PDA

View Full Version : Ekly SS

DOGBONE
04-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Hey guys, I found a 75 Elky SS in the paper last night. It use to have a 454 in it but they pulled that and the transmission and selling it with no motor or transmission. I'm thinking about buying it and fixing it up cause I already got a wore out 350 to drop in it, but it needs a rebuild and for a transmission I would probably go with an automatic with overdrive if it came with automatic from the factory. It would also probably get way better gas mileage than my old Ford right now because I think my Ford gets around 10 mpg.

Does anyone here got any El Caminos?

I'll probably go look at it this weekend if he hasn't sold it yet.

Best of all this Elky is selling for $350.00

J.D.
04-09-2004, 10:51 PM
I have an 85 SS. Have a 350/TH350 I'm gonna put in it. 350 bucks is a sweet price if it's in decent condition. I plan to focus on fuel economy for mine, but it is going to have power on tap so when I hit the gas it's gonna fly.....yeeeee haw!

DOGBONE
04-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Hey cool another Elky person. I use to want a 69 Elky when I was younger.

Do you have the aftermarket nose for yours? They had an Elky on TRUCKS! once and they some kind of aftermarket nose on it that didn't make it look like a granny car from the front.

The guy said the body was straight, just a little dent on passenger side door.

Is your Elky a daily driver or just something you picked up to restore into a driver again? Did you ever find out what kind of gas mileage it got?

I'm also wondering what kind of rearend gears this Elky has that I'm gonna go look at? Do you know what rearend gears yours has?

bigred110
04-10-2004, 03:14 AM
I got a 84 elco with 4.3L with TH 350. It got about 20mpg on the highway.
The rearend 79-86 has the 7.5 and they're the weak one. That rearend in the one that you're looking at is a 8.5 10 bolt I think but not sure.
Thair's a company called U.S. body(I think) and they sell plastic body panels.
I also got couple elco websites if you need parts, but they're more west companies.
Mine was a daily driver but I drove that thing through hell and back couple times so that thing is parked for the time being. It kinda smoked last time I started and that was after it sat for a year.

J.D.
04-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Well..mine is...let's just say a mess. My dad bought it in Vegas 10 years ago, we moved a ways out of town and it sat in our back yard for almost 10 years with the rear window removed and left window down. Reason it got parked is there was another guy in town who wanted the V6 in it, and he would give us his engine and tranny...(V8)....we brought them to the mechanic, our engine and tranny got took and 6 months down the road we had an El Camino with no engine and tranny.

Now that I'm 16 and moving time and college is right around the corner, I figured this would be a good vehicle. Right now it's sitting directly behind my house. I gutted the interior. This summer I plan to install the glass, rebuild engine and tranny, and make the interior presentable. It needs body work done, but I don't give a sh!t what it looks like on the outside as long as it's decent inside, and runs good. I'll post some pics sometime.