PDA

View Full Version : 125M Tranny locked up.

ClayW
03-05-2004, 10:11 PM
:?: What could some of the problems be. The people I bought it from said that their son was messing around with his cousin and his 4 wheeler. They tied a rope to each bike and started pulling against each other. The rear wheels locked up and that was the end of it. Any ideas? I havent had time to tear it apart yet. Just curious if anyone has a similar problem. I had a 110 years ago that locked up and eventually freed itself up after it was drug around for a while. What do you think?

Name Brand
03-06-2004, 06:36 AM
My 125M did this;

One of the four bolts that hold the rear axle in came out at some point. (left side, top) The lower bolt (with the adjustor on it) came loose as a result. The rear axle slid forward, bent the adjustment rod and frame tie in, and loosened the chain. The chain then slipped off the axle gear and jammed between the frame and that gear. Rear wheels were stuck.

This happened about ten miles down a trail. Very good that I had tools on my SX. Took me a little while to figure out what happened. I tore the machine apart on the trail, fixed it, rode it half a mile, then the same problem. Ended up pulling the chain out of the machine, and towed it back to the trailhead with the SX.

I imagine that the gears in the Hi/Low switch could be jammed or something in the actual case could be. The Hi/Low cover is held on with four bolts and is easy to check. The chain is covered up, but I can get to it in about five minutes. (I got familier with this machine restoring it.) I'd check those first.