PDA

View Full Version : It's Only Clicking.....Is That The Starter ?

junjun01
03-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Just got This 88 Mojave,When I Push On The Starter Button I Only Hear A Clicking Noise Coming From Like Under Where The Battery Is,I Even Try To Use Jumper Cables,Still,Just The same Noise!!.....Is The Starter Dead??...Any Ideas How To Test This???

J.D.
03-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Sounds to me like a solenoid is gone. It's a little deal with two cables connected on top. Find it, and try to put a screwdriver over the top two terminals. If it starts, you've got a bad solenoid. If it doesn't start, you've got a bad starter.

trikerider2oo7
03-15-2004, 01:20 PM
my big red used to do that...test the battery. i replaced mine and it worked just fine.

Macs
03-15-2004, 04:08 PM
well if it is clicking the solenoid is making contact. your starter is froze up or there is a bad connection between the starter and solenoid

TimSr
03-16-2004, 02:35 PM
The easy test is to take your jumper cables, and ground one, and hook the other directly on the starter. If it turnes over, your starter is good, if it doesnt, its bad. The click you hear is the solenoid energizing, and switching, but it does not necessarily mean the contacts in it are are any good. They can click away, but if a contact leg is burnt off inside, it doesnt help you. A solenoid is a switch, and can be checked with an ohm meter to be open or closed when energized.