PDA

View Full Version : im a idiot!@!!

groundfly
03-07-2004, 07:23 PM
well, me and my buddy did some hardcore riding today, and we were heading back to the house to grab a watch when all the sudden my wheel and tire begine to wabble and flail like crazy. well it comes all the way off and sends me almost into the ground. come to find out all my nuts are gone and the wheel is on the ground, ME the super moron forgot to tighten them when i swithched tires yesterday, they were kinda toght but i did'nt go back and torque em down. so i took two off the other side, with my fingers!!! and put them on that side and rode very slowly back, stopping every 100 feet to retighten them by hand. like i said..i am an idiot.

2strokepwer
03-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Everybody makes mistakes. No one is perfect. I'm just glad to hear that you are ok. Thats the most important thing now.

200xman
03-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Don't feel bad. When I got my 350x I knew it was missing the cotter pins for the axle nuts but forgot to put them in for the first ride. Rode a coulple of hours before the tire and hub fell off. At least I was going slow when it happened. Never did find the nut!

jeswinehart
03-07-2004, 09:42 PM
lol ,,,, you arn't the only one. i forgot to put the cotter key in the hub nut and on the check out trials ,,, nuttyberzerco discovered it !

jeswinehart
03-07-2004, 09:46 PM
experiance is knowing what you done wrong before,,,,

john
this could be the start of a funny thread,,,, silly mistakes !

kimmer250r
03-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Is that one of your x's john?

jeswinehart
03-07-2004, 10:24 PM
it's that winter project i am selling on ebay,,, has about 10 minutes left.
a aircooled 250r ( 1983 )

http//cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2463933827&category=6724&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1
john

trikerider2oo7
03-07-2004, 10:26 PM
haha. i got threw off my 350x the other day but not b/c i forgot to put on bolts. i was just messin around on it. here the story...i was ridin around my yard, we had a couple of guys over that were watchin me ride. i put it in 2nd gear and let go of the throttle letting it pull itself around. i stood straight up on the seat and was dancin sround up there and it stated goin up a wee little hill and started to sputter. i started to bend down to grab the clutch to get it from dyin, but right before i got there it died. i i tried t4o catch the handlebars but dint get them. i did a front flip over the front fender and landed on my back right in front of it. hurt a little but not too bad.

ATC crazy
03-08-2004, 10:03 AM
I forgot to bolt my shock back up after I greased the A-arms on the Foreman. I lowered the jack and *CRUNCH*

It didnt hurt anything though... ;)

thefox
03-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah the shop that I brought my bike to last spring forgot to but in the nuts that hold on the rear shocks :evil: . They put on a new rear tire but then only hand threaded on one of the nuts and didn't put then other one on. Good thing I didn't ride it home!

One of my friends had a wheel fall of his 200x. He didn't have a cotter in in so he lost the hub nut. The best part is that he ws crossing a stream and got stuck so he lifted it up to turn it around and the wheel fell off. We ended up pulling it out of the stream with my 200s while he tried to hold up the back of the 200x. The next day we took the trailer back to get it since we couldn't find the nut.

Dirtcrasher
03-08-2004, 03:07 PM
well, me and my buddy did some hardcore riding today, and we were heading back to the house to grab a watch when all the sudden my wheel and tire begine to wabble and flail like crazy. well it comes all the way off and sends me almost into the ground. come to find out all my nuts are gone and the wheel is on the ground, ME the super moron forgot to tighten them when i swithched tires yesterday, they were kinda toght but i did'nt go back and torque em down. so i took two off the other side, with my fingers!!! and put them on that side and rode very slowly back, stopping every 100 feet to retighten them by hand. like i said..i am an idiot.

I had just finished restoring my 85 250R and put some new Turf Tamers on there. I took it down my road wide open - appx 70MPH or whatever these "demons" do and it seemed to pull to the right a bit. I took another blast and then parked it and called it a day. I woke up about 3AM horrified and remembered I never tightened the lug nuts :shock: !!! When I went out to check the next morning I only had 2 lug nuts left that had backed out almost all the way. If that tire came off at 6 gear pinned - I would be pinned to a tree.

