PDA

View Full Version : what is the difference x ring & o ring

fishy_inn
03-18-2004, 09:56 AM
What is the difference between x ring and o ring chains?

Jeb
03-18-2004, 10:00 AM
It's the cross section of the o-ring itself. If you cut the rings and look into the end, the o-ring is perfectly round. the x-ring has a shape similar to an "X".

whiteman350x
03-18-2004, 10:39 AM
And the x-ring chain has pretty gold sideplates :D .

Jeb
03-18-2004, 11:37 AM
And the x-ring chain has pretty gold sideplates :D .

Yeah, I know! I recently put an x-ringer on my Z! :D

Red Rider
03-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Fishy, while all of the previous responses are correct, I think you're probably wondering why an x-ring chain even exists. The x-ring is the latest generation in chain technology. Because of the "X" shaped cross-section of the o-rings, it reduces the friction between the chain links, while still sealing them. All that adds up to more power to the rear wheels. Plus, the master-link is easier to install than a standard o-ring chain because the x-rings compress much easier.

Jeb
03-19-2004, 11:04 AM
... Plus, the master-link is easier to install than a standard o-ring chain because the x-rings compress much easier.

:shock: They may claim that, but it was still tough to get it clipped on mine. The X shape helps to trap a little grease between the plates and x-rings, which also helps reduce friction.

I saw no horsepower increases in switching from an O-ring chain to an X-ring on my Tri-Z.

Red Rider
03-22-2004, 02:26 AM
I saw no horsepower increases in switching from an O-ring chain to an X-ring on my Tri-Z.

Yeah Jeb, I doubt you'd be able to feel any horsepower increase by just switching chains, but every little bit helps, whether it's reduced friction, lighter components, or more power.

jenndnn3
03-22-2004, 11:12 AM
I am getting ready to do a full swapout on my 350x. I was gonna go with the O ring chain, and do not not know about the X ring you all are talkin about. Can you give some comparrisons on prices vs life of the chains.

TimSr
03-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Think of X-Ring as an updated O-Ring. Its "new an improved" in theory but dont expect anything significant over the O-ring. Aside from the "technical" differences mentioned here, thing of O-Ring and X-Ring as the same thing. Some MFG's dont even offer O-Ring any more, and what youll find is they have been phasing out O-ring chains for a few years now, and X-ring chains have been becomming the standard replacement, but most people continue to call their new X-ring chains, "O-ring". Technically, they both are O-ring chains.