PDA

View Full Version : Help with carb

Dirtcrasher
10-04-2002, 06:48 PM
My Honda 250sx pilot screw snapped off and now the carb is unusable - so I got one on ebay. But it had some serious old gas in it. I soaked it in gas but all the passages are clogged, I know that drill bits and pieces of wire are not good - I can disassemble as much as possible but any suggestions as to what I can soak this in to clean it? Anyone know how to get out the starting jet and the float shut off brass insert which are pressed in without damaging them? Thank you!

jeswinehart
10-05-2002, 07:40 PM
i figured some other more experianced folks would give you some input but they probbly busy so i just want to say that i have had good luck with a peice of small wire, carb cleaner + a air hose to blow thru the small ports on a crab. and if it's pressed in, i would veiw that as it ain't supposed to come out.

good luck,,,,,,,,,, john

Studytime
11-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Well, like it's been said carb cleaner, compressed air, and patience. I'd pick up a few cans of some good carb cleaner and spray everything really well. Let it soak and then attack. You are right the varnished gas will be difficult to remove. Take a screw driver and flake it off of the flat surfaces by scratching it. A brush may also help. If the carb cleaner doesn't dislodge all of the obstructions, you may try to soak your hard parts in Castrol Super Clean. It's mean stuff... it will dry your hands out and peel skin off of them. Very basic pH. Once they've been soaking use wire to clean all small passages out. Just be careful and excercise patience. Take a piece of small, say 18g, wire and cut the insulation off of it. You could use the small diameter copper stands to clean out passages. The aluminum/brass is not going to be damaged by such a small wire as it will bend first.

Make sure you don't get the strong cleaners on any rubber seals. It'll eat them up. Clean her out real good. You should be thinking 'surgical clean'.

You're on the right track and should be able to make it function like a commercially rebuilt unit.

Studytime

bigredhead
11-10-2004, 02:57 PM
I used a few bristles from my broom.. nylon strands, i figured it would be safer than metal wire.

air canisters for cleaning computer boards work if you don't have a full sized pressure tank, not as good ,but works.

a carb rebuild kit, www.mfgsupply.com 12.55 $ us. to replace all the guts if you have to.

are the jets from the other carb usable ?