I won't make that mistake again :rolleyes:

Wickedfinger
03-08-2004, 04:14 PM
.... don't feel bad man, I posted a story 2 years ago on here about the time I took my Tri-Z out in the snow and had the main castle nut come off my rear tire while railing around a corner sideways at like 50 mph. The tire went flying and almost hit some cross country skiiers and two girls I was trying to impress with the powerslide. Other than having to endure the girls laughing at me and the cross country skiiers scorn, I lost the castle nut and had to limp like 5 miles home having to stop every 500 ft to knock the spindle back on the splines.

groundfly
03-08-2004, 09:13 PM

I had just finished restoring my 85 250R and put some new Turf Tamers on there. I took it down my road wide open - appx 70MPH or whatever these "demons" do and it seemed to pull to the right a bit. I took another blast and then parked it and called it a day. I woke up about 3AM horrified and remembered I never tightened the lug nuts :shock: !!! When I went out to check the next morning I only had 2 lug nuts left that had backed out almost all the way. If that tire came off at 6 gear pinned - I would be pinned to a tree.

I won't make that mistake again :rolleyes:

lol, thats what i had put on, turf tamers... :D

olderthandirt
03-08-2004, 09:26 PM
:oops: been there,done that. the walk back to the truck sucked,the ribbing from my girl friend was worse.
and the most famous of all flubs,went to sell my first 350x back in 1986,
the guy that was buying it asked if it ran,i'm like he!! yeah this baby runs like a raped ape. i kicked till i was about to pass out, checked the plug,put in new plug,still kicked,fresh gas? new gas, gas turned on? yep,kick some more,start cussing, man starts to leave then i look at the kill swith only to discover its in the off position! :shock: :oops:
after it fired up and ran i just loaded it in his pickup and graciously accepted his money,boy did i feel like a idiot.

but scat happens,we learn the hard way :-D

TimSr
03-09-2004, 12:04 AM
My brother did that about 20 years ago with his Pontiac Ventura which was similar to a Chevy Nova at that time. He felt it wobbling, pulled into the gas station parking lot and it dropped to the pavement on the right front brakes. Luckily for him, several people who knew him happened to witness the event so that he would not only be humiliated with laughter but forced to relive the event even today. Now that youve remined me Illhave to mention it to him again!

Wickedfinger
03-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Tim, my friend Keith did the same exact thing with his Monte Carlo. We felt a wobbling followed by a bad vibration - then right as we went to pull into an Arby's to check it out (at about 100mph I might ad because Keith didnt know the meaning of speed limits) - CRASH!!!!. The front drivers side tire fell off and as we skidded to a stop on the disk brake rotor - we watched as the tire carrened across the parking lot and completely destroyed the drivethrough speaker and lighted menu. The funny thing is - we were able to retrieve the tire and remount it using three of the other tires lugs - without the Arby's people even knowing what happened to their sign.

350XXX
03-09-2004, 08:30 PM
i had my bronco realigned a few years back and i had been driving it for two weeks and the alignment went bad. i was going to take it back to them on monday to fix it, BUT on the way homw sunday night i noticed that it was not coasting well so i pulled into a parking lot and noticed that they hadnt tightened the tire rod end back up. damn thing fell out in the parking lot. thank god for autozone. fixed it in the parking lot myself.

groundfly
03-09-2004, 10:57 PM
well, today after a long hard day of riding i came back missing my muffler and my foot lever for the brake is broken and hanging down, also broke the left back part of my plastic... :( i just got it and im killing it..lol

eh_tee_see
03-10-2004, 01:14 AM
haha, last week, i was working with my friend on his 185, and he is the worst mechanic ever, i tell him to go get the nuts for the rims and so he goes and gets 4 customary nuts lol, i let him put them on and then we brought it to my house. couple days ago i was driving home from school and the thing is wobbling like heck and im like... oh crap.. then my back end drops to the ground and my tire goes flying past me. i put it on two wheels and rode it into the ditch... and i swear mason is the worst mechanic ever. just a few more things hes tried to pull: put a 200 cylinder on a 185, put a slow jet in for a main jet, put the pulser on backwards( i ask him what he thinks hes doing and he says ah heck its good enough it doesnt need to be perfect hahahah)

cyclepsycho
03-10-2004, 10:34 AM

I just finished reading this thread and figured you may like a more realistic opinion.

Many of the responsess to this topic can be classified as feelings. These require less thought than an actual opinion and are generally more "heart-felt" than academic. Many are "knee-jerk" reactions to your situation and some are quite humerous.

Other opinions given on this topic were muddled by emotion and quite apparently were toned down to be more what they thought you would want to hear instead of perhaps what needed to be said. Others were toned down to be what some thought others on the forum would want to be said.

Yet, other responses were merely relations of similar feats performed by others in an atempt to build comraderie.

I am a post graduate student of psychology. Since I am not working in the field yet, I can not give a "professional" opinion, but I can come fairly close.

After careful consideration of the facts that you have shared with us, and based on my education, and the experiments and research I have performed, my learned opinion is:

Yes, you are an idiot.

Rob

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.