PDA

View Full Version : CB 450 spark problem

Tri-Z
03-11-2004, 02:08 AM
I picked up a CB 450 with no title the other day and turned it into a three wheeler. Anyway, I'm not getting any spark. I'm not familiar with bikes like this with a battery. Where should I start to find out what's bad? Also, the bike kicks over great and feels like it has good compression. But when I hold in the clutch, the engine won't turnover with the kicker. I don't know about electric start, because it doesn't have a good battery in it.

Thanks
Josh

TimSr
03-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Im not familiar with that model in particualr, but most of the old Honda street models from 70's had to have a battery with a charge just to get spark, even with a manual kickstarter. Hooking up a battery charger works asa substitute. They also used breaker points late in the game and if yours has points, that would be the second place after assuring you have a good power source on the main cables.

Tri-Z
03-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Hey that took care of the spark problem. Thanks so much! After cleaning the carbs and spark plugs it fired up last night and ran strong. I'm pretty excited to ride this thing, once I get some shock mounts fabricated and other small stuff.

Josh

thefox
03-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Was it just the plugs that caused the spark problem or was there something else? I will be working on a cb 350 this summer for a friend and when I checked the spark in the fall it didn't get any. I didn't have the battery hooked up so that was probably it.