PDA

View Full Version : Painted Exhaust. Few ?s

PowerTrike
03-10-2004, 12:29 AM
I took of the whole exhuast to my sled, sanded it down/washed, and repainted it metalic-silver with High Temp Engine and Manifold paint. I have done this before on my Big Red and it turned out great with no prep work. This stuff that I have now reccomended that you cook it in a oven or by running you engine before 8 hrs after you painted it. I wasn't able to do this and now the top layer of paint rubs off (very greasylike) so I'm running it off and on (reinstalled) till it starts to smell and bubble a little. Should this stuff eventually dry? Doesn't seem like it wants to?
Let me know your expirences.

It really does look killer though! Stands out real good and looks custom!

BLAZERONE22
03-10-2004, 09:24 PM
I never have had good luck with painting exhaust for any anmount of time. I've used 1200 degree paint and it seems to burn or peel after a while. On my aircooled project I wanted a nice looking pipe but all that was available was a aftermarket DG pipe, I had one on my tecate and it cracked. So I did some research on the coating Tom Batts used on his 350x and low and behold there was a guy just down the street from me that does Cermachromeing. I'm totally impressed with it. I kept my stock pipe and silencer and looks great. everyone that has used it says if it gets dull looking just use a little never dull and it will shine back up. it did cost 130 bucks to have it done but I think it was worth it. http://www.finishlinecoatings.com/

olderthandirt
03-10-2004, 09:52 PM
:shock: that is fantastic looking,did he do the sidecases too?
is there any part that can't be coated?
wonder if it can be buffed to a mirror shine when done?
great looking trike :-D

PowerTrike
03-10-2004, 11:31 PM
The R Looks nice!!! I'm just staying cheap here with the rattle can treatment. Actaually mine is starting to bake on and get hard. I just kept riding it periodically till my exhaust temp guage reads a certain temp then i shut it off. We'll see how it holds up!

mywifeknowseverything
03-11-2004, 10:03 PM
I wounder if they can do Fork tubes??? Hmmmmmm

BLAZERONE22
03-11-2004, 10:36 PM
I bet they can, Keep in mind though they coat the inside and outside also.

mywifeknowseverything
03-11-2004, 11:41 PM
what problems would there be with the coating on the inside???? Not being a smart arse, just a question.....

BLAZERONE22
03-12-2004, 12:02 AM
I'm not sure how chemical resistant the stuff is, so you might want to find out first. I know powdercoating and alky don't get along to well, it left white blochy specks on my buddies R frame.

TRI Z Racer
03-12-2004, 06:35 AM
you may want to look into swaintec, its a companty in rochester new york, they coated a set of headers for a gsxr engine we put in a snowmobile (for school) its a swain/ceramic coating available in many colors and reduces radiant heat by alot. maybe an option....

TRI Z Racer
03-12-2004, 06:35 AM
you may want to look into swaintec, its a companty in rochester new york, they coated a set of headers for a gsxr engine we put in a snowmobile (for school) its a swain/ceramic coating available in many colors and reduces radiant heat by alot. maybe an option....

Dynofox
03-12-2004, 10:20 AM
swain tech does nice work, I had their coating on a slp single for my old xc 700. I will say it wouldn't be my first choice for ATV's though since the texture is very rough, kinda like sand paper and is white. This would be a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to clean baked mud off. For a sled though, worked great for me. Another place that offers ceramic coating that is the shiney type like blazer's is www.performancecoating.com.