PDA

View Full Version : Help with wireless network

BLAZERONE22
04-11-2004, 07:35 PM
I need help installing my wireless network, I'm not very good with this stuff, I have broadband cable, a hub, a wireless network access point, and a wireless network adapter and a laptop, and a home pc running xp, how do I hook all this crap[ up. do I have everything I need. The wife brought this stuff home and expects me to know how to hook it up. NOT I need help please!

jeswinehart
04-11-2004, 08:43 PM
this sounds like a job for TimSr.

john

ATCnut
04-12-2004, 12:32 AM
You are missing something from your pile of parts, a router. Your broadband cable only gives you one IP address. Are you sure that it is a wireless access point and not a wireless router?? If this is new stuff the instructions that come with are pretty good. Im in LA stealing wireless from one of my wife's grandma's neighbors right now, so you also want to get your security set right. If you are still working on this next week, I can get on and chat with you, will not be too hard to set up.

TheOlderFox
04-12-2004, 10:43 AM
This is how you would want to set it up. Cable to cable modem. - router (wired or wireless (if you are connecting 1+ computers) - ethernet/LAN card on your computer.
If this hub you are referring to is a ethernet hub, you don't need it. A router will split your line for multiple computers. Insert the wireless card into the laptop and follow the instructions for setup that way, depending on the manufacturer, it may set itself up, but maybe not. The router will have a line in, that comes from the modem, and multiple line outs. You will then need to run a line to your desktop PC. Under IE set it to LAN use under connections. Of course all of this is with RJ45 cables except for the COAX to the modem. Good luck.

DOGBONE
04-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Make sure you got XP Pro also, XP Home sucks with networking.