PDA

View Full Version : titanium

trikerider2oo7
03-31-2004, 06:44 PM
does titanium rust? i dont think it does but i'm not sure.

88 Turbo Coupe
03-31-2004, 08:35 PM
If it does then the space shuutle is in really big trouble.

cliff2302
04-01-2004, 12:08 AM
no oxygen in space for it to rust with

hondatrikesrule22
04-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Put a magnet on it.If the magnet sticks, it WILL rust.Aluminum,stainless,nickel,and some others will not rust, and the magnet does not stick to them.

200xman
04-01-2004, 07:26 AM
no oxygen in space for it to rust with

But there's plenty of oxygen here on Earth where they spend most of their time. :rolleyes:

Jeb
04-01-2004, 10:23 AM
I'm pretty sure it won't rust. It may "weather" over time being exposed to the elements. It's tough stuff.

Mobular
04-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Apparently it will NOT rust as it is one of the materials used in pierced jewellry...

Kilborg
04-01-2004, 02:50 PM
The most commonly found titanium is actually an alloy. It will not rust. In the same light, it is also very strong and very light, as compared to other commonly used metals. There are carbon fibers and such that are even stronger and lighter nowadays, but this all comes at a price. Consequently, Titanium (and its superiors) is expensive stuff.

NICKG
04-01-2004, 04:10 PM
while titanium does not rust, it does work harden...meaning that it tends to crack like aluminum does(aluminum corrodes badly btw) it is very hard to weld and work with. there are grades of stainless that DO rust, they typically turn a shade of brown when aging. the choice of material depends on what the end use will be. stainless also has a bad tendency to crack as well. as far as composites, the strenght that you are refering to is called tensile strength, however composites also need to be carefully chosen to do the proper job, the designers use carbon fiber for teisile strength and aramid fibers(such as kevlar) for abrasion resistance. these ar often weaved together to get a hybrid material that offers a combination of charateristics. ( i am a huge F1 fan and have studied the use of these materials a lot and i am trying to teach myself how to make things with it)

broook
04-01-2004, 09:06 PM
I have some 1" and 3/4' titanium tubing. Had it for a few years now. i was going to build a m/cycle frame but gave up. It has not rusted yet. Very difficult to drill. Very difficult to bend. :(