PDA

View Full Version : Snowmobile motors in a go-kart?

hondatrikesrule22
03-26-2004, 12:33 AM
I think I remember someone on here talking about it. I don't know too much about sleds, but they have a rubber belt comin off the crank don't they? Kinda like the kart I bought about a week ago,it has a belt comin off the crank/ clutch and attachs to a jackshaft. My kart has a open rear end, enough for a sled motor :twisted: .Anyway can someone shine some light on the subject? thanx

Lots_Of_Nothing
03-26-2004, 07:44 AM
sled motors use a slipper clutch.., theres a more technical name for it,, but im unaware of it, i just call it a slipper clutch.., as the revs of the motor go up, it pulls the clutch in and grabs the belt, wich in turn makes the belt move and turn the rear wheels., sled motors are very popular for use in go carts., i myself have made a few,, very simple to do.., just have to get a sled motor., some mounts., and make sure you line the clutches up right.,, i say the hardest part is finding the right size belt for a custom job like that., but i just take some measurments and go to a auto parts store and find a belt that meets the requirements that i need.

let me know if theres something else i didnt answer..

hondatrikesrule22
03-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Yes, this is what I thought.Did you use all of the electrical? Now I guess I have to save some money,and find someone that will sell the motor WITH carbs,recoil starter,mufflers and electrical. :x :D

yamaha200E
03-26-2004, 06:07 PM
yea same here. im getting the biggest motor i can find. boy is she gonna rip. i thought about putting a crotch rocket trany on it. but dont kniow if this is possable.
kyle

Lots_Of_Nothing
03-26-2004, 09:02 PM
i got a couple older sled motors that make for real good go-cart engines., let me check around tomorrow and see what i got

YAMAHA_Jim
03-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Sleds use a centrifical clutch and use a belt drive instead of a chain drive. http://home.howstuffworks.com/chainsaw4.htm
A go kart would fly /w a sled engine if you get the gearing right.

hondatrikesrule22
03-27-2004, 04:56 AM
Cool,I like how painless the installation will be... :-D Now, if I can just find a good,cheap motor...

84250r
03-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Cool,I like how painless the installation will be... :-D Now, if I can just find a good,cheap motor...

Do a search on ebay"snowmobile engine" or "snowmobile" you should have no problem finding a cheap motor. Just depends on what brand your wanting.

samster143
03-29-2004, 12:26 AM
Use one with like 180hp!

cliff2302
03-29-2004, 08:53 PM
I used to race dwarf cars, they are like big go-carts with crotch rocket motors. they are very simple to build. you turn the motor sideways and put an adapter on the outpu shaft of the motor that allows a u-joint to bolt up which you would then run to a toyota rear end. pretty simple, and those things flew. i have an extra home-made chasis that i'm gonna make a dune buggy out of this summer if i can find a motor for it. look them up on the internet, i think there called modified light s now, it could give you some good ideas.
Joe

yamaha200E
03-29-2004, 08:54 PM
i think im goin to get the biggest crotch rocket motor i can find with the tranny off it. chain drive if possible.