PDA

View Full Version : do i keep it or buy a street bike

HemiChallenger71
03-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Well this year I'm a senior in High school, and I've been pretty busy, and will continue to be, and I NEVER ride my 250R. Just sits there, I started it for the first time in about a month or more, and rode it around the yard a bit and put it away. I can't ride anywhere near my house anymore because it's all houses now, and the other place I used to ride about 10 minutes away is also having houses built as we speak on it. I don't have a truck, nor could I afford to own it, to transport my 3 wheeler either. I think it may be time to sell the machine, as much as I dis like having to. Any time I can/will be getting off work will consist of senior events and cars/going to the drag strip, I'm driving my mustang now. I still plan on going to trikefest weather I ride or not just to meet everyone, I have time set aside for that. Another good reason for me to sell my 3 wheeler would be to buy a street bike, a lot of my friends own them now, and I have people I can ride with if I want to. A bike is quite practical for me if I were to get one. Can anyone justify me not selling my 3 wheeler? I don't really want to.

TimSr
03-30-2004, 11:33 AM
A beater van makes an inexpensive ATV transport. If its in your budget you can store it, and it will be worth a lot more someday, but being a collector is a rick mans hobby. If you go to two wheel street riding, you might consider one of the big enduro models that can still satisfy the occasional urge to geta little muddy. Its up to you to set your own priorities, but if I had to choose between holding onto something I really liked, even though i couldnt use it, and something else I liked, but not as much, but was actuallyy going to use, Id go wioth the second option.

thefox
03-30-2004, 11:48 AM
I have the same problem. Almost all the places that I used to ride are now being developed and although I have a trailer I have no place to go. I sold my trike last fall because i wasn't using it as much as I used to. I still have a couple of trikes but that is just because I like to work on them, once they are fixed they will probably suffer the fate of my last one. If you just need transportation then look into a trailer.

Eric
03-30-2004, 04:23 PM
dont do it man! dont throw your life away just for a street bike!!!!!!
ok ok so maybe im being a little too much against the idea. lol but its still a bad idea.... am i right???

HemiChallenger71
03-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Up to this point I hadn't considered a street bike as much untill I saw what I wanted and the insurance prices for it. A Honda Nighthawk 750 with low miles for $2,500, and insurance is $200.00 a year for it, and I'm 18 and under my own policy. Now I need to sell the trike I guess. TimSr helped me to understand it more. It's pointless to have the thing sit here and get used 3 or 4 times a year, when someone else could use it more often and enjoy it. As much as I like my 3 wheeler I can use the streetbike everyday and the girlfriend can too.

P.S. I could tow a trailer with a mustang, although I don't know if I would want to.

atckowalski
03-30-2004, 09:00 PM
I've got a street bike or two I might trade you for your R.For some unknown reason I can't post the pics though :'( PM me your email.

ATC crazy
03-30-2004, 09:08 PM
If I were you, I would hold on to the R. If/When you sell it, you will be kicking yourself in the butt every day after that (trust me, I know). I would change the oil, empty the gas, clean the gas tank/hoses/carb/petcock, flush the radiator, grease everything, deflate the tires and set her on blocks in the basement and start looking for a job (if you don't already have one). But, its your decision. IMO, I would keep the R and look for a Honda 600-650 Enduro...

nate b
03-30-2004, 09:53 PM
I would definatly find a cheaper bike if you never owned one before. just in case you dont like it or dump it you will still have the R. Its also a shame having them parked all winter long. buy a 300 dollar beater, when your 20-25 buy a real bike