PDA

View Full Version : getting a raptor

yellowhammer
03-14-2004, 11:44 PM
im taking the money i had in the bank out and going to my yamaha dealership and buying a raptor. i wanted to get a new one so that i could break it in myself, because if i were to buy a 2nd hand one, it would have most likely have been revved so i wants to KNOW what im buying. well just thought id inform you all

smokinp
03-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Sweet! post some pics when you get it.

yellowhammer
03-14-2004, 11:59 PM
yea i will most definitely post some pics. i was wondering round about, how many hours of use before the engine is broke in good, because my friend has a 03 blaster and he has new reeds, K&N filter, and a fmf pipe and silencer, but he never broke his ion good, and another friend of mine has a 03 blasterwith only a fmf pipe and silencer, but he never put her to the bar, went slow on her for about 40 hours of use, and his is way faster than the other one...what is your opinion

J.D.
03-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Well I have some bad news for you, amigo. 2-stroke engines are broke in within the first half hour. I know of MANY people that idle them for the first 5 minutes and check for leaks, then go ride like they normally would. From what I've learned, it seems that the idea of honing and the rings, is to get a good contact, the rings wear down the peaks from the honing and make a good seal like that.

4-stroke engines need to be ran hard to break in. The way to do this is to supposedly hit it hard in 2nd and 3rd gear (wot), not for too long, then let it come back down. Engines broken in hard will last longer, and be more powerful due to better ring seal. I will try to find the site where I read this....

J.D.
03-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Here's the site that tells you how to break in: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

HemiChallenger71
03-16-2004, 07:50 PM
THAT IS THE WORST PIECE OF IMFORMATION I'VE EVER READ ONLINE. If anyone truly believes that, go ahead do what that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro does, and see what happens to your motor. Manufactures tell people to break in their engines a certan way so that they last the longest, and weather you believe that or not, they want you back in the show room because you bought a good vehicle not because you were in the service garage the entire time you've owned it. As far as most anything that you re-hone or re surface or rebuild, you use it easy untill everything is seated in place and all surfaces have worn evenly with each other.

And as someone else stated about that blaster and how the easy broken in one was faster than the one ridden hard, I've had the EXACT same thing happen to me and my buddies blaster. Also when u replace brakes or a clutch, you always drive or stop the vehicle easy so that all those surfaces can wear evenly and operate at their best.

bigred110
03-16-2004, 09:00 PM
This might be kinda funny, but I just found out that theirs a recall on all raptors. It concerns with the rear brake caliper. Air or something gets in the line and you have no rear brake.

Seems there is a recall on all Raptors 01-04.Apparently at certain high RPM's bubbles are forming in the rear brake cylinder and a complete loss of rear brake has been happening.A dampner kit is being installed by the dealer for free to correct the problem.

Xowner
03-16-2004, 09:42 PM
This might be kinda funny, but I just found out that theirs a recall on all raptors. It concerns with the rear brake caliper. Air or something gets in the line and you have no rear brake.

Seems there is a recall on all Raptors 01-04.Apparently at certain high RPM's bubbles are forming in the rear brake cylinder and a complete loss of rear brake has been happening.A dampner kit is being installed by the dealer for free to correct the problem.

HAHAHA BUY THE YFZ450!!!!

BigGreenMachine
03-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Sounds alright to me. I bought a 99 Kodiak and broke it in hard, let it warm up then a short half throttle run then WOT for a few gears(proving I was faster). My neighbour bought the same bike, minus the winch, rear bumper, and front rack extensions...he broke his in easy and every race we had afterwards I stomped him by two to three bike lenghts easy. Thats the way I'll break my Tecate in as well.

As for the Raptor Matt, hope ya gets it soon. See ya in school.

TRIKE
03-18-2004, 10:00 PM
MOst generally the oil in a new machine is a little thinner weight oil than most usually end up running.This done to aid in the break in of the motor.The thinner oil lets the motor work easier under all the tight tolerances of the rings and bearings and so fourth.Wether its a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. This said,its a good rule of thumb to let everything (settle ) before you get hog wild on it. Everyone has there views and all are correct for break ins,you cant pin one down to be wrong or right unless its blatenlly idiotic. I usually run a 4 stroke easy the first tank of gas and accelerate it hard but not fully after the motor is warm. It actually only takes about 5 minutes of a hot motor to seat the rings in,BUT! The bearings take a tad longer as well as the crank and clutches and other internals.This is where you end up having small metal shavings in the oil when you drain it.After this time with the new oil,start riding it harder.As for a 2 stroke,I give em about a half hr of running and riding easy to make everything seat in properly and then its go or blow,to date this process has worked for me consistently on a 2 stroke,but,I change the crank case oil after the first tank of riding.Hope this helps.PEACE!!

bigred110
03-18-2004, 11:43 PM
I just remebered that one of mom BF got a new raptor and he took it out to brake it in and stuff. The first trip he took his raptor to Pismo he lost 3 of the 4 bolts on the swing arm skid plate on his first run lol. So retighten the skid plate bolts after a couple runs. ;)

GreenLightening
03-24-2004, 01:41 AM
Here is the letter I got from yamaha in the mail. It is something about the rear brake reservior. In maybe one out of a million raptors the reservior will agitate enough to make air bubbles in the rear brake line when its run wide open. I have never had this problem and have not contacted my local dealership to have it fixed. maybe im crazy, but I just am not too worried. I also have a raptor rear brake reservior on my tecate. I have never had a problem with that either. I wonder if thats covered under the recall? Buy the raptor man, I wouldnt trade that sob for anything. its a great machine.

Groundworx
03-24-2004, 03:55 PM
I agree, the raptor is a great machine. I have read a lot of mag. articles on this quad. Some say they are near perfect, others say they are crap. I had a 02 Raptor Limited. I loved it. I didn't have a problem one with it. I wasn't crazy about the way it handled though. I bought the Raptor and a 400EX at the same time. The Raptor has awesome power, but it can't hold a candle to the handling of the 400EX. I know the 400EX is pretty much old news now, but at the time it was a serious quad. Anyway, I liked both quads. There were things about both I would have chnged though. Get a Raptor. If you are an experienced rider, you will be happy with the Raptor