or not for liability purposes. Someone with a rifle at 12 or 15 is ok in some circles of society that have come to accept it as normal while others (california for example) may see it as an accident waiting to happen as if accidents have some form of sentience and therefore can posess the quality of malice. Now, if that person is not of legal age and does something wrong, who is held responsible for that 'child's' misdeeds while not under an adults supervision?

BigGreenMachine
03-05-2004, 04:24 PM
I live in Canada right now and the rules are pretty strict up here. Still in all my father has about an even 40 guns in the house. Four of them are handguns and one an actual Assult rifle with selectable firing modes, single, semi and full auto. Needless to say it gets expensive to register these. In about a year or two I plan on joining the U.S. Forces as an M.P. officer and you can bet I like the idea of walking around with some sort of firearm for protection. IMO, whats wrong with carrying it if your only using it for a scenario that may never happen to you, better safe then dead.

mudduck14843
03-07-2004, 10:49 AM
GOD, GUTS, and GUNS!!!!!

enough said